Can an ideal skull set be achieved?
Definitely, it's just up to us to point 343 in the right direction. The community knows best when it comes to Halo as we're willing to pour in so much time and effort into bettering the overall experience for everyone. Although personally I think a rehash of the Halo 2 skull set would be the best option, even I can see that there are some skulls in there that should either be tweaked or removed.A blueprint from which to work from
Every Halo game so far has included these ones and they work together like a well-oiled machine.
- Iron - Restart level on death in sp, revert to last checkpoint in co-op
- Black Eye - Melee to recharge shields
- Mythic - Double enemy health
- Thunderstorm - Enemies are upgraded to highest rank
- Blind/Fog - HUD removed/radar removed
- Sputnik/Cowbell - All object masses are reduced/physics impulses are increased x3
- IWHBYD - Rare dialogue is common, common dialogue unchanged
- Grunt Birthday Party - Grunts explode into confetti upon headshot death
- Black Eye in Halo 2 only rewarded shields on enemy death by melee, with 3/ODST/Reach rewarding shields on successful hits and would recharge uninterupted until hit again. A merger of the two could provide a new twist for players; gaining overshields, but only if they can keep up the hits without taking damage in return.
- Mythic needs to work on the randomised enemy flinch mechanic, by which enemies can potentially flinch from any attack received. CEA changed that due to enemies flinching only when they've lost half their health or more.
- Fog is just a redundant side effect of Blind and isn't entirely necessary with Blind in play. It's either one or the other, but a skull like Malfunction is a semi-decent middle ground.
- Sputnik and Cowbell are essentially the same, one just reducing mass, the other increasing physics impulses. Sputnik visually seems to be more prominent in its effects.
As for remaining skulls, I haven't completely determined what would be suited for Halo 4, so in the meantime I ask for constructive feedback on the matter.
You can find skull lists here (Halo 2)
, here (3/ODST/Reach)
, and here (CEA)
Please leave comments, thoughts, any arguements for/against any of my points etc and I'll try and get back at responding to them.