Notification

Icon
Error

123Next >»128 Pages
VIDEO LINK:

http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=halo-reborn-gdc-postmortem-20130329

It starts at around 45:00.

CLIFFS:

"Historically, we've had these twod audiences in Halo.... Campaign and Multiplayer..... We wanted to bind them"

"We wanted to create an experience where Campaign players could do well in Multiplayer, and introduce Multiplayer players into Campaign".

"We wanted to help new players find success, help them get power weapons in ordnance that they might never have gotten a hold of before"

"We want to make Halo more accessible and easier to succeed at"

"Halo always had a steep learning curve that threw players off, we wanted to change that"

"We listened to all the community feedback, and realised that players didn't want an even playing field and put a progression system in, which is what they wanted" - U WOT M8?(p)

I have just finished watching the panel at GDC.

It has been a reality check. A reality check that if you played CE - Halo 3, there is no more Halo like that any more.

Not only is it an insult to state that the "Community" wanted a progression system, but it is false. How did you manage to survey the entire community and ask them what they wanted?

You are in a total state of self denial, 343.

You should have seen the Twitch.tv chat! Oh my god they were going absolutely mental at how many utter lies you were spouting, not to mention all the things you said that re-affirmed to a lot of people that Halo's direction is this:

http://i.imgur.com/h2MTcl9.png (Actual picture slide that was displayed at the event)

"We made Infinity Slayer so campaign kids could use power weapons in Multiplayer." - This is not how a multiplayer should be made.

"Steep learning curve that threw a lot of players off" - Are you serious! Halo has always been a massive game because it takes skill, it's not like any other generic FPS like Battlefield or COD!.

It's almost as embarrassing that the "X"'s are broken. How do you screw this up? "They will be displayed throughout the duration of your death" - Kevin Franklin.

Now... Was this a lie? Or did you not even PLAYTEST YOUR OWN -Yoinking!- GAME?

How do you screw this up? What was wrong with the old one? It seems like you have an EGO problem, you refuse to leave anything in the game that Bungie created.

You INSIST on redesigning EVERYTHING... Even if it's not broken.

The fact that it was called "A Postmortem" is quite right, expect they can't seem to see what killed Halo.

What's funny is that no one at 343 actually reads these forums. Feedback is useless.

40k Population.

And yes, I am seriously mad. You put "Halo" on the box. I bought the game thinking it would have Halo Multiplayer (Thank you, Mr Audley) This is NOT Halo multiplayer.
427 thanks for this post
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Correction: "thinking it had Halo Multiplayer."

At its core, there is still a lot of what made the original Halo a success in this title. Halo CE was popular because of its campaign. Its multiplayer is a thing of nostalgia and was sort of tacked on. Halo 2 featured a more substantial push in the direction of multiplayer-focused design.

Halo 4 returned to the campaign-focused design, and was successful on that front.

However, to explain that there were features designed specifically so "less skilled players" can "get to use power weapons" is a -Yoinking!- joke for a multiplayer experience.

It essentially says, "We want everyone to feel like winners." That isn't head-to-head multiplayer, and that isn't competitive (which makes it an even bigger insult when the speaker went on to say that the competitive community was very dear to them with their goals/design intentions at the launch of this game. It's an outright lie.

If you wanted less skillful players to be able to experience the entirety of the sandbox, a better method to enable this would've been...to...you know, make some sort of matchmaking system that, as players played the game more would differentiate them by their skill level, and let those that weren't quite as good get matched against others that weren't quite as good...while the cream of the crop rose to the top.

...instead of just randomly declaring someone deserves Binary Rifle because they got a few kills.
Originally Posted by: RG Vengeful Go to Quoted Post
VIDEO LINK:

http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=halo-reborn-gdc-postmortem-20130329

I have just finished watching the panel at GDC. All I can say quite frankly is "Are you serious?"

Not only is it an insult to state that the "Community" wanted a progression system, but it is false. How did you manage to survey the entire community and ask them what they wanted?

You should have seen the Twitch.tv chat! Oh my god they were going absolutely mental at how many utter lies you were spouting, not to mention all the things you said that re-affirmed to a lot of people that Halo's direction is this:

http://i.imgur.com/h2MTcl9.png (Actual picture slide that was displayed at the event)

"We made Infinity Slayer so campaign kids could use power weapons in Multiplayer." - This is not how a multiplayer should be made.

"Steep learning curve that threw a lot of players off" - Are you serious! Halo has always been a massive game because it takes skill, it's not like any other generic FPS like Battlefield or COD!.

It's almost as embarrassing that the "X"'s are broken. How do you screw this up? "They will be displayed throughout the duration of your death" - Kevin Franklin. Now... Was this a lie? Or did you not even PLAYTEST YOUR OWN -Yoinking!- GAME?

How do you screw this up? What was wrong with the old one? It seems like you have an EGO problem, you refuse to leave anything in the game that Bungie created. You INSIST on redesigning EVERYTHING... Even if it's not broken.

The fact that it was called "A Postmortem" is quite right, expect they can't seem to see what killed Halo.

40k Population.

I'M DISGUSTED!

And yes, I am seriously mad. You put "Halo" on the box. I bought the game thinking it was Halo. This is NOT Halo.

Wow. OK. Now that's pissed me off a bit...

I would love to hear their explanation as to why previous games were more popular than Halo 4, if people were thrown off by the "steep learning curve." What a joke.
Ummmm do they not know what competitive multiplayer means? It is not my little pony where you are tying too make everyone feel special and like winners. Some of the things said really explains why they went in the direction they did. Which in turn just reaffirmed my deep hatred to make a game appeal to the broadest audience possible.

Way to go 343 way to go. I did not think my opinion could get any lower then it already was but your GDC panel proved me wrong yet again thanks!
Man...this is painful to watch.
Do you know what's even sadder?

I can guarantee that they won't once get up on a stage and admit all these problems, nor would they talk about them at a panel.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.

I didn't believe what you were saying OP, then I watched that video.

This makes me want to go punch kittens.
i cant wait to see how the waypoint 343 drones try to formulate an attack on this
Originally Posted by: HumbleHarp75 Go to Quoted Post

I have played Battlefield 3 for over 650 hours. I can tell you that game is not difficult. Battlefield 3 is a walk in the park compared to Bad Company 2 or Battlefield 2.

Heat seeking weapons (Javelin, Stinger, etc) completely ruins the vehicular gameplay, and the weapons all feel too similar. BF3 at launch was an awesome game, but when you realize how little skill it takes in comparison to Bad Company 2 it is a shame.
Originally Posted by: ifor hardy Go to Quoted Post
VIDEO LINK:

I have just finished watching the panel at GDC. All I can say quite frankly is "Are you serious?"

It's almost as embarrassing that the "X"'s are broken. How do you screw this up? "They will be displayed throughout the duration of your death" - Kevin Franklin. Now... Was this a lie? Or did you not even PLAYTEST YOUR OWN -Yoinking!- GAME?

How do you screw this up? What was wrong with the old one? It seems like you have an EGO problem, you refuse to leave anything in the game that Bungie created. You INSIST on redesigning EVERYTHING... Even if it's not broken.

40k Population.

I'M DISGUSTED!

And yes, I am seriously mad. You put "Halo" on the box. I bought the game thinking it was Halo. This is NOT Halo.

Wow. OK. Now that's pissed me off a bit...

I would love to hear their explanation as to why previous games were more popular than Halo 4, if people were thrown off by the "steep learning curve." What a joke.

I rather stay ignorant than watch the panel to hear this exact quote (or any other thing 343 says that it obviously stupid). So I closed the window before I blew a fuse lol. Skill gap is barely non existent in this game. They are destroying what we love, simply because noobs aren't good enough.
"Kill me or release me, parasite. But do not waste my time with talk!"
Originally Posted by: Bean Head200 Go to Quoted Post

I have played Battlefield 3 for over 650 hours. I can tell you that game is not difficult. Battlefield 3 is a walk in the park compared to Bad Company 2 or Battlefield 2.

Heat seeking weapons (Javelin, Stinger, etc) completely ruins the vehicular gameplay, and the weapons all feel too similar. BF3 at launch was an awesome game, but when you realize how little skill it takes in comparison to Bad Company 2 it is a shame.

It's because games are being diluted so that even the most unskilled players can "Feel like winners".
Quote:
"Steep learning curve that threw a lot of players off"

What an absolute joke.

What an absolute -Yoinking!- joke. I'm sorry but this is ridiculous.

I've got no problem with people liking Infinity Slayer, but goddamnit that is the one of the most annoying thigns I have ever read.

You get better faster if things are difficult. Combine that with ranks and you'll want to get better. That is the entire point.
Dare to believe.
Originally Posted by: Bean Head200 Go to Quoted Post

Mhmm the amount of fire and forget weapons in bf3 is quite funny. BC2 remains my favorite entry in the series. But hey the game is still tougher then cod or halo 4 so that is something it has going for it.

Hmmm I really want to go play bc2 now. Love how that game still has a population so I can find a game.

You know I thought that picture was a joke op. Just got to that part in the GDC VOD and I just closed the window.... It is not a joke and its sad that was what they focused multiplayer around.
It's because games are being diluted so that even the most unskilled players can "Feel like winners".

Yeah, pretty much.
The Tracer Dart in Bad Company 2 actually required skill to use, then you would be able to lock on. In Battlefield 3, you can lock on with a personal AA rocket.

The same thing has unfortunately happened to Halo, the game has been made drastically easier for the unskilled.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.

Seen it, got pissed, and now I'm eating some pizza.

Wow. Even after this travesty, we still know that 343 listens to the community feedback, and I believe, that they're somewhat fearful of our reckoning. They're also taking into account all the complaint threads, so they'll definitely improve in the next game, as well as Halo 4.

BRB, gonna get a new laptop after I finish watching this again, I might just punch out my screen.

EDIT: Oh, I recognize you, OP, it seems as if you were going to go to the conference and headbutt the guy into submission when you were posting in the Twitch chat.
Originally Posted by: happybuzzsaw Go to Quoted Post

Wow. Even after this travesty, we still know that 343 listens to the community feedback, and I believe, that they're somewhat fearful of our reckoning. They're also taking into account all the complaint threads, so they'll definitely improve in the next game, as well as Halo 4.

I find it hard to believe that they're listening as much as they should. If they were, they sure as hell wouldn't tell anyone from their company to go out in public and say that speech.

Maybe everyone on these forums should go back to complaining to 343i employees' email accounts, or going there in person to talk. I was starting to be hopeful after Forge Island, but this makes my blood boil!
Originally Posted by: Assassin 11D7 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: happybuzzsaw Go to Quoted Post

I find it hard to believe that they're listening as much as they should. If they were, they sure as hell wouldn't tell anyone from their company to go out in public and say that speech.

Maybe everyone on these forums should go back to complaining to 343i employees' email accounts, or going there in person to talk. I was starting to be hopeful after Forge Island, but this makes my blood boil!
-cue me being cynical- Maybe forge island was released early cause the knew the GDC panel would piss people off. Preemptive damage control possibly?

Still cant get over that picture and apparently the community wanting a progression system.
123Next >»128 Pages