Notification

Icon
Error

123Next >»32 Pages
Just want everyone to know that major spoilers lie ahead so tread carefully. You have been warned.

Continuation of OP will be located on Page 2!!

For the news guys, click on the "Spoiler" button in order to reveal the post!

I agree with your theory 100%.
I came to the same conclusion as well not as in depth of course, there is not way 343 would kill off cortana permanently.

Well the 3rd episode of Spartan Ops is titled "Catherine"....hmmmm
You sir, deserve a cookie. I've tried to explain this to people but I was never as good as it as you wrote here. Now I have a place to direct them to.

Agree 100%
I only read "The Composer" section but you raised some good points that I never even thought of. I hope you are right!
The campaign has a lot of "symbols and images." It requires thought, but yeah.
Official Waypoint Squeaker!
Principles and ethics
E♥A A+S
Also, you can find one of Halsey`s audio logs at the beginning of the second level that mentions something about an AI (who she only refers to as "Her") who's "unique origins" may have given her the ability to live beyond the average 7-year lifespan.

It was hard to tell exactly what was being said, as the music was louder than the audio log, but what I did catch suggested that Cortana had the ability to overcome rampancy. It doesn't make sense for 343 to throw that in if they're just going to kill her off without addressing it later.
cortana is dead, i really cant see how she or didact survived since they were both composed.
Hase0Xth;1718239 wrote:
cortana is dead, i really cant see how she or didact survived since they were both composed.

Neither of them were composed.
AKG32;1718206 wrote:
Also, you can find one of Halsey`s audio logs at the beginning of the second level that mentions something about an AI (who she only refers to as "Her") who's "unique origins" may have given her the ability to live beyond the average 7-year lifespan.

It was hard to tell exactly what was being said, as the music was louder than the audio log, but what I did catch suggested that Cortana had the ability to overcome rampancy. It doesn't make sense for 343 to throw that in if they're just going to kill her off without addressing it later.

Wow, seriously? This is a great find! Might add this to original post tomorrow if that's okay with you! I'll have to go find it for myself though. Credit will be given.
JESUSAURU5 REX;1718265 wrote:
AKG32;1718206 wrote:

Wow, seriously? This is a great find! Might add this to original post tomorrow if that's okay with you! I'll have to go find it for myself though. Credit will be given.

Awesome!

It's right at the beginning of the level after you crash on Requiem. If you look around a bit, you should find an Elite that takes a few steps before dying (it shows up on your motion tracker). Look around the part of the ship he's in, and you should see a blue computer screen.
Oh and I was playing on Legendary when I found it, not sure if that matters though.

Edit: Found it on Youtube
Zetsubou Loki;1718129 wrote:
Well the 3rd episode of Spartan Ops is titled "Catherine"....hmmmm

how did you find that?
My theory is what if Cortana isn't even in rampancy? Like the poster above me I heard that audio log and I am 99% positive she is speaking of Cortana as "her" and saying she can go beyond rampancy.

I think because Cortana isn't just a normal AI and she is more human than any other one ever was I believe maybe her rampancy is human emotion? If you go back and listen to the stuff she says when she is going "rampant" the majority of it has to do with being alone or being betrayed.

I really do hope that Cortana is atleast mentioned in Spartan OPS and they give us hints of her still being alive. Besides the death of Cortana the end of Halo 4 is fairly brief and short and of little value. We hear Didact speak but at this point nobody really cares, we all want to hear more about Cortana or a small snippet of our favorite sidekick somewhere alive.

I don't know what will happen with The Composer as it looked destroyed, but I do hope Cortana is back.

If Cortana does not make an appearance or is not mentioned in Halo 5 I will not buy the games simply because the franchise is ruined for me. Sgt Johnson died a fitting death and we got alot of closure out of it. Cortana's "welcome home John" is the worst goodbye line ever. But that is why I believe she is alive.

If she had said "Thank you John for ~" or "I love you John ~" it would have brought closure and we all would be in 100% mourning mode. It's been almost a week and I still consider this the saddest ending (Assassins creed revelations made me shed man tears) to a video game I have ever seen, and this also ranks among the saddest movie endings I've ever seen. If 343 is smart they will give the people what they deserve, a happy ending for Chief. And as long as there is some mention of Cortana between now and Halo 5 I will completely revoke what I've said about the campaign and call it brilliant instead.
Push Ton Key;1718351 wrote:
My theory is what if Cortana isn't even in rampancy? Like the poster above me I heard that audio log and I am 99% positive she is speaking of Cortana as "her" and saying she can go beyond rampancy.

I think because Cortana isn't just a normal AI and she is more human than any other one ever was I believe maybe her rampancy is human emotion? If you go back and listen to the stuff she says when she is going "rampant" the majority of it has to do with being alone or being betrayed.

I really do hope that Cortana is atleast mentioned in Spartan OPS and they give us hints of her still being alive. Besides the death of Cortana the end of Halo 4 is fairly brief and short and of little value. We hear Didact speak but at this point nobody really cares, we all want to hear more about Cortana or a small snippet of our favorite sidekick somewhere alive.

I don't know what will happen with The Composer as it looked destroyed, but I do hope Cortana is back.

If Cortana does not make an appearance or is not mentioned in Halo 5 I will not buy the games simply because the franchise is ruined for me. Sgt Johnson died a fitting death and we got alot of closure out of it. Cortana's "welcome home John" is the worst goodbye line ever. But that is why I believe she is alive.

If she had said "Thank you John for ~" or "I love you John ~" it would have brought closure and we all would be in 100% mourning mode. It's been almost a week and I still consider this the saddest ending (Assassins creed revelations made me shed man tears) to a video game I have ever seen, and this also ranks among the saddest movie endings I've ever seen. If 343 is smart they will give the people what they deserve, a happy ending for Chief. And as long as there is some mention of Cortana between now and Halo 5 I will completely revoke what I've said about the campaign and call it brilliant instead.

Even if they tried to bring closure to Cortana's "death" I still wouldn't be in the mourning mode. Her and Chief are the most important characters in the game. You can't have chief without cortana and you can't have cortana without chief in my eyes.

Johnsons death had closure because he wasn't as big a character as chief or cortana.

I agree with you, this is probably the most sad game I have every played. I almost shed a man tear as well. It's good to finally see the human side of chief.

I'm almost certain Cortana will return to Chief in some way. :)
If Cortana is still alive, they most likely won't reveal it in Spartan Ops, in fact, they probably won't reveal it until the next game. But seriously, there are some really good points here, keep it up guys!
Spartan 0405;1718100 wrote:
I agree with your theory 100%.

Push Ton Key;1718351 wrote:

Very, very true. In fact, if 343 decided to leave Cortana as she is in Halo 4 and never continue her story despite the fans cries, they would be walking into a situation like Mass Effect 3.

Unfortunately, I am finding it so hard to mourn because all of these hints are making it so obvious that she is alive. Like that post above that mentioned Dr. Halsey's recordings about Cortana surviving rampancy? That's not coincidence. That's foreshadowing.
I hope you are right OP... The story needs Cortana, Chief needs Cortana, WE need Cortana.

You brought up many good points... I need to see her again, i need to hear that voice again.

I just want spartan ops to give us SOMETHING.

We need you Cortana.
Definitely agree with you on this. The whole storyline through the campaign outside of the mission objectives was this growing sort of desperation to "fix" Cortana. You catch the subtle hints as to where 343 was going with this in the cutscenes where John and Cortana try to speculate about her rampancy. How she is the only AI made on the basis of human tissue or some such. You could also see a lot of emotion in her dialogue and constant regret for moments of rampancy "emotion" that cause her to screw up. It's a odd but cool sort of romance between the two and I seriously doubt that sort of undercurrent would just be left to fizzle out in the later releases.
123Next >»32 Pages