Your overall thoughts of the story

What are your thoughts of Halo 2’s story after all these years? Your thoughts of the characters? What’s your score for each?

> What are your thoughts of Halo 2’s story after all these years? Your thoughts of the characters? What’s your score for each?

All I know is I loved being Arbiter. The rest of the story-line was great but I don’t focus much on story while playing. I just let the game take me for a good ride, even to this day.

It was the choppiest of all the Halo game stories. It was not a bad story line, but it was changed last minute and lead to one of the most notorious cliffhangers in video game history. The characters introduced were well done and interesting, but because of the time constraints we never did “Finish the fight” as Bungie promised us.

This was my favorite campaign of the series, by far. I liked playing as both Master Chief and the Arbiter. You fought in so many different places, which was awesome. The environments were stellar and the story was really interesting to me for some reason. And I know I’m going to get hate for this, but the Halo 2 ending was my favorite ending out of the series.

> It was the choppiest of all the Halo game stories. It was not a bad story line, but it was changed last minute and lead to one of the most notorious cliffhangers in video game history. The characters introduced were well done and interesting, but because of the time constraints we never did “Finish the fight” as Bungie promised us.

Finish the Fight was headline for Halo 3, not Halo 2. It wasn’t changed at last minute. It just continued in Halo 3.

As for OP, I liked seeing Covenant perspective. It was a fresh approach to FPS storyline. I never understood all the backlash for playing as Arbiter, beside fighting Flood which I didn’t mind at all.

Best story in the entire series by far.

> Finish the Fight was headline for Halo 3, not Halo 2. It wasn’t changed at last minute. It just continued in Halo 3.
>
> As for OP, I liked seeing Covenant perspective. It was a fresh approach to FPS storyline. I never understood all the backlash for playing as Arbiter, beside fighting Flood which I didn’t mind at all.

Actually yes indeed it was, the original ending of Halo 2 was planned to be much different. There was to be a level in which the master chief was to make the final battle for earth. It eventually would lead to Halo 3, but it would not be the same story at all. They actually recorded the dialogue for said level and were ready to make it, but unfortunately they had to cut the level and rework the ending into a cliffhanger.

The storyline was incredible. As for the cliffhanger? GAH.

In my opinion Halo 2 was the best campaign of the series. Bungie had a big story to tell and took a risk putting the player in the role of the Arbiter to tell the Covenant’s side of the story. While there was the cliffhanger ending that catches you by surprise the first play through the campaign took you the player to some of the most memorable settings in the Halo universe. To this day I believe that the settings and story furthered the franchise more than any of the other games with only the original being close by the very nature of introducing us to the Halo universe.

I still find myself replaying Halo 2 and watching the bonus DVD that came with the limited edition of the game. Perhaps I’m looking at Halo 2 through rose colored glasses since I had read the first 3 novels in between the release of Combat Evolved and Halo 2. The fiction that Bungie and now 343i have released outside of the games makes the universe more immersive and keeps me coming back for more. So Halo 2’s campaign to me feels like the franchise’s best attempt to tell more of the story than any of the subsequent games. It provided insight into the motivations of the Covenant, introduced us to new enemy character classes: Brutes, Drones and the Prophets. The Arbiter’s story and role in the campaign was great in that at first he was this disgraced shipmaster, then assassin for the Prophets, staying loyal until being betrayed by the Prophets and the Brutes. It was a great story and excellent transformation of a character as I’ve seen in any game.

Halo Combat Evolved will always hold a special place, but Halo 2 is what I always go back to when I want to play an epic campaign.