Notification

Icon
Error

12Next >2 Pages
With dedicated servers. This would kill me. All i've ever wanted to see in Halo are giant wars. A billion people running into combat with tanks and warthogs. Make it happen 343.

DISCLAIMER: THERE WOULD ALSO BE ORIGINAL GAME MODES
Well it is next gen console so it isn't limited by the console performance. But a massive vehicle fight would be very hard to balance.
Still sounds awesome though, like the halo reach cutscene, or the halo 2/3 testing video where there is global battle.
tinfoil alert.
In all seriousness, I think Halo 5 will need something like this in order to stay interesting and compete with what games will be doing next gen.

This would be a genuine innovation for the Halo games, and Halo could use a little innovation. It's been 5 years already.
Jazzii Man;2689736 wrote:
In all seriousness, I think Halo 5 will need something like this in order to stay interesting and compete with what games will be doing next gen.

This would be a genuine innovation for the Halo games, and Halo could use a little innovation. It's been 5 years already.

Agreed, Halo 5 needs to show its on a next-gen console. Lately, the bar has been raised with next gen games:
Destiny: 2:10(ish) Huge Playable Space
Battlefield 4's Frostbite 3 engine showing some really dynamic features (with 64 players [PLUS 2 COMMANDERS!])
Forza's beautiful graphics
and Watchdog's.... well awesomeness
I personally do not think that 64 player matches would be good in halo. Just isnt the right type of game for it. 343 would have to spend a lot of time making HUGE maps to fit all these players and every game would just be Supper BTB Heavy. I feel that Halo is much more personal player based arena shooter. Having a basically all vehicle game type would take away from the competitiveness that the franchise needs to stay alive. 64 player matches would overall detract from halo and it should not be the basis of what the halo games are from now on.

Quote:
Agreed, Halo 5 needs to show its on a next-gen console. Lately, the bar has been raised with next gen games:
Destiny: 2:10(ish) Huge Playable Space
Battlefield 4's Frostbite 3 engine showing some really dynamic features (with 64 players [PLUS 2 COMMANDERS!])
Forza's beautiful graphics
and Watchdog's.... well awesomeness

I dont believe that adding many more players and a wider play area will make halo "innovative" or "next generation"
all the games you listed above are very different from halo. dont give me the "destiny is very simular, its made by bungie and has aliens" bungie approached destiny to be an MMO exploration game with no PvP.
LilSatanSlayer;2689872 wrote:
I personally do not think that 64 player matches would be good in halo. Just isnt the right type of game for it. 343 would have to spend a lot of time making HUGE maps to fit all these players and every game would just be Supper BTB Heavy. I feel that Halo is much more personal player based arena shooter. Having a basically all vehicle game type would take away from the competitiveness that the franchise needs to stay alive. 64 player matches would overall detract from halo and it should not be the basis of what the halo games are from now on.

Who says that EVERY playlist would need to be like that?

So far, every time I've seen someone disagree with halo having playlists with even bigger teams, it's because they assume it would replace 4v4/smaller gametpyes. But why on Earth is that assumption made?
Could Halo 5 not have both?

I agree that 4v4 type playlists and competitiveness are SUPER important for Halo, but Halo has always thrived with both Big Team AND 4v4/smaller gametypes. So why can't it continue to do that?
I was looking at making a 64 player game type become a major selling point for the next game to detract. It would also take away from developers focusing on smaller game types. I just believe that the quality of the smaller playlist would be jeopardized. Thanks for pointing that out I should of emphasized my point more clearly.
LilSatanSlayer;2690069 wrote:
I was looking at making a 64 player game type become a major selling point for the next game to detract. It would also take away from developers focusing on smaller game types. I just believe that the quality of the smaller playlist would be jeopardized. Thanks for pointing that out I should of emphasized my point more clearly.

I personally think that the small team CQC formula is great. In fact its because 343 didn't have a bigger playlist/gametype to focus on that they ended up added different features which a lot of people didn't like.

Bigger gametypes won't harm smaller gametypes. At the minute, the population of halo 4 shows both sides are harmed, making big team bigger can't hurt small team any more can it?

EDIT: I had a similar argument with someone about campaign matchmaking.

They said: It would decrease population of multiplayer matchmaking

WRONG. If people are going to play campaign, they're going to play campaign, whether its with a friend, on their own or with strangers. In fact being able to play the campaign more freely may even encourage campaign players to expand on their gamemodes.
Also, I'm not to bothered how big the teams would be for Big Team War, but 8v8 seems rather pathetic tbh. I mean both teams together are half a 32v32 team. AT LEAST make it a 16v16
I am saying that the time it would take making huge maps plus balancing the game for 64 players and all the time and money that it could take would most likely detract from the quality of other parts of the game such as smaller game types. Also using 64 player games in my opinion would not be the best selling point. Anyway if that were to happen halo would be ridiculed as a BF4 copy.

I believe that it would not be the best decision for 343 to jump from 8v8 to 32v32. Its just way to big of a leap.
1. I beleive small team battles 4v4 etc. are good as they are. They need new maps. thats it.

2. 343 are funded by microsoft so have the $$$ and are a team of 'many talents' why can't they do a BTW?

3. Doesn't have to be 64 players could just be 16v16 - half. That'll do for me.

4. My first point: If 343/MS want people to continue playing halo, they are going to have up their game (pardon the pun) as standards have been substantially elevated - examples shown before.

O/W, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Hell to the yeah. But then this will be accused of being a BF4 clone.
[/quote]
I dont believe that adding many more players and a wider play area will make halo "innovative" or "next generation"
all the games you listed above are very different from halo. dont give me the "destiny is very simular, its made by bungie and has aliens" bungie approached destiny to be an MMO exploration game with no PvP.[/quote]

Incorrect. Bungie has stated that Destiny WILL have competitive multiplayer, but they are being very secretive about it. I think this is mostly because of how many people have dropped from Halo. They want to keep as much of that desire for what could be the two most missed elements of halo games: Arena multiplayer and firefight.
I could very easily see Bungie picking up some old fragments of their former franchise, and if you think they aren't keeping an eye on Halo, you're nuts.

What will be truly interesting is whether or not 343 takes heed of Bungie's new series going forward. The trailer for the xbox announcement looked like destiny up until you saw the battle skin.

All that said, I agree with you. 343 doesn't need to continue making halo feel or accommodate what other shooters give to players. What 343 needs to do if they want to innovate is to take into account what the limits of their universe are... very little... and they need to go for it. I say they should push infinity as far as possible... but they should also provide variety and grant what the dormant community wants: Classic Halo. Give us both going forward.

Shove us off on a crazy adventure that has roots hundreds of thousands of years ago involving battles between our caretakers and our ancestors. But give us Halo multiplayer too. With such a large capacity hardwarewise, and with as much support from Microsoft as they could ever want, 343 is finally primed to give us what Halo 4 lacks: Variety that includes classic options. Just think about the 25 gametypes we've lost by the time this game came out. If they're smart, they'll make Halo 5 the biggest and baddest Halo of all time. They'll have to. The competition is far too great.

I have always though halo could accommodate a large open world battle game. You could have segregated or highlighted sects of a given team. Hell, the specializations in Halo 4 are primed for that.

An assault squad for close range rushing
A sniper Squad
An areal squad of pilots
An armored division
A tactical or recon division that has access to infinity drops for the whole team and provides overwatch

All that could work for Covenant, UNSC, or even Forerunner command structures. You could probably even do flood! It's super out there, and won't be what we get, but I've always seen it.

But I've also always known that at it's core, the MP for Halo is intimate and in your face. Thus we need variety. Give it all to us. Let us have epic battles that push the limits of the next generation, and provide us with hours of massive engagements that last for HOURS!

But also give us quick and clean matches that let us express all our desire to learn weapon spawns, control map positions, and push objectives. Give us everything, and you'll have a HUGE fan base going forward.
LilSatanSlayer;2690069 wrote:

I get that and I understand what your worries are, but I don't think that it would have to detract from 4v4.
Not that I can see into the future or anything, but I can imagine that it would draw people back to Halo (for finally having something new that doesn't break gamepaly) and perhaps even help the smaller gametypes.

As long as they put enough care into all playlists, and didn't just focus on the bigger ones, I think it would be alright. Hopefully anyway.
i tend not to like the larger game types because my impact as an individual becomes diluted. I get that my preference doesn't reflect all or even most people, but I wonder at what point the game gets large enough that it just starts feeling like your actions are inconsequential.
RavensHal0;2691783 wrote:
i tend not to like the larger game types because my impact as an individual becomes diluted. I get that my preference doesn't reflect all or even most people, but I wonder at what point the game gets large enough that it just starts feeling like your actions are inconsequential.

I don't think that would matter so much in gametypes that have so many people in them.
It's almost like the difference between ranked and social. Smaller gametypes would be for when you are in a more competitive mood, and larger gametypes for when you just want some crazy/chaotic fun.

When it comes to such large gametypes, I certainly wouldn't care about how much control I have on the outcome of the game. It becomes more about the action.
Battlefield 4 (part of a series known for large-scale battles and vehicular combat) will only feature 32v32 on PC, and will have 16v16 on XB1 and PS4(as far as I know). I'm not sure if it's even technologically feasible for Halo to do this, lots of the XB1's power is going to be dedicated to making the game look good and play smoothly. 16v16 augmented by AI teammates might work, though.

It is beyond difficult for developers to create AI that act like real players. Its just no feasible right now with time constraints and the manpower it would take. Its also not a big issue for the developers to work on compared to the many other more important things. AI like elites and marine AI could work but it would not be as fun in a competitive standpoint.
I would only say yes as long as we still allowed more traditional modes as well.

Not everyone likes the crap-storm that large pvp matches can become (depends on map/gameplay mechanics/game mode)
12Next >2 Pages