You think Forge got love like they said?

I was very glad to actually get a glimpse of Forge yesterday as I had a feeling it was going to be revealed at Comic Con. While the graphics look amazing and the lighting is great, I felt they didn’t put as much as they really could have… A lot of you guys were really wanting multiple Forge Worlds but I wasn’t feeling that. I felt this would have restricted Forge yet again and probably have people complaining about the Forge environments and palettes in a year like Reach’s Forge World.

It seems selfish but ultimately all I was looking for was Texture Editing, Terrain Editing, and Weather/Day and Night changes. This would have given everyone unlimited opportunities to make the maps they really wanted to. Also, looking closely a lot of the items in the Forge menu were the same ones in Halo Reach: like blocks, bridges, etc.

It already sucks that we won’t have the opportunity to get this stuff but my other concerns was:

1)Since there will be multiple Forge Worlds will there be separate items exclusive to the map (if so that would suck, because there might be a really cool object but it’s only restricted to one Forge World.)

2)Will we actually be able to create a true scary, horror, dark map or will we have to pretend again with the FX’s like in Reach

3)Is there going to be more scenery available to Forge or will houses, building, etc be left with pretend scenery made from blocks

4)Will there be a ton of CG options to create a real unique mode

5)Will they add more Forge Worlds as DLC separate from the War Games DLC?

Don’t get me wrong I’m still going to have some fun with Forging CG but, what do you guys think about these changes? Are they going to be worth it in the long run or just be fun for a couple months?

can’t say untill i see more items, and the other two maps
but i like how the map they showed us looks

and i’m still waiting for my vehicle info

Alot of stuff was just placeholders, and they probably removed some of the options from the forge menu because they would want to show them later on, they wouldn’t want someone seeing a new vehicle in the menu for example. I can almost guarantee that it will ship with more new features then they have shown. I hope… C’mon 343 we want Forge 3.0 not 2.1!

Honestly, I felt that the map they showed us looked a lot like the Forge World we have now. Wasn’t too impressed. Wished they would have showed up a totally different terrain: like snow or a desert.

> Honestly, I felt that the map they showed us looked a lot like the Forge World we have now. Wasn’t too impressed. Wished they would have showed up a totally different terrain: like snow or a desert.

Even the audience wasn’t that loud about it lol I felt people were crazier when Forge World was first shown…

…a lot of the items in the Forge menu were the same ones in Halo Reach: like blocks, bridges, etc

MFW. What objects did you expect? Stars? Bananas? Maybe a nice variety of unicycle-shaped items?

> > Honestly, I felt that the map they showed us looked a lot like the Forge World we have now. Wasn’t too impressed. Wished they would have showed up a totally different terrain: like snow or a desert.
>
> Even the audience wasn’t that loud about it lol I felt people were crazier when Forge World was first shown…

Bungie revealed Forge World in a trailer jam-packed with dramatic prose and even more dramatic music, set to a montage of spectacular staged scenes. Of course the fanbase wet themselves. That Certain Affinity aren’t suckers for theatrical presentation shouldn’t count against what they’ve put together.

> I was very glad to actually get a glimpse of Forge yesterday as I had a feeling it was going to be revealed at Comic Con. While the graphics look amazing and the lighting is great, I felt they didn’t put as much as they really could have… A lot of you guys were really wanting multiple <mark>Forge Worlds</mark> but I wasn’t feeling that. I felt this would have restricted Forge yet again and probably have people complaining about the Forge environments and palettes in a year like <mark>Reach’s Forge World</mark>.

Forge in Halo: Reach was held back by the fact that there was only one map, and one pallet of objects to play with. Halo 3’s forge mode was so fantastic because we were given several maps, two of which were Foundry and Sandbox. These had fantastic pallets and environments. Even smaller, minor maps such as Avalanche had fantastic pallets and were fun to mess with in Forge. Seeing as how these three maps on Halo 4 will each have different environments and item pallets, I highly doubt they will fall inferior to Halo: Reach’s bland pallet of grey, grey, and grey.

> It seems selfish but ultimately all I was looking for was Texture Editing, Terrain Editing, and Weather/Day and Night changes. This would have given everyone unlimited opportunities to make the maps they really wanted to. Also, looking closely a lot of the items in the Forge menu were the same ones in Halo Reach: like blocks, bridges, etc.

I don’t see an overhaul such as this coming to a “map editor”. Remember, that’s all this is, it’s a map editor, not a map creator. While it’s very possible to include something like this in an Xbox 360 game (Far Cry 2, Trials: Evolution), it’s too much work for Certain Affinity. Honestly, what they’re giving us is enough. Of course we’re getting basic objects like blocks, bridges, etc… What did you want instead? The map they’ve shown us uses a forerunner pallet, as did Forge World. The other two pallets will look very different.

> 1)Since there will be multiple Forge Worlds will there be separate items exclusive to the map (if so that would suck, because there might be a really cool object but it’s only restricted to one Forge World.)

Can we cut the habit of calling these forge worlds? Was Sandbox a forge world? Was Foundry a forge world? Of course there will be items exclusive to a single map, but the look and feel of the objects matches the other objects in the pallet. I’m sure that a block on The Ravine will look different from the blocks on the other two maps, but why would you want to blend a Forerunner block with another type of block?

> 2)Will we actually be able to create a true scary, horror, dark map or will we have to pretend again with the FX’s like in Reach

Hopefully one of the maps will be naturally dark like Sandbox, but we won’t know until they announce it.

> 3)Is there going to be more scenery available to Forge or will houses, building, etc be left with pretend scenery made from blocks

In my opinion, pre-made structures such as houses and buildings remove the ability to make an all around different map that stands out. This is what I disliked about Halo: Reach’s forge pallet. Need to make a two story building? Don’t bother with blocks, you’ve already got that building. Need to make half of that bunker from Halo: CE’s Blood Gulch? Well that’s just plain strange.

> 4)Will there be a ton of CG options to create a real unique mode

343i really seems to be taking a lot of what Halo: Reach had, and improving upon it. I don’t see why they would reduce the amount of customization within custom gametypes, but who knows what they’ll do with that until they announce it.

> 5)Will they add more Forge Worlds as DLC separate from the War Games DLC?

I really hope they don’t. Right now I’m imagining The Ravine, a new, revised Sandbox, and a larger Foundry. I guess we could use a snow map and a lava map as DLC.

> Don’t get me wrong I’m still going to have some fun with Forging CG but, what do you guys think about these changes? Are they going to be worth it in the long run or just be fun for a couple months?

Well they’ve completely improved upon Halo: Reach’s forge mode, and the multiplayer is apparently better. The problem with Halo: Reach’s forge mode was that the item pallet was boring, and that the multiplayer itself was “eh”. Who wants to take the time to forge excellent maps for “eh” multiplayer?

> Even the audience wasn’t that loud about it lol I felt people were crazier when Forge World was first shown…

Bungie showed Forge World at Comic Con. 343i showed Halo 4’s Forge at RTX.

Even though both have big fan bases regarding Halo, I would say Comic Con holds a larger ‘passionate’ Halo fan mass at the actual event.

> > Honestly, I felt that the map they showed us looked a lot like the Forge World we have now. Wasn’t too impressed. Wished they would have showed up a totally different terrain: like snow or a desert.
>

Probably because it looked too much like Forge World. It was all too familiar.

There will be multiple Forge environments, each with different aesthetics and pieces. To me, it was awesome news.

> Probably because it looked too much like Forge World. It was all too familiar.

^^

I agree they may have been better off showing an alternative colour pallet/ environment. Everyone knows that the remaining two are going to be snow/desert/who knows.

> > > Honestly, I felt that the map they showed us looked a lot like the Forge World we have now. Wasn’t too impressed. Wished they would have showed up a totally different terrain: like snow or a desert.
> >
> > Even the audience wasn’t that loud about it lol I felt people were crazier when Forge World was first shown…
>
> Bungie revealed Forge World in a trailer jam-packed with dramatic prose and even more dramatic music, set to a montage of spectacular staged scenes. Of course the fanbase wet themselves. That Certain Affinity aren’t suckers for theatrical presentation shouldn’t count against what they’ve put together.

Actually Forge World in Reach was revealed about 3 to 4 hours before the actual video came out, There was a video that was recorded at Comic Con before Reach and they showed off the map in raw gameplay, there was no music and no editing.

I honestly was (and still am) impressed with the improvements they’re making for halo 4’s forge mode, halo reach’s forge was already so good that I honestly didn’t think they would do anything with it.

> > Probably because it looked too much like Forge World. It was all too familiar.
>
> ^^
>
> I agree they may have been better off showing an alternative colour pallet/ environment. Everyone knows that the remaining two are going to be snow/desert/who knows.

Well, they don’t want to ruin all the surprises, now, do they? :slight_smile:

Its. Not. Done.

> > > Probably because it looked too much like Forge World. It was all too familiar.
> >
> > ^^
> >
> > I agree they may have been better off showing an alternative colour pallet/ environment. Everyone knows that the remaining two are going to be snow/desert/who knows.
>
> Well, they don’t want to ruin all the surprises, now, do they? :slight_smile:

Of course not but Im thinking about the Forge Fans out there.

Multiplayer/ Campaign/ Spartan Ops (Firefight) fans have got quite a lot of info and reveals. For those guys who share the same passion for Forge they only got a few new feature reveals. I’m not saying reveal half of Halo 4 Forge but the standard Forge World pallet was to be expected in all honesty.

> > > Probably because it looked too much like Forge World. It was all too familiar.
> >
> > ^^
> >
> > I agree they may have been better off showing an alternative colour pallet/ environment. Everyone knows that the remaining two are going to be snow/desert/who knows.
>
> Well, they don’t want to ruin all the surprises, now, do they? :slight_smile:

It’s still tiring after having to play on Forge World a majority of the time for almost two years, now. A lot of people are getting sick of the “Age of Gray”. I know we are getting new Forge environments, and that’s great. I’m just giving a reason as to why people may feel a bit disappointed in the reveal.

> > > > Honestly, I felt that the map they showed us looked a lot like the Forge World we have now. Wasn’t too impressed. Wished they would have showed up a totally different terrain: like snow or a desert.
> > >
> > > Even the audience wasn’t that loud about it lol I felt people were crazier when Forge World was first shown…
> >
> > Bungie revealed Forge World in a trailer jam-packed with dramatic prose and even more dramatic music, set to a montage of spectacular staged scenes. Of course the fanbase wet themselves. That Certain Affinity aren’t suckers for theatrical presentation shouldn’t count against what they’ve put together.
>
> Actually Forge World in Reach was revealed about 3 to 4 <mark>hours</mark> before the actual video came out, There was a video that was recorded at Comic Con before Reach and they showed off the map in raw gameplay, there was no music and no editing.

3 to 4 hours before the game came out? Didn’t it get shown about 3 to 4 months before Reach came out?

Great to see some nice additions. All i care about though is whether the forge objects colours and textures can be edited so we don’t have to play on bland grey maps that all look so damn similar it makes me bored!