Notification

Icon
Error

12Next >2 Pages
This may be a bit of a problem, seeing as they have no tongues or lower lips. This pretty much rules out more than half the English alphabet.
They have tongues, you just don't see them. It was mentioned in Cole Protocol. It is probably behind their mandibles.
It is stated that they have trouble with some words.

Besides, concidering that we have never met an Elite in real life, we have no idea how good they might be at speaking our language.

They might speak it even better than we do for all anybody knows.
During the games you are usually listening through a translator.

But they do have problems speaking. For example: Glasslands- Philips was pronounced Phillis. They have trouble with the letter P.
Build an Archive of the story you love.
@HaloArchive
-The Halo Archive Awaits
Sangheili (Elites) do not speak or fully understand English. Every Halo game's cut scene was described to be depictions that the Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) used to represent information made by discoveries and research. As one mostly sees the story through the main characters VISR (with the exception of Halo Wars, where you are technically Sergeant John Forge commanding the entire present ground forces), the player uses a translation service to translate native Covenant languages that Sangheili and other species used. In Halo: Reach, there was no translation service used. Some of these translators were used in some variants of the MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armour, but others like Sergeant Forge used this same translation service through unknown means. We can only speculate that it was surgically implanted into the temporal lobe of the brain, so they are equipped the ready understanding of some Covenant languages, or something alike. Master Chief Petty Officer John-117 had a translation service that was updated on 20 October, 2552 when he was given his MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armour/Mark VI aboard Cairo Station. Prior to this update, Master Chief wore the MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armour/Mark V and could only translate speech from Unggoy (Grunts). After his armour was updated, the translation service offered translation to the native languages of Unggoy, Kig-Yar (Jackals), Jiralhanae (Brutes), and San’Shyuum (Prophets). The moral of the story is that Sangheili do not speak English or any other human languages and probably never will.
BedfastRocket00;503246 wrote:
The moral of the story is that Sangheili do not speak English or any other human languages and probably never will.

Why do you say that?

BedfastRocket00 wrote:
Every Halo game's cut scene was described to be depictions that the Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) used to represent information made by discoveries and research.

I have never heard of this before. Where was this mentioned?
I've heard about that theory too, with the ONI depictions of all the cutscenes. I honestly cannot remember where I got that, but I'm fairly certain that it does state that somewhere.

SOMEWHERE.
Halo 2 and 3 have English speaking Elites for the same reason that characters in every movie that takes place in medieval France speak English with an English accent.
It all just disappears, doesn't it? Everything you are, gone in a moment, like breath on a mirror. Any moment now...
ONI does certain things to make specific ideas more realistic and meaningful. ONI uses their own translation services to translate speech from other species that were conjoined into the Covenant. But, as you said, they have medieval European accents when they speak. This is done for the same reason that Cortana and the rest of her kind were given appearances to give them a theme. Serena, for instance, was given a theme that represented a lady in some kind of office/laboratory uniform. This does not mean she is stronger in science or organization; she’s simply an artificial intelligence (AI). I am not entirely sure why Cortana is represented as a sexually disturbing, naked woman. Doctor Catherine Elizabeth Halsey is the one who designed and programmed Cortana, but I doubt that she idealized the design. Someone else probably told her to do it. That said, ONI developed translations, and then gave them an accent to give it more meaning. Historians and students want not only to know what their saying, but also want to add some of their own perspective in the mix.
The arbiter speaks better English then me, and I'm BRITISH?!?!
The moral of the story is that Sangheili do not speak English or any other human languages and probably never will.

you should probably read glassland
You're assuming that they need lips and tongues to speak, and don't have a throat full of cricket legs or something truly alien. Parrots don't have lips and talk all the time.

Sangheili (Elites) do not speak or fully understand English. Every Halo game's cut scene was described to be depictions that the Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) used to represent information made by discoveries and research. As one mostly sees the story through the main characters VISR (with the exception of Halo Wars, where you are technically Sergeant John Forge commanding the entire present ground forces), the player uses a translation service to translate native Covenant languages that Sangheili and other species used. In Halo: Reach, there was no translation service used. Some of these translators were used in some variants of the MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armour, but others like Sergeant Forge used this same translation service through unknown means. We can only speculate that it was surgically implanted into the temporal lobe of the brain, so they are equipped the ready understanding of some Covenant languages, or something alike. Master Chief Petty Officer John-117 had a translation service that was updated on 20 October, 2552 when he was given his MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armour/Mark VI aboard Cairo Station. Prior to this update, Master Chief wore the MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armour/Mark V and could only translate speech from Unggoy (Grunts). After his armour was updated, the translation service offered translation to the native languages of Unggoy, Kig-Yar (Jackals), Jiralhanae (Brutes), and San’Shyuum (Prophets). The moral of the story is that Sangheili do not speak English or any other human languages and probably never will.

I know that this info came from novels, but I hate thinking that the only reason the player understands them is because John has a translator. How is it that the elites can understand humans? I also read somewhere that some of the grunts/elites had learned to speak english, and that is what it should be, unless they create the entire halo universe from scratch and make the scenes with Arbiter and other covenant species speak their language, but show that its because of a translator that you as the player can understand them. I always hated how the this aspect of the fiction didnt make sense.
Fal Cinadee;504503 wrote:

I need to get on that. Even though I'm a huge Halo fan, I've never touched the literature for some reason.
JotunCorp;505391 wrote:
Fal Cinadee;504503 wrote:

I need to get on that. Even though I'm a huge Halo fan, I've never touched the literature for some reason.

Definitely worth it i don't enjoy reading as much as i should ive always had a high reading level just never fully entertained, but with the halo books i was hook especially if u get super excited learning anything u can about halo.

But yes Elites can definitely speak English they say that they can speak it 100% and have issues with certain parts of the language but they can as for other covenant they can as well yes they have a translator which is why you're supposed to be able to understand them in games mostly. but have been said in newer book that alot of them can understand human in fact they had grunt translating human coms chatter.
Multiple areas of the fiction mention that the Covenant studied human languages, and many were trained to speak and read it, just like humans studied Covenent languages. In war, intelligence is very important.
Actually, on several occasions they speak English without assistance of translators. For example, when the Arby and Rtas are talking to Hood or in basically all of Glasslands.
Solution to the lips problem:
Take your dominant hand and hold your lip apart
Speak some of these lines the arbiter says like you normally would.

As you see, your teeth can make a pretty good substitute for lips. Now that is if your teeth are just always showing... the Sangheili have 4 mandibles which they can use to block the air being forced out of the lungs to help make a more pronounced "P" "B" or "M". Everything else can do a good job with using the teeth alone.

With practice, you would be able to learn how to make a B, M, and P sound by using your tongue to block off certain passage of air.

:D
Also, ventriloquists do it all the time.
Lehnaru;503475 wrote:
Halo 2 and 3 have English speaking Elites for the same reason that characters in every movie that takes place in medieval France speak English with an English accent.

yeah they do have a heavy accent, and the grunts are the ones i think that speak it better then any of the covies...My question still sits though what about the prophets..they are very well spoken with our language!
12Next >2 Pages