Notification

Icon
Error

Hey guys,

For those of you that have spent any amount of time on the forums you will have noticed that there is a lot of discussion on whether or not the DMR overpowered. A lot of statistics have been thrown around regarding time to kill and effective range. However, I have not actually seen any hard evidence regarding actual weapon usage apart from the fact that a lot of people use the DMR. I have seen numbers as high as 90%. Most of the numbers I have seen appear to have been pulled out of thin air. So I decided to do some research of my own.

I did this by going into matchmaking and playing three games in every single playlist. After each game I accessed each players service record and took note of their favourite weapon, how many kills they had, how many deaths they had, how many assists they had and the amount of games that they had played. I excluded any players with less than 100 games played from the results. I then put all of the data into a spreadsheet and did some calculations. I had a total sample size of 75 players. Below are some of the more interesting results.

UPDATE:
Sample size has been increased to 186, results have remained fairly consistent! (minus a few minor things)

Updated results:
  • 64.5% of players preferred the DMR
  • 22.5% preferred the BR
  • 7% prefer the AR
  • Still no love for the Storm Rifle or Plasma Pistol
  • 1 player preferred the Boltshot <-- SCARY
  • 1 player preferred the Magnum
  • On average players who preferred the DMR had a better K/D
  • On average players who preferred the automatics were negative
  • On average AR users earned more assists per game and had more assists overall*
  • On average DMR players had played more games*
  • On average DMR users earned more kills per game and had more kills overall*
  • DMR users had a combined total kill count of 669,468

*There were weapons with greater results but the results could have been

Old results:

Link to spreadsheet with results

Updated YouTube video explaining the exact same thing

While these are certainly some interesting results, the sample size is still relatively small and it is entirely possible I did get a bad sample. Nonetheless, I hope it helps with the debate on whether or not the DMR is OP. If you want to do some research of your own then by all means please post your results. It would also be great if someone from HaloTracker could mass pull some data off their servers... if that is possible.

Discuss.
It's a shame that no one is replying. It looks like you put a lot of work into this.
Extremely interesting. Wish I had time and the energy to put something like that together.

PS. You can file me as a DMR preferred player - lol
When compiling statistics it is necessary to remember that correlation does not imply causation. The results could be possible because better players and more experienced players on average use the DMR.
Nice post. Just by seeing that more people prefer the DMR shows that there is something wrong. Here, this is a thread about some DMR statistics.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postsm1798816_The-Truth-in-DMR-vs-BR.aspx#post1798816

and

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst162243_DERf--designated-everything-rifle--REDESIGN.aspx
Interesting post. I primarily play infinity slayer. I've been looking at my weapon stats over time. On the maps with alot of mid short exchanges, (haven, adrift, abandon) my K/D is better with the BR. On complex and solace my K/D is better with the DMR. I rarely play BTB, but when I do I usually choose the DMR because of the big maps and long shootouts. A lot of people seem to do better in short mide exchanged with the DMR though, which hasn't been the case for me thus far.
I XpLoSiVe I v7;2097741 wrote:
When compiling statistics it is necessary to remember that correlation does not imply causation. The results could be possible because better players and more experienced players on average use the DMR.

Could be, although most of the players that I run into online are less experienced that myself. And while I have not concluded that the DMR is OP yet, it is definitely overused. Considering that this is a loadout game, the distribution between primary weapon choice should be slightly more even. Even amongst more experienced players.

Also, I decided to collect some more samples and the original post has been updated accordingly.