Notification

Icon
Error

«< Previous23456Next >»12 Pages
Lehnaru;1515687 wrote:
They're not banning the videos from YouTube, they're just banning people from making money off of them.

The thing is they are not even doing that, they COULD do that but they are not as they could have been shutting people down for MONTHS as this change happened awhile ago.
KaruX04;1515645 wrote:
http://www.examiner.com/article/microsoft-removes-halo-4-forza-others-from-monetization-on-youtube

Wtf Microsoft?

So people who have millions of subscribers on youtube, thousands of followers on Twitch and livestream, are now not allowed to post their Halo 4 gameplay video's even though it's free mass advertising?

This is just another case of someone trying to 'stop copyright' and instead ruin lots of things for themselves and their customers.

WTF KaruX04!? You're over reacting! You can still stream videos on sites, you just can't make money off of them. Also just FYI, it's the same rules that was put in place MONTHS ago, nothing is new, just better clarified, but I guess they need to clarify it a bit more so people can understand.
The Little Moa;1515441 wrote:
Frankie wrote:
As I mentioned in the Halo community thread, these rules actually haven't really changed, and even the updated and clarified text has been up there for months. I assume somebody just noticed this and posted this morning because it sort of blew up. This has always been the Legal status for the IP (and MOST IPs in fact), and as you also already know, nobody is being sued, or in jail, etc etc etc.

The language isn't designed to stop kids streaming their games, or covering their costs, it's designed to stop big companies from using somebody else's IP to run a business.

We'll put together some language that will help community people navigate this easily, and give people workarounds.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43023018&postcount=117

I just want to point out that Frankie is post 117 in that thread.
Come on Microsoft this is pretty ridiculous and whoever came up with this is obviously out of touch with the gaming community today.

A lot of longevity in the community happens by posting videos, creating content and streaming gameplay. Taking that away hurts the community and is a terrible PR move with a new game so close to coming out.

I think it's pretty poor reasoning that you can't even put the word "Halo" in your title because you fear that people are going to get confused. You must not think much of your target audience's intelligence to make that claim.

At the end of the day I hope community outrage reaches you and you decide to reconsider these outlandish rule changes.
So Frankie was basically saying the language was updated to stop roosterteeth and RvB?
KnightFire919;1516021 wrote:
Come on Microsoft this is pretty ridiculous and whoever came up with this is obviously out of touch with the gaming community today.

A lot of longevity in the community happens by posting videos, creating content and streaming gameplay. Taking that away hurts the community and is a terrible PR move with a new game so close to coming out.

I think it's pretty poor reasoning that you can't even put the word "Halo" in your title because you fear that people are going to get confused. You must not think much of your target audience's intelligence to make that claim.

At the end of the day I hope community outrage reaches you and you decide to reconsider these outlandish rule changes.

Those have always been the rules. Someone just decided to read them and throw a fit because they can't make money.
Moa, A recommendation in the future: Please highly recommend they go through ALL the rules in the link before reading what you have to say. Thanks.

As Frankie, and the usage rules state, this is about stopping another company from making money on a copyrighted material without Microsoft's permission. Just write them a letter (microsoft) to get a license/apply for one explaining the circumstances with the Youtube Partnership and it'll clear the mess up. This is about stopping another company from using Halo footage to make a profit when legal processing is due to the copyright holders. Technically speaking, Microsoft could have sued anyone for any of this kind of stuff, at any time. Take a look around people, do you see anyone with that lawsuit? That's what I thought.

For those of you who simply want to upload to youtube. Continue doing so and use the disclaimer, written on the usage rules link, when your uploading to Youtube without trying to get money off of it or the ads associated with it, this clarification was designed to say your fine and Microsoft encourages you to do so as long as you do it with the disclaimer.

As for those who believe the freedom of a video game footage is the sole property of you and others who want to make a buck off of it: either get in line with the business policies, guidelines, and procedures or at very least please stop trying to find something to complain about. Microsoft has paid and followed all proper guidelines, policies, and procedures to claim the Halo Franchise copyright title. Not you, and certainly not anyone else, if you want to get those rights, invent something from scratch and claim the copyright of it.
PhNx Hellfire;1516135 wrote:
Moa, A recommendation in the future: Please highly recommend they go through ALL the rules in the link before reading what you have to say. Thanks.

As Frankie, and the usage rules state, this is about stopping another company from making money on a copyrighted material without Microsoft's permission. Just write them a letter (microsoft) to get a license/apply for one explaining the circumstances with the Youtube Partnership and it'll clear the mess up. This is about stopping another company from using Halo footage to make a profit when legal processing is due to the copyright holders. Technically speaking, Microsoft could have sued anyone for any of this kind of stuff, at any time. Take a look around people, do you see anyone with that lawsuit? That's what I thought.

For those of you who simply want to upload to youtube. Continue doing so and use the disclaimer, written on the usage rules link, when your uploading to Youtube without trying to get money off of it or the ads associated with it, this clarification was designed to say your fine and Microsoft encourages you to do so as long as you do it with the disclaimer.

As for those who believe the freedom of a video game footage is the sole property of you and others who want to make a buck off of it: either get in line with the business policies, guidelines, and procedures or at very least please stop trying to find something to complain about. Microsoft has paid and followed all proper guidelines, policies, and procedures to claim the Halo Franchise copyright title. Not you, and certainly not anyone else, if you want to get those rights, invent something from scratch and claim the copyright of it.

I made this post minutes after it was pointed out on Twitter, like everyone else was at that time, it seemed bad, before people looked into it, and then Frankie posted on GAF.
#1 Doodle fanboy!
We're not rejects; We get Rejections
I'm confused, do I put my ad back up on my extendible bridge video or not?
Official Waypoint Squeaker!
Principles and ethics
E♥A A+S
erickyboo;1516148 wrote:

Are you partnered with a Gaming Network (Not Youtube) that has a content license?
So if I am reading this correctly the company needs the license and not the individual. Correct?

Because I already heard that twitch.tv is already trying to get one and I assume youtube will follow suit.
Lycan XIII;1516164 wrote:
erickyboo;1516148 wrote:

Are you partnered with a Gaming Network (Not Youtube) that has a content license?

No. I just have the ability to upload longer videos I believe, and have ads on my videos.
Official Waypoint Squeaker!
Principles and ethics
E♥A A+S
TrueFlyingCow;1516034 wrote:
So Frankie was basically saying the language was updated to stop roosterteeth and RvB?

No. Microsoft/343 actually sponsor them if I remember correctly. RT is the group that MS/343 go to to make a promotional video on anything halo.
erickyboo;1516185 wrote:
erickyboo;1516148 wrote:

No. I just have the ability to upload longer videos I believe, and have ads on my videos.

If you are not getting payed then you are fine. If you are you won't get payed until Youtube gets the all clear from Microsoft
We know you have questions about the updated Game Content Usage Rules. The good news is that little to nothing actually changed. The rules are basically the same, with clarification added to address some frequently asked questions. While those rules govern several different titles, we would like to assure you that we not only love seeing, watching, and hearing your many different Halo-related creations, but we want you to be able to create to your heart’s content. That is one of the primary reasons we forged a partnership with Machinima, for example, so in theory, just about anyone could sign up as part of a simple pre-approved partner program and actually earn money on YouTube and avoid even having to think about it or apply for a separate license.

Both Rooster Teeth and Machinima have held our normal commercial licenses for years (and others can reach out to us for commercial licenses as well), so rest assured they will continue to exist as you know them. The majority of everything the community makes currently is fine, as long as they are not basically running a big Halo-based business or using Halo as if the IP was its own property. That actually isn’t a change to our policy, simply a clarification and update of the dry legal language, and as we’ve mentioned, even that “new” language was actually updated months ago. We don’t have squads of lawyers waiting in the wings to go after folks making machinima, or showing off their skills in Halo. Basically it’s business as usual.

So please, continue creating. And when you do, we’ll continue to spotlight and share it with the community.
On the bright side, I believe monetizing guides with spoken directions and limited game interface and audio is still legal as it falls under fair use.
erickyboo;1516185 wrote:
erickyboo;1516148 wrote:

If it's just a Youtube partnership, then no because they don't have provide you a Content License.
Here's Youtube's stance. You can only monetize it if you have a license for it.
Does this affect halo reach and halo 3 or just halo 4?
wWaRninG;1516364 wrote:
Does this affect halo reach and halo 3 or just halo 4?

All Halo games.
Video games don't cause violence, lag does.
@misplacedyank
«< Previous23456Next >»12 Pages