Your Midnight Launch Story

Post a midnight launch story you experienced waiting for a Halo game! This is my story:

I was 10. Me, my bestfriend, and my dad were waiting for hours. It was September 24th, 2007, I was the first in the midnight launch line. Gamestop had pizza, Halo 3 game fuel, Halo 2 tournaments running, the whole GameStop store was “Haloized” with posters, statues, and apparel to buy. I had managed to save enough money via doing chores, Christmas, ect. to get the Legendary Edition, it was my favorite midnight launch ever, getting the Legendar Edition FIRST in the 5 hour line to the cashier. I held up my box to everyone and they started cheering, I rushed home with my dad and played through the campaign all day the next day.

Fast forward to November 5th, 2012. I’m alone, best friend dead and having my own car. I’m 16. I’m first in the midnight launch line. Gamestop had pizza, Halo 4 game fuel, Halo 3 tournaments running, the whole GameStop store was “Haloized” with posters, statues, and apparel to buy. I had managed to save enough money via working to get the Limited Edition and a UNSC controller, it was my favorite midnight launch ever, getting the Limited Edition FIRST in the 5 hour line to the cashier. I held up my game to everyone and they started cheering, I rushed home in my car and no-lifed the game for a week.

Holy nostalgia.

My Midnight Launch Story:

The clock reads 11:59. I’m excited. I can’t wait for what is about to happen. The door opens. There is a coolness to the air. Hairs stand up on my arm. I reach in, pull out the beer and crack that bad boy open.

12:00. I’m on the couch watching Community while the rain beats on my window. I laugh to myself at the thought of my friends waiting in line outside Gamestop, cold and damp, safe in the knowledge my pre-order will still be there in the morning.

Unfortunately I doubt nearly as many people will preorder Halo 4 as did for Halo 3. And there won’t be a huge line or nearly as much excitement floating around.

Halo 2 was a lifechanging game. And Halo 3 was blessed with Halo 2’s reputation when it was coming out. Unfortunately Halo releases ever since have been alot less fruitful. Heck, the EB Games here hasn’t done a Midnight Release for one since…

But anyway, my midnight release story for Halo 3:

I showed up around 11:30 for Halo 3’s release, not so early but that was ok. I had a few friends there already and squeezed in with them right near the front where the line was still more like a crowd. One of our friends was really tall, intimidatingly so. And a military guy, and he loved Halo probably more than any of us. And as midnight got closer, he got closer to the door. Inch by Inch, and we just followed his lead. After a while we were chilling with the pair of guys at the front of the line in time for EB to reopen and let us all in. That basically shaved our wait down a good half hour.

I was #5 in line. But I managed to be #4 out the door since someone had to finish paying off the game. Legendary Edition box in hand I met up with my friends who just came along and went back to their place.

It was then I realized all the excitement made me forget I wasn’t getting a 360 for another week or two. And I had to last minute trade in Halo 2 to finish paying off the Legendary so… Yeah we broke out the Helmet, the Disk 2 DVD, and watched all the bonus stuff since there wasn’t much we could do.

When I finally got to play was the LAN Party Coop playthrough a few days later. Legendary all the way to The Covenant.

It was two years ago. The release of Halo Reach. I woke up around 6, got dressed and ready for class, drove off to school, and once my classes for the day were finished I drove over to gamestop, walked in, and got my LE of Reach.

I have no idea why people go to midnight, especially if they preordered the game. It’s going to wait there for you.

As a thrill run down my spine,I build enough courage to walk to my mailbox,and there you have it.HALO 3

Mine is for the lauch of halo 2, there was a small halo 1 tournament organized by the store, it was a new video game store called ‘‘microplay’’, it wasn’t a well known compagny yet there was only maybe 10 people participating to the FFA tournament. There were only 2 TV screen so we had to play in split screen in 4 player FFA matches. In the final round, it occur that I’m against my best friend and I won by 2 kill only! There was a free copy of the limited edition of halo 2 for the winner, so I came back home without paying any penny, I was so happy! Lol… got through the campaign with my best friend that same night :slight_smile:

At midnight on the 5th November I’ll be in bed, getting ready to wake up at 5:30am for a 12 hour day at work.

I’ll get home at 7pm, where I’ll have the next week off work to play (I have a lot of unused holiday hours, and don’t have anything I need them for since I already get a decent amount of time off on standard hours any way).

Also the postie can deliver my copy, I can’t be bothered standing around outside a shop in the middle of winter at midnight. :stuck_out_tongue:

At Midnight, i’m in my bad, sleaping. The next day i rush the Gamestop and get my pre-ordered copy without having to wait. Play it for 3 years straight.

My first midnight launch was ODST. My Gamestop just had cookies. Reach was very much the same, but with no food.
I don’t expect Halo 4 to be much different. The memories of Halo 4 launch night will be from getting home and actually playing the game, and watching as “X Friend is playing Halo 4” pop up on my screen all throughout the night and early afternoon.

Changed title and fixed up some spelling/grammar errors.

My first midnight launch was in 2007 for Halo 3. I was with my mum at gamesmen, I remember the 10 second countdown like it was yesterday lol. My second was for Halo 3 ODST, I was with dad and two of my mates & EBgames had the warthog there…that was awesome to see in real-life, pity the turret wasn’t on the back because it wasn’t allowed through customs.

November 8th 2004. Me and four of my best friends spend all day at the front of the line waiting for Halo 2. The local lan center holds a tourney for the first 80 people in line. I beat out enough people to earn 4th place winning nothing lol. By the time midnight hits both Software etc. and EB games (both now are Gamestop)have over 400 people in line. The clock hits midnight I get my game and head home to play pure awesome.

I have been to the midnight for every Halo game except ODST and every COD also and dont plan to miss one ever.