Your Pros/Cons of the tech preview

After playing the insider tech preview as much as I could, I was wondering what are people’s pros and cons of the preview.

Keep in mind that from what I have heard this is a 2 month old build of the game so many things could have been improved upon, changed or removed by the devs.

An unfortunate con I notice is a lot of the disdain around the technical problems I’m seeing influencers perpetuate to their audience.

I am concerned that if this narrative continues, before launch Halo Infinite will have a reputation of “that game that didn’t work.” Sort of like how after FFXIV was relaunched, it still carried the reputation of its former self.

I am not sure what terminology change or clarification would be needed prior to the release of a technical flight where people would be more understanding. I feel like 343i were transparent enough already.

I am really liking where the game is going, and it does “feel like Halo.” I like the abilities so far, and the new weapons have impressed me so far. The soundtrack so far is definitely spectacular. I’m loving it. That said, some of the menus and opening and closing scenes of a match feel ‘forced’ in a way. They don’t quite feel smooth. The after action report with the leaderboards could be a bit clearer and better looking. Once in a match, the gameplay is awesome.
On the other hand, I’m not that impressed with the way the battle pass works or the customizations. When I heard that there would be credits, I envisioned it being like Halo Reach. Instead the credits seem to just be real money stuff. I really like having a currency system that you can earn, and then use that to purchase anything you would like. If you want something cool, you have to save up enough currency to get it. I don’t like just having a set progression where I’m unlocking a bunch of stuff which I didn’t really care for in the first place.
There are definitely things that 343i can work on in terms of technical items and I’d love to see them listen to some of the ideas that the community is throwing out. They have done a great job so far on it, and they are making a good call with releasing a flight. I’m loving the game, but I just wanted to throw out some… constructive criticism if you will.
Let us all thank 343i for taking Halo to where it is today

My two major takeaways is that I’d like the time to kill to be a little longer (maybe even just half a second) and I’d like just playing regular matches to earn you XP for the battle pass. Maybe radar showing elevation as well (not up and down arrows, just faint or bright) would be nice, and I’m not a huge fan of the power weapons having rotations (shotgun and sniper and overshield vs impaler and heatwave and cloak on the academy map, for instance) since I like being able to go “oh this weapon is here” rather than “well since the cloak spawned it’s THIS weapon…”

Other than that I’m surprised how much I’m enjoying it and will probably stick with it.

I’m having a blast with this alpha! I am actually highly impressed how the game feels and how smooth the movement feels. I would have to say the only thing I feel is lacking is the look of the medals. Other than that they have put out a solid game thus far! Excited for what’s to come!!!

> 2533274791998460;4:
> I’m sorry, I know this is a tech preview, but it is also 8 months beyond the intended release. The amount of glitches, server issues, low frame rate, and just overall lack of polish, it is just not what I was expecting. 343, I am happy you have taken up the “Mantle of Responsibility” for the Halo franchise, but please do better.

i mean, the pandemic is one reason why the delay happened, and two, this is a technical preview so these things are to be expected, personally i haven’t had much issues aside from the first day from all the overload, i still get kicked back to the menu from time to time, but overall the game is playable for me, and i’m using an xbox one s

> 2533274807618628;5:
> My two major takeaways is that I’d like the time to kill to be a little longer (maybe even just half a second) and I’d like just playing regular matches to earn you XP for the battle pass. Maybe radar showing elevation as well (not up and down arrows, just faint or bright) would be nice, and I’m not a huge fan of the power weapons having rotations (shotgun and sniper and overshield vs impaler and heatwave and cloak on the academy map, for instance) since I like being able to go “oh this weapon is here” rather than “well since the cloak spawned it’s THIS weapon…”
>
> Other than that I’m surprised how much I’m enjoying it and will probably stick with it.

I think I heard somewhere that the weapon rotations were only for the flight, don’t quote me on that though.
I also agree that XP should be earned by simply playing matches.

> 2533274927353745;7:
> > 2533274791998460;4:
> > I’m sorry, I know this is a tech preview, but it is also 8 months beyond the intended release. The amount of glitches, server issues, low frame rate, and just overall lack of polish, it is just not what I was expecting. 343, I am happy you have taken up the “Mantle of Responsibility” for the Halo franchise, but please do better.
>
> i mean, the pandemic is one reason why the delay happened, and two, this is a technical preview so these things are to be expected, personally i haven’t had much issues aside from the first day from all the overload, i still get kicked back to the menu from time to time, but overall the game is playable for me, and i’m using an xbox one s

I was in fact quite surprised on how it performed on the one s, granted there is still some issues but in my case they seem to be universal on all platforms.

> 2533274821743372;6:
> I’m having a blast with this alpha! I am actually highly impressed how the game feels and how smooth the movement feels. I would have to say the only thing I feel is lacking is the look of the medals. Other than that they have put out a solid game thus far! Excited for what’s to come!!!

I agree the medals should be more prominent, I also have mixed feelings about the new spree names past rampage such as nightmare, demon etc, I feel like it was an unnecessary change.

> 2535457258505993;8:
> > 2533274807618628;5:
> > My two major takeaways is that I’d like the time to kill to be a little longer (maybe even just half a second) and I’d like just playing regular matches to earn you XP for the battle pass. Maybe radar showing elevation as well (not up and down arrows, just faint or bright) would be nice, and I’m not a huge fan of the power weapons having rotations (shotgun and sniper and overshield vs impaler and heatwave and cloak on the academy map, for instance) since I like being able to go “oh this weapon is here” rather than “well since the cloak spawned it’s THIS weapon…”
> >
> > Other than that I’m surprised how much I’m enjoying it and will probably stick with it.
>
> I think I heard somewhere that the weapon rotations were only for the flight, don’t quote me on that though.
> I also agree that XP should be earned by simply playing matches.

Idk, I think it might be there way of easily allowing new weapons in maps for a game thats going to be updated with new content for 10 years.

For instance let’s say the dmr is not in the game at launch but is added next year. They could add it in with the rotation of the battle rifle.

Fuel rod added in rotation of rocket launcher.

I don’t see it being a big deal a Spartan never knows what he is going to find on the battlefield anyway.

> 2535457258505993;10:
> > 2533274821743372;6:
> > I’m having a blast with this alpha! I am actually highly impressed how the game feels and how smooth the movement feels. I would have to say the only thing I feel is lacking is the look of the medals. Other than that they have put out a solid game thus far! Excited for what’s to come!!!
>
> I agree the medals should be more prominent, I also have mixed feelings about the new spree names past rampage such as nightmare, demon etc, I feel like it was an unnecessary change.

Why? There is nothing wrong with those. I heard, however, the Extermination medal is renamed. I hope not.

> 2533274805386380;12:
> > 2535457258505993;10:
> > > 2533274821743372;6:
> > > I’m having a blast with this alpha! I am actually highly impressed how the game feels and how smooth the movement feels. I would have to say the only thing I feel is lacking is the look of the medals. Other than that they have put out a solid game thus far! Excited for what’s to come!!!
> >
> > I agree the medals should be more prominent, I also have mixed feelings about the new spree names past rampage such as nightmare, demon etc, I feel like it was an unnecessary change.
>
> Why? There is nothing wrong with those. I heard, however, the Extermination medal is renamed. I hope not.

Your right, there isn’t except for any nostalgia aspects but what was wrong with the original medal names?

> 2535457258505993;13:
> > 2533274805386380;12:
> > > 2535457258505993;10:
> > > > 2533274821743372;6:
> > > > I’m having a blast with this alpha! I am actually highly impressed how the game feels and how smooth the movement feels. I would have to say the only thing I feel is lacking is the look of the medals. Other than that they have put out a solid game thus far! Excited for what’s to come!!!
> > >
> > > I agree the medals should be more prominent, I also have mixed feelings about the new spree names past rampage such as nightmare, demon etc, I feel like it was an unnecessary change.
> >
> > Why? There is nothing wrong with those. I heard, however, the Extermination medal is renamed. I hope not.
>
> Your right, there isn’t except for any nostalgia aspects but what was wrong with the original medal names?

Nothing. Just hope its still extermination.

Pros - Visually looks good

Cons - Horrible frame-rate (I hope that’s just a dev build thing)
I won’t say it feels awful, Its just kind of meh.
The weapons feel underwhelming.

> 2533274805386380;12:
> > 2535457258505993;10:
> > > 2533274821743372;6:
> > > I’m having a blast with this alpha! I am actually highly impressed how the game feels and how smooth the movement feels. I would have to say the only thing I feel is lacking is the look of the medals. Other than that they have put out a solid game thus far! Excited for what’s to come!!!
> >
> > I agree the medals should be more prominent, I also have mixed feelings about the new spree names past rampage such as nightmare, demon etc, I feel like it was an unnecessary change.
>
> Why? There is nothing wrong with those. I heard, however, the Extermination medal is renamed. I hope not.

I don’t think the extermination still exists. I’ve been hunting some early game overkill’s when the bots spawn as a group and never gotten it. Even when they all died in like a second from some amazing clusterluck ^_^. Hope they will still add it!

> 2535422212492174;16:
> > 2533274805386380;12:
> > > 2535457258505993;10:
> > > > 2533274821743372;6:
> > > > I’m having a blast with this alpha! I am actually highly impressed how the game feels and how smooth the movement feels. I would have to say the only thing I feel is lacking is the look of the medals. Other than that they have put out a solid game thus far! Excited for what’s to come!!!
> > >
> > > I agree the medals should be more prominent, I also have mixed feelings about the new spree names past rampage such as nightmare, demon etc, I feel like it was an unnecessary change.
> >
> > Why? There is nothing wrong with those. I heard, however, the Extermination medal is renamed. I hope not.
>
> I don’t think the extermination still exists. I’ve been hunting some early game overkill’s when the bots spawn as a group and never gotten it. Even when they all died in like a second from some amazing clusterluck ^_^. Hope they will still add it!

Me too. A Discord friend mentioned it may be renamed to something silly.