Notification

Icon
Error

12Next >2 Pages
Hello everyone, I would like everyone to rate all maps released from 343i.

My goal is that they might be able to derive some useful information on the communities comments and that might better help them in the future with map design.

Please copy and paste the below text and write in your points/comments, feel free to add more selections, I only went up to 3 to keep it brief.

Please note for rating 1 is worst, 10 is best.

Also please note I kept FORGE ISLAND, RAVINE, IMPACT and EROSION out due their nature of being forge world maps, I wish to focus on developer built maps.

I have the intention of linking 343i employees via twitter to this after a decent number of responses.

Top three maps you like (rate in order of preference):

And why do you like them?

Rate top 3 maps that you do not like:

And why do you dislike them?

Also, please rate your overall experience in terms of enjoyment with the Halo 4 Multiplayer, and give a short explanation if you would like.

Lastly, for you, what is the best Halo game you have played and quickly tell me why you felt it's the best?

Lastly, out of all the Halo games, which game had the overall best multiplayer maps and why?
I'm just going to start this off in a more focused way by rating the map I feel the strongest about.

EXILE

Rate 1-10: 6

Preferred game types: Dominion

List likes:

1. Asymmetric Design

2. More-abundant-than-average cover for a Halo map.

3. Useful interior combat spaces (the presence there of in a BTB map.)

List dislikes:

1. The few long sight lines (from sniper, from cliff base)

2. Still not enough cover, complexity in interior spaces, no interactive elements

3. Vehicle selection (too much power)

Personal thoughts on this map:

A step forward from what we were getting from bungie, providing a range of viable strategies in a map that doesn't present any single uber-space, but it still suffers from the usual Halo conventions of putting too much power and too many long sight lines into a game that plays best in protracted mid-ranged combat. Could have been something great if more complex, but as is it's just a better-than-average map in a better-than-average game.

Favorite Halo multiplayer: Halo 3, I guess. Chopper, laser, equipment, missile pod, and Sandtrap.
Duncan Idaho 11;2672474 wrote:
I'm just going to start this off in a more focused way by rating the map I feel the strongest about.

EXILE

Rate 1-10: 6

Preferred game types: Dominion

List likes:

1. Asymmetric Design

2. More-abundant-than-average cover for a Halo map.

3. Useful interior combat spaces (the presence there of in a BTB map.)

List dislikes:

1. The few long sight lines (from sniper, from cliff base)

2. Still not enough cover, complexity in interior spaces, no interactive elements

3. Vehicle selection (too much power)

Personal thoughts on this map:

A step forward from what we were getting from bungie, providing a range of viable strategies in a map that doesn't present any single uber-space, but it still suffers from the usual Halo conventions of putting too much power and too many long sight lines into a game that plays best in protracted mid-ranged combat. Could have been something great if more complex, but as is it's just a better-than-average map in a better-than-average game.

Favorite Halo multiplayer: Halo 3, I guess. Chopper, laser, equipment, missile pod, and Sandtrap.

Thanks! I have done some revision work on my thread, I realized it was way too much work to get everyone to rate each maps so I made it a bit more casual and easy to do, and thanks for your reply!

1. Ragnarok (9/10)
-Plays well for BTB and CTF

2. Adrift (8/10)
-Lesser of the other evils for me, it's decent for 4v4 slayer but plays terrible for CTF.

3. Landfall (8/10)
-Works well with slayer and it's static weapon spawns and it's pretty good for CTF. But barely ever play this maps due to lack of players with DLC.

They feel like they still have the old Halo magic, with balanced static weapon spawns and the map flow isn't overly stagnant.

1. Meltdown (4/10)
-I feel as if 343i lied to me about this map, in the vidoc's prior to release, they said this game was a great warthog map with it's figure '8' style, but this is a terrible warthog map, and the only thing I like this map for is CTF, but this map would be my last choice.

2. Solace (3/10)
- This map is easily broken with Jetpack, the sight-lines are annoying along with the placement of boxes and crates, the map feels very cluttered and is one of my least favorite maps.

3. Complex (3/10)
- This map started with terrible weapon spawns, being random locations and favoring one team or the other, which borks objectives up completely. In addition to starting off as a 4v4 map and now is reserved for larger gametypes such as BTB, this map clearly demonstrates how sprint and jetpack can hurt map design, making a btb map seem like it's good for 4v4. Which in the end gets rejected anyway.

These maps have bad map-flow, AA and sprint hurts a few of them, but overall I just dislike how they're designed and I can't get over the fact that they thought imbalanced weapon spawns was a good idea in this game.

Also, please rate your overall experience in terms of enjoyment with the Halo 4 Multiplayer, and give a short explanation if you would like.

My overall experience in Halo 4 on the 1-10 scale would be close to a 6/10, more like a 5.5/10.

This game was a great improvement from Halo Reach, but it brought too many elements from Call of Duty.

Halo used to be an arena shooter, meaning everything was balanced and had purpose, everyone spawned equally, weapons spawned neutrally or both teams got the same power ups/power weapons. But now people get a lottery personal weapon drop where one guy can get speed boost and two crappy grenades and the enemy could get an incineration cannon. It's not fair and not fun for me.

Lastly, for you, what is the best Halo game you have played and quickly tell me why you felt it's the best?

For me, Halo 3. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10. If it had no lag and the bullets were more accurate it would be a 9.5/10.

Halo 3 demonstrates the definition of balance for a Halo game. Maps were extremely well made and were balanced accordingly, weapons spawned with static times and were neutral and spawns were fairly good.

No one ever got power weapons given to them or had special mods or AA's, everything was picked up off the ground and was fair game to all players.
Abandon - 7/10 - pretty much like Guardian, but instead of catwalks we have caves and corridors. Because of that I prefer Guardian, but this one is still very playable.

Adrift - 8/10 - really nice design. Plays like "purple circles" (Heretic or Zealot), but with more hard-sci-fi theme. Too bad it just appears much too often lately and there's overshield instead of sword. I like original spawn points better.

Complex - 3/10 - It suits BTB quite nicely. However I'm biased because I hated this map in 4v4, where it just sucks. Also it has some frame rate issues on split screen, which makes this map even worse.

Daybreak - 7/10 - very good for CTF, but good for Team Slayer too. 6v6 plays just right, but even with 4v4 fights are intense.

Exile - 9/10 - Instant classic for BTB.

Harvest - 6/10 - I know it's not professional, but I like theme of this map. Layout feels little too simmetrical, what makes CTF boring very fast. For 4v4 maps feels little too big, but thanks to consistant design, it still plays much better than Complex. With 6v6 map is the best of Crimson.

Haven - 9/10 - Instant classic for 4v4.

Landfall - 10/10 - like Turf meets Longshore, but it just plays better. There's something for everyone on this map. I don't remember having a bad match, even when I took serious beating.

Longbow - 7/10 - great for Dominion. Ok for 8v8 Slayer.

Monolith - 7/10 - I guess that's how Forge maps would look like, if Forge actually works in Halo 4. Good map. Not great, but very playable.

Meltdown - 8/10 - One of very few big maps where I can choose cqc loadout and still have a good time. One of my fav in Halo 4.

Outcast - 7/10 - Just like in Meltdown, vehicles don't dominate in here. For that reason I like this map too, however I played it too little.

Perdition - 8/10 - Best of Castle. Great for 6v6 which paradoxically is it's weakness, as there are no pernament playlist which could use it's potential.

Ragnarok - 4/10 - I don't like Valhalla and I hate Ragnarok. It's too open and after few years of constant playing, too boring.

Settler - 5/10 - Only reason I think it's better than Ragnarok, it's because it's new.

Shatter - 2/10 - Broken. Map. Frame rate issues makes it unplayable on split screen. I have no idea how 343i can sell something like that. Other than frame rate issues, map is average.

Skyline - 8/10 - Small arena maps is what Halo 4 needs. It plays much like Halo 3's Assembly, but theme is much more spectacular.

Solace - 5/10 - Average map. Like Halo 3's Narrows, but bigger.

Vortex - 6/10 - Reminds me Boneyard from Reach. However it's small, so it plays much better in 8v8 Team Slayer.

Wreckage - 5/10 - Average big map. Nice theme, but layout feels much like random set of rooms and open spaces without any particular order or idea.

All in all I think Halo 4 maps are much, much better than Reach's. Lately I play a lot of Halo 3 too, and to be honest, I would pick Haven or Adrift or Abandon over The Pit or Narrows or Snowbound any day. When it goes to BTB there is no competition between e.g. Exile and Sandtrap. My only objection is that there are so few default 4v4 maps.

1. Opus: Simple, easy-to-understand design, uncluttered but still sufficient cover, small such that you are never far from the action (yet dynamic spawning still works well), power weapons that are appropriate for the map. (I know you said 343i maps . . . but this is here to demonstrate what I wish more 343i maps were like.)

2. Haven: Ditto on simplicity and cover. Haven also has some geometry that can be used in unexpected (for most people) ways, which greatly adds to the replay value. Aesthetically a very nice map. A bit too big; if it were shrunk everywhere by 10 - 15% it would be nicer. Excellent SWAT map.

3. Adrift: Simple, easy-to-understand design. This one might vie with Haven for second place. The only thing holding it back is when snipers were put on the map. Given the length-to-width of the hallways, snipers are a terrible choice for the map (railguns would be much better). However, I'll only penalize Adrift so much for that, as Certain Affinity is not responsible for the snipers. Perhaps a bit too much clutter in the lower level interior, but not too bad.

Honorable mentions to Complex (the BTB version), Exile, and Ragnarok.

1. Solace: Clutter ugh. Jetpacks ugh (better with the added crates, though, that remove some of the jetpack advantage). Fuel rod cannon WAAAAAY ugh . . . especially because it just ends up back in Red Base with a whole team camping around it. Movement is far too restricted, jetpacks have way to much power, and the fuel rod cannon is just horrible for gameplay. The bases allow too much camping. Just ugh.

2. Abandon: Way too cluttered on the beach and the power position is too powerful. Jetpacks absolutely break this map in so many ways . . . so whenever it's played on Infinity settings, at least half the people use jetpacks (it's not so bad on Pro). Should have railguns or concussion rifles instead of snipers to promote movement, as the fear of jetpacks can make it very campy at times.

3. Vortex: Byzantine design, all kinds of nooks and crannies to get hung up on, no true power position, and the buildings provide too much cover for the Banshee as it circles the map. No consistent spawning due to the map design, as teams are often scattered all over the place.

Dishonorable mention to Meltdown.

My overall experience with H4 MM is quite positive. It is my first Halo (and my first FPS since Doom and Wolfenstein), so I do not have any nostalgia goggles or reference points for previous titles. I've accumulated 17d of playtime in MM.

However, there are some things about H4 I do not like and hope get changed for H5. While I like the AAs / perks as a concept, there are (1) far too many, and, (2) they are far too unequal. Jetpacks and camo disrupt gameplay and should not be options in most of the gametypes. Some "perks" - resupply - shouldn't be perks. Personal ordnance puts too many power weapons on the map. So if they could keep thruster, hologram, hardlight, maybe sentry, and do away with the others for the regular games, I would be happy. If the number of perks were reduced to 3 - 5 tac packs / support upgrades apiece, I would likewise be happy. And if POD were just grenades and ammo, I would be extra-super happy.

And lastly, better maps. Most maps I just "tolerate". A few I actually want to play on. Several I cannot stand. For the "tolerate" ones, most are too big and have too much clutter. While the aesthetics of the Forge maps aren't anywhere close to the CA maps, the cleaner canvas of the Forge ones makes for better gameplay.
Maximus IL, Teusz PL CK. Love you feedback!
My most favorite maps in Halo 4 are:

1) Ragnarok - I enjoy this map for the big team battles with all the vechiles and long range battles with snipers and dmr's. Is was definately one of my favorite maps in halo 3 and I was so exicited when they brought it back. Getting the sniper and camping with it just sniping people left and right to rack up lots of kills for your team is so fun. Plus the topography is great for hiding and doing big air jumps in warthogs.

2) Vertigo - From the minute I played this map if felt really really familiar. The map is similar to abandon in the way you have two towers with grav lifts and caves on the sides. But not so much room behind the tower as on abandon. I had a real blast plying this map at SDCC as I was easily going 15+ for my K/D every match. When playing King of the Hill on this map it was very hectic and tons of fun. Cant wait for the Champions bundle to be released.

3) Haven - Whats gret about haven is that its not to big or not to small. Great for slayer games with as little as 2 or 4 people all the way to maybe 12 poeple total. Its a really nice symetrical small map that has been one of my favorites ever since launch. I feel as the addition of the lifts on each side really gave way for a new style of play for haven that makes it even more fun.

My least favorite maps are:

1) Adrift - Whenever I play Adrift for some reason I just tend to make very bad decisions and do very horrible going - K/D alot on this map. Its not that I dont like the map its just I have alot of my worst games here.

2) Abandon - The same holds true for this map as it does for Adrift. I just tend to do really bad on this map.

3) Meltdown - A few of the things I dont like abour Meltdown is the middle area there are always people there no matter what. I constantly get tagged over and over and die in 4-5 shots when I can never find the other guy. Plus people sneak up constantly. I roll promethean vision alot so I can see them commming almost all the time but if I try to engage I often lose of of thoses battles.

Rate 8-10

1. Exile

2. Haven

3. Adrift

Exile is a great map full of so much action that it's hard not to like. The multiple bases. vehicels, running for the splazer, I love it. Haven is just Haven. A small, fun arena map. It's hard to not vote for it.
Adrift is Perfect for SWAT and CTF and those are my favorite gametypes

1. Solace

2. Solace

3. Solace

I really don't like it. No other maps Do I have an issue with other than this one. No one plays in the lower level, there's a lot of places to randomly get stuck on or fall off of, the Snipers just use active camo and are apparently the best snipers in the world and never miss a shot and it's very hard to play a good Flood game there. Maybe it's more of the players that ruin it for me but I just do not like this map.

Rate 8-10. I like it a lot and I usually have a ton of fun. I just wish there were more ranks after 130. I feel like there's nothing worth going for after I complete all my commendations... And it has tooo much of a call of duty feel, which is really not good at all.

Halo 3 for campaign. it's jsut soooooo fun! I've replayed it like 18 times. It's addicting. For multiplayer though, Reach for sure. Addicting custom games, fun BTB and Invasion, and my favorite map of all time, Spire. The Armor was great and I loved the ranking and Credits system. The vehicles were fun and Forge was Phenomanal!!!!!

Lastly, out of all the Halo games, which game had the overall best multiplayer maps and why?

Reach. Very balanced and addictive gameplay!

1. Skyline (8/10) Pretty much at a tie with Longbow, this map is quite fun to play with regulated sightlines (though the Shotguns should respawn)

2. Longbow - Best on Dominion, Slayer, CTF (8/10) This map is a good combination of vehicular, close quarters, and long range combat. Quite fun to play.

3. Haven (7/10) This map's easy to understand, symmetrical, and simple design makes it easy to pick up and play.

1. Wreckage (3/10) The annoying sightlines and imbalanced bases in CTF games make this map annoying to play. Furthermore, certain areas of the map are never even ventured into in certain gametypes.

2. Monolith (4/10) This map has very open sightlines making the center area a slaughter and the rest of the map a sniping area.

3. Meltdown (4/10) The sightlines on this map and high chance of flaming vehicular death really make this map annoying to play on any non-slayer gametype- and still hard to play then.

My biggest problem with the Halo 4 map suite is that there isn't enough variation- for example, none of the maps have the verticality of Sword Base (Reach).

In addition, Vehicles are too easy to take down.

I would probably re-arrange these and tweak the ratings if I had more time to compare.
BTB maps:

High marks to Complex, Settler and Ragnarok. I like asymmetrical maps which are well lit, have some cover (for me) but not much in the middle making dmr slaughters fun and easy. I prefer maps that are not over-run with vehicles and on this point Complex and Settler excel.

Middling marks to Exile, Meltdown and Longbow. Longbow is too big, and since the update has too many vehicles. Meltdown is just a little too tight to use a precision weapon, but every once in a while I like a game of ARs. Exile is both too big and too small at the same time. I've walked it - it isn't huge, and yet I seem to pass half of every match without making contact with the enemy. And also too many vehicles.

Wreckage, Shatter and Vortex. I still haven't figured out where the party is on these maps. With W & S it's because I haven't played them enough. Vortex is just too huge with way too many vehicles. It's Heavies without being called Heavies. I hate it.
Favourite 4v4 Maps:
1. Haven- symmetrical, layered, arena-style map. Map flows nicely, has enough cover, but isn't too open/cluttered
2. Landfall- well designed assymetrical map. Most of the map flows and is used in a game, but has a few problems with choke-points.
3. Skyline- good symmetrical map, but feels too cluttered/small with sprint and instant respawn
4. Abandon- okay assymetrical map. Has too much verticality, and ring 3 is too well enclosed from the outside.
5. Harvest- I really enjoy this map, though it is too large for 4v4, and arguably too small for BTB too. I guess I enjoy how the map is kind of rectangular, with the linear routes through the middle and the open vehicle routes around the side meaning you have to try and both push and flank as a team, unlike most maps which are kind of circular.

Favourite BTB Maps:
1. Daybreak- not too open, good combination of infantry and vehicle play, lots of options in terms of flanking routes. Great BTB map.
2. Longbow- good combination of of infantry and vehicle play, not too many routes to flank from, but not too little, requires you to push as a team to control power positions.
3. Wreckage- the only map in Halo 4 in my opinion which kind of works well with cross-mapping. Good combination of very long, long, and medium range combat areas.
4. Shatter- Okay BTB map. Kind of strange design, but not bad. Doesn't suffer too much from cross-map stand offs.
5. -

Least Favourite 4v4 Maps:
1. Complex- not actually in 4v4 any more, but I still hate it. Suffers hugely from cross-map stand offs, and huge open areas which are vulnerable from all over the map and can be spawned in.
2. Solace- Really odd map. Too open, suffers from some cross-mapping, and kind of cluttered.
3. Adrift- too many choke points, but has been improved significantly by the current on-map weapon/power up selection.
4.-
5.-

Least Favourite BTB maps:
1. Ragnarok- too open, stagnant map-flow, the worst-map in terms of cross-mapping. Is impossible to move through the map on foot without being shot from across the map.
2. Vortex- kind of like Ragnarok in terms of openness/cross-mapping, and also suffers from a ridiculous vehicle selection. Isn't as bad as Ragnarok though, because it isn't almost flat.
3. Meltdown- too large, too many flanking routes. Cannot predict where enemy players are going to be. Absolutely awful on Team Snipers.
4.-
5.-

I'll admit I haven't played the other Halo games other than Reach as much as this game, so I'm hardly any kind of Halo veteran, but I'd say Halo 4 has been my least favourite Halo game. This is mostly because of its mechanics (high aim-assist/bullet magnetism, loadouts, ordnance), and poor map selection (the best original maps coming from this game in my opinion are Harvest, Skyline, Daybreak, Longbow and Wreckage, all but one of which are DLC maps, and only one (Skyline) being suited for competitive 4v4 play.

In my opinion, the best Halo game was Halo 2, mostly because its mechanics were good and encouraged skill (though I did not like the button glitches), and its maps were fantastic. Halo 3 comes second, with its mechanics being overall better than Halo 2 in my opinion, but its maps not as good.
Alright so here's my list of maps and prefferred games.

1. Haven - Haven is quite easily the most balanced and interesting dev map in Halo 4. It's got quite an assortment of tac jumps, trick jumps, thruster tricks and various other thinsgs. It's also a continuation (to some extent) of Midship from Halo 2. Bungie described Zealot as Halo: Reach's midship, and I'd describe Haven as the Halo 4 Zealot (all of which are very fun maps).

The only major problem with this map was the original initial spawns. Still trying to figure out why 343i placed asymetric spawns on a symetrical map.

9/10, lack of power positions does have an effect on gameplay, but we have sprint to thank for that.

2. Solace - I know a lot of people tend not to like this map (and I can understand why) but I have to say I generally enjoy myself here. It's one of the few maps I think plays good CTF in Halo 4, and it's been fairly well fixed as time goes along.

Bases still need a ton of work, and I question 343i's base design theories (considering the bases are either overpowered or non-existent) but for the most part this map tends to be enjoyable. This is one of two maps in the game that I think jumping actually play a significant roll in the turn of events.... Now if only jetpack didn't squander that potential.

7/10 - Fairly decent, bases need work and I wish there were more ways to get to the bottom area, as it goes very underused in a normal game (which doesn't make sense, as it should be the most common flag route for CTF).

3. ... I've honestly got no other dev maps I truly enjoy in Halo 4. Perhaps Perdition, but I haven't played near enough on that map to get a very good feeling for it.

1. Abandon - ... Wow. If there was ever an unbalanced map, it was this one. I'm still trying to figure out why they thought spawning one team on gold vs one team on beach was a good idea. Not only can gold get to the most powerful position on the map faster, but they have an incredibly easy job of grenading the main route from the beach side.

Overall I've never had a match here that I found very enjoyable. Too unbalanced and too chaotic, always seems to end in a spawnkill.

EDIT: Actually, I will note that the map has some decent jumps... not a lot, but they're there. Bumped the score up to 4 just for that.

4/10. Might be good for 1-flag style gameplay... if that were possible in Halo 4.

2. Adrift - I can't figure out why people like this map. Long, narrow, campable, grenadble hallways joining up with an open and near suicidal center that gets very little action during a normal game. The only Halo map in existence to end in a 0-0 tie during a competitive tournament, due to the bases being designed to be the strongest positions on map.

Do not like this map at all.

3/10 - It can be somewhat better with AGL settings.

3. Complex - I guess you could say it's too complex for me... if that was the case. No, the problem with this map isn't how incredibly strange it is, but instead how unbalanced it is. Slayer on this map? Camp the blue room. SWAT/Snipers on this map? Camp the Roof. Oddball on this map? Camp the blue room. CTF on this map? God forbid you spawn on the open side. Have fun getting spawnkilled the entire game while you're enemies go 40-2.

1/10 Probably the least enjoyable dev map I've played... in any game... ever.

Overall Halo 4 Multiplayer Experience: I'll put this one in a spoiler, it's a bti of a read.

Sorry for the rant, I'm still aggrivated about that one.

Quote:

Hard to decide to be honest. Halo CE was decent but lacked content, Halo 2 was broken (although still competitive, and a lot more fun) and Halo 3 seems to simultaniously be the least and yet most flawed of the original trilogy.

I'll say from a campaign perspective I preferred Halo 2. There was simply more to do in that game than in any other Halo game since, whether it was exploration or glitches, superbounces or playing splitscreen with friends. Halo 3 pulled forward by introducing forge and theatre, as well as having a very aesthetically beautiful art style that I still think is the best of any of the game.

Halo 3 also didn't shun jumping or alternative styles of play. You could use a vehicle without having to worry too much about everyone and their cat having anti-vehicle weapons, you could jump and hide without having to worry about promethean vision or ten second barriers.

Heck, look at Epitaph, Guardian, Heretic, The Pit or Rats Nest, pretty much any Halo 3 4v4 map. All of them supported and encouraged jumping of some kind, and it always played a huge part in the game.

In Halo 4 I doubt even 1/10th the players know any of the jumps on Haven, and if they do, they never use them.

Best maps: Halo 2. Hands down, Halo 2 had the best maps in the franchise. Midship, Lockout, Turf, Terminal, Elongated, Coagulation, Headlong, Beaver Creek, Wetworks, Wizard, Colossus, Ascension etc. etc. etc. The list goes on and I don't think there was a single map in Halo 2 that I'd label genuinly bad.

Wish I could say the same for Halo 4.
Dare to believe.
Love your feedback SilentA98!

One thing for myself that I would like to add what's really bogged down my play experience has been dev support.

Yes, the game has great dev support, but what good is it when you release something, then do something else for a month and then get back to fixing what people hate.

Look at Legendary Slayer. You launched it, within 2 days it became apparent the the AR's got terrible boring extremely fast, and that the single gametype was a little bland.

Legendary Slayer should have been optimized and updated within a week of launch. Not a freaking month later when the playlist went from 3k+ players to >400 players.
- Ratings on a 1-5 scale -

Halo 4

Total Maps: 25 Xbox360
***** = 3
**** = 7
*** = 11
** = 2
* = 2
Avg. = 3.3 Stars

Haven *****
Outcast *****
Ravine *****
Daybreak ****
Pitfall ****
Ragnarok ****
Meltdown ****
Longbow ****
Skyline ****
Perdition ****
Forge Island ***
Impact ***
Vertigo ***
Complex ***
Harvest ***
Adrift ***
Vortex ***
Exile ***
Landfall ***
Wreckage ***
Abandon ***
Monolith **
Solace **
Shatter *
Erosion *
So far, it looks like Haven is the only map with consistent ratings. Love/hate so far for Solace, Meltdown, Vortex, BTB Complex (not sure many liked it 4v4), and Adrift.

@ Silent:

I know what you mean about Adrift, but at lower level Slayer play (me), the players are not sophisticated enough in their play to either take advantage of or even realize how powerful the bases actually are. CTF is different - I don't like CTF on Adrift because I'm a random and when my team of randoms is matched against a full team with any clue at all, it's a slaughter even at lower level play. Anyway, most Slayer games involve a lot of CQC in the hallways, lower level mid, and sniper spawn locations, with some medium-to-CQC range stuff on the bases. Because of this, it's a very fun map (for me). With that being said, it could be just as fun if the bases were made less powerful, some of the segmentation removed, and top mid was actually useful for something other than an overshield spawn and a quick route from base-to-base.

Solace . . . ugh. Perhaps I just haven't figured out how to use the geometry in a fun and interesting way. I really hate that map, and the fuel rod made it worse. Regardless of which team grabs it, the whole game ends up being played at Red Base until its ammo is exhausted. And playing in those tunnels for minutes on end is not fun. It may play very differently at higher levels, though.

I usually agree with your comments on everything. I thought it was interesting that we had nearly opposite opinions here.

In more typical fashion, we both agreed that Haven is a very solid map and that Abandon is . . . well . . . not.
@Maximus IL, I absolutely hate CTF Adrift as well. I play in full teams and get matched against full teams, and that map is so freaking easy to defend your bases that it's the slowest gameplay ever once a team decides to camp it out after they get the lead.

No fun at all.
Maximus IL;2678046 wrote:
So far, it looks like Haven is the only map with consistent ratings. Love/hate so far for Solace, Meltdown, Vortex, BTB Complex (not sure many liked it 4v4), and Adrift.

@ Silent:

I know what you mean about Adrift, but at lower level Slayer play (me), the players are not sophisticated enough in their play to either take advantage of or even realize how powerful the bases actually are. CTF is different - I don't like CTF on Adrift because I'm a random and when my team of randoms is matched against a full team with any clue at all, it's a slaughter even at lower level play. Anyway, most Slayer games involve a lot of CQC in the hallways, lower level mid, and sniper spawn locations, with some medium-to-CQC range stuff on the bases. Because of this, it's a very fun map (for me). With that being said, it could be just as fun if the bases were made less powerful, some of the segmentation removed, and top mid was actually useful for something other than an overshield spawn and a quick route from base-to-base.

Well, in my opinion a map should be designed for competitive play. One can play a fun game on a competitive map (see pretty much any Halo 2-3 map for example) but it's much harder to play a (balanced) competitive game on a non-competitive map. I do get where you're coming from though.

It's certainly a versatile map, just not very well designed in my opinion. They did a great job on the center, but the supporting structures (hallways) really drag the map down for me.

The map is an interesting idea, I just didn't think it was executed properly. It's similar to epitaph in that way, although not half as interesting for jumping :P

Maximus[/quote wrote:
Solace . . . ugh. Perhaps I just haven't figured out how to use the geometry in a fun and interesting way. I really hate that map, and the fuel rod made it worse. Regardless of which team grabs it, the whole game ends up being played at Red Base until its ammo is exhausted. And playing in those tunnels for minutes on end is not fun. It may play very differently at higher levels, though.

I usually agree with your comments on everything. I thought it was interesting that we had nearly opposite opinions here.

Eh, Solace wasn't the greatest design ever. Too many long lines of sight, not enough cover. It was fairly well segmented, but like you said the bases were very poorly designed by all accounts. My take on Solace is similar to your take on Adrift I think. I just find the map fun for some reason even though it's not overly well designed.

I think I just rather enjoy thruster launching into the bases or using the lesser-known jumps, as I can usually take the campers off guard and get a pretty simple double/triple if they're all hiding in there.

Map opinions tend to be fickle :P. In all likely-hood, we have a similar balance/gameplay mindset but play differently. Solace tends to be more suited to my jumping playstyle, and it's quite likely Adrift is more suited to whichever playstyle you use. How much you enjoy the map is generally based on how well your favourite playstyle does on it.
Dare to believe.
@ Silent: I agree completely. I imagine whether players "like" a map or not has a lot to do with whether the map supports how they want to play. I love how Adrift plays in Slayer (at least at my level) - though I do feel that it is just awful for CTF (also in agreement with Sir Boobington).

I probably don't find Solace interesting because I am not great at tactical jumping, so I am not able to get enjoyment out of that aspect of the geometry. Instead, I am constantly reminded of clutter and poor base design every time I have to play on it.
I have to include impressions of the map with the relevant gametypes because I can't separate the two. I think this game, more than any, has maps that depend on the gametype to play well. For example: Complex in 4v4 Infinity Slayer is dreadfull, but 8v8 CTF is a blast, and is available in both settings.

Top 3:
1) Daybreak (BTB CTF): risky putting a map I've only played sparsely, but I love this map. Hearkens back to Standoff for me, fun vehicle gameplay where a Warthog (or Banshee, in Daybreak's case) can be fun to use and change a game, and infantry play is viable with fun bases and easy to take routes.

2) Exile (Dominion): I really enjoy this map in Dominion, especially Lockdown. The center base is often a focus of combat, and I love me some CQB with large numbers of players.

3) Haven (all 4v4 variants): Easily my favorite 4v4 map (though Skyline and Adrift make good pushes), and fun/fast paced for Slayer, Oddball, and KOTH.

Bottom 3 (worst to....less worse?)
1) Abandon: Just a big old bag of crap that I just find no redeeming qualities in. The aesthetic is terrible, there are no fun playspaces, it attempts to make CQB combat with all these strange breaks in the environment but provides little actual strategic uses. One of my least favorite Halo maps ever.

2) Shatter: Just a bunch of weird playspaces with nowhere I really like going. The Mantis can be fun to use here, but you really have to risk your safety to get any sort of groove in killing guys.

3) Harvest: Maybe this got punished in my mind by being billed and pushed as a 4v4 map, but it's just too spread out with no real opportunities to actually get anything done in the vehicles.
12Next >2 Pages