You should be able to Sprint backwards.

I don’t understand why you can’t Sprint backwards. It obviously shouldn’t be as fast as a Sprint, but more like an accelerated backpedal. I think this simple change would greatly reduce the double melee tactic, make the Sprint+Sword/Shotgun/etc tactic less overpowered (though still totally feasible), and actually make “Sprint” an armor ability. Nowadays, Sprint is thought of more as an absence of an Armor Ability. The only people who ever use Sprint in a playlist like Team Slayer are those who view AAs as a “crutch” of some sort, i.e. those who feel they don’t need one. I understand Bungie wanted to slow movement speed down so that Sprint would be useful, make grenades more powerful so that AL would be useful, etc.; I understand that Bungie wanted Armor Abilities to emphasize a particular style of play in an attempt to give players more variety in their gameplay. But I think they failed in that regard, because certain armor abilities are ridiculously overpowered (like AL, which we need not get into; like Camo, where you can stay cloaked for like 20 seconds if you stand still AND jam every enemy’s radar; like jetpack, which can instantly break map control, etc) while conversely, Sprint is underpowered. The very concept of unbalanced Armor Abilities violates the very principle of having balanced gameplay.

Hence, allowing those who choose the Sprint loadout to Sprint backwards (at a reasonable pace, enough to kill someone attempting a double melee with fairly well-aimed DMR shots, and enough to kill someone Sprinting towards you with 5 perfectly placed DMR shots; though these are merely my suggestions and suitable for debate as to just how fast one should be able to backpedal) will help balance gameplay, and perhaps encourage more players to use Sprint (and their weapons).

YES

But one thing, you said Camo is overpowerd and stuff, but it’s not THAT good. I was just standing still and someone managed to see me and assassinate me quite easily. Plus, back on H3 because it was a power up so people weren’t expecting people to be invisible much, but on reach people are always on the lookout.

But yes to Sprint backwards.

So evade then? Imo that would make evade practically useless as people would be able to dodge AND shoot at the same time. There would be no balance and the shotgun and sword would be made useless unless people camped, which would promote camping. Its not a complete trainwreck of an idea though. Part of me thinks this is a good idea but part of me also thinks its a bad one…i’m not sure which one wins.

Also, don’t want to seem rude but go outside and try and sprint (I mean full on sprint, not just a run) backwards. Tell me how that works out.

> YES
>
>
> But one thing, you said Camo is overpowerd and stuff, but it’s not THAT good. I was just standing still and someone managed to see me and assassinate me quite easily. Plus, back on H3 because it was a power up so people weren’t expecting people to be invisible much, but on reach people are always on the lookout.
>
> But yes to Sprint backwards.

You can see people who are cloaked fairly easily if you have a hi-def screen. Though if you were seen easily, there’s one of two possibilities: you either weren’t fully claoked (recently fired your weapon, were running, etc) OR you were standing in too obvious or open of a spot. Camo is fairly ridiculous, and a Camo sniper is nearly unstoppable. But I’d rather keep the discussion on Sprint.

> So evade then? Imo that would make evade practically useless as people would be able to dodge AND shoot at the same time. There would be no balance and the shotgun and sword would be made useless unless people camped, which would promote camping. Its not a complete trainwreck of an idea though. Part of me thinks this is a good idea but part of me also thinks its a bad one…i’m not sure which one wins.
>
>
> Also, don’t want to seem rude but go outside and try and sprint (I mean full on sprint, not just a run) backwards. Tell me how that works out.

You can evade laterally, and you can evade forwards and backwards at nearly the same speed. Second, Evade and Sprint are nevertheless very different abilities. I feel Evade is a sort of “Sprint on Steroids.” You can roll forward, but you might roll too far or too fast, it’s not very maneuverable (in that you can only Evade in one direction, in a straight line for a set distance), etc.

Next, Sword and Shotgun would be anything but useless. Let me ask you: have you ever gotten a kill with the sword or shotgun without Sprint? I’m sure you have. They are close-quarters weapons… but I shouldn’t be able to kill you from 50 feet away with Sword simply because I can easily catch you via Sprinting forwards and lunging at you. It’s actually a viable strategy to run with the Sword out when you have Sprint. In Halo 2, you always concealed that you had the Sword, because [good] players would adjust their play-style such that they would stay out of your sword-lunge range and kill you before you could catch up to them. In Reach, it doesn’t matter. I can run with my Sword out, and you can’t do anything about it. In Halo 2 and 3, they had the Shotgun and Sword, and no Sprint ability. Do you honestly believe that NO sword or shotgun kill was ever achieved without “camping”? Of course not-- they weren’t as common as they were in Reach, but that doesn’t mean they were useless in Halo 2 and 3 or would be useless if it was possible to backpedal.

Lastly, I can backpedal quite quickly just fine, thank you.

no. just no.

Not so much a Backwards Sprint, But with a Default movement speed increase. Players will be able to back pedal a little bit easier without being caught moving too slow to do anything giving optimal range if timed for a few shots with a weapon to take them down.

343i Increased movement speed better be in the TU!!!

Camo is overpowered?? Since when?

God, it has to be the most useless camo in a multiplayer game I’ve ever seen. You might as well have a strobe light attached to your character when it moves while in camo, especially if it happens to have a needler, and the radar jamming lets enemies know that someone is using camo nearby, defeating the purpose of trying to not be found!

If anything, camo has to be one of the least powerful abilities in this game, next to sprint. You wanna talk overpowered? Then lets talk about something that makes you completely invulnerable, and can be recharged pretty damn fast.

> Not so much a Backwards Sprint, But with a Default movement speed increase. Players will be able to back pedal a little bit easier without being caught moving too slow to do anything giving optimal range if timed for a few shots with a weapon to take them down.
>
> 343i Increased movement speed better be in the TU!!!

Increased movement speed in gametypes would be able to be added without the need for a TU.
Also, Sprinters get the speed increase as well, defeating the purpose of increasing movement speed to backpedal faster.

We can’t even sprint sideways and you want to sprint backwards?

No.

Sprinting with a Shotty/Sword is totally balanced.

The “real” way to get kills is sneaking behind doors/cover…etc and getting your kill from there leaving the victim little time to react. That’s the goal of these kind of power weapons and there’s nothing wrong with it.

The “wrong” way or even “foolish” way is to charge head on towards your enemy.

If the aggressor has a Sword, this is where Sword Blocking comes in since you have enough time to react.

Sprinting with a Shotgun takes a bit longer since you can’t shoot while you’re sprinting. You gotta’ stop sprinting by re-pressing the ability button, aim, and then shoot.

IMO, it’s balanced.

Sprinting backwards to me is a no. Why Sprint backwards when you can just jump back and evade a grenade? They both would take the same time to achieve. If you’re getting team shotted and you want to escape using sprint, just turn around and run. It would take the same amount of time as backward Sprinting since it’s slower. Besides, I wouldn’t Sprint backward as it would give a easy headshot to my enemy when I could be keeping my head below my shoulders… And it looks goofy, picture an enemy you’re shooting suddenly running backwards toward cover. nah

Hmmm I know what would work. Bleedthrough melee so you have somewhat of a chance to kill a sprinter coming at you as you are putting rounds into him. When he’s in range, BAM! Dead. Victory dance commence.

> Hmmm I know what would work. Bleedthrough melee so you have somewhat of a chance to kill a sprinter coming at you as you are putting rounds into him. When he’s in range, BAM! Dead. Victory dance commence.

I’d prefer a 3 hit melee kill. I don’t like putting in a few shots and having to hit the melee button.

They should also add the option to do a backflip while jumping.

this would definitely be very cool.

the main change with sprint that i would like to see is something like:

if you take damage, you STOP sprinting and CANNOT sprint for another 2 seconds since the last bit of ENEMY damage (so your teammates cant shoot you to prevent you from getting to a powerweapon lol)

this way you cant just sprint away when you are 1 shot down in a DMR battle, etc.

> this would definitely be very cool.
>
> the main change with sprint that i would like to see is something like:
>
> if you take damage, you STOP sprinting and CANNOT sprint for another 2 seconds since the last bit of ENEMY damage (so your teammates cant shoot you to prevent you from getting to a powerweapon lol)
>
> this way you cant just sprint away when you are 1 shot down in a DMR battle, etc.

you call this balance when you got AL, JetPack and Evade?

> No.
>
> Sprinting with a Shotty/Sword is totally balanced.
>
>
> The “real” way to get kills is sneaking behind doors/cover…etc and getting your kill from there leaving the victim little time to react. That’s the goal of these kind of power weapons and there’s nothing wrong with it.
>
> The “wrong” way or even “foolish” way is to charge head on towards your enemy.
>
> If the aggressor has a Sword, this is where Sword Blocking comes in since you have enough time to react.
>
> Sprinting with a Shotgun takes a bit longer since you can’t shoot while you’re sprinting. You gotta’ stop sprinting by re-pressing the ability button, aim, and then shoot.
>
> IMO, it’s balanced.
>
>
>
> Sprinting backwards to me is a no. Why Sprint backwards when you can just jump back and evade a grenade? They both would take the same time to achieve. If you’re getting team shotted and you want to escape using sprint, just turn around and run. It would take the same amount of time as backward Sprinting since it’s slower. Besides, I wouldn’t Sprint backward as it would give a easy headshot to my enemy when I could be keeping my head below my shoulders… And it looks goofy, picture an enemy you’re shooting suddenly running backwards toward cover. nah

Disagree. Sprint alone is not enough to avoid a well-placed grenade if you’ve taken even just 1 or 2 shots. Just today I had a DMR battle with a guy, caught him off-guard and killed him, and he only put one shot in me. He throws a grenade at my feet and I jump the instant I see the plasma leaving his hand coming towards me. I watched it in theater, and I was a good distance away from the grenade when it exploded, but I died anyway. Sprint obviously wasn’t made for avoiding grenades and you know it.

Edit: also, FYI, even if you’re sprinting away with your head down, a guy can shoot you in the back and get a headshot (bullet goes through your body into your head).

If they do make that possible, sprinting backward, should enlarge the reticlue to make you more inaccurate if you can shoot while sprinting backwards.

But in all, no support. You should know that you never get close to the guy with the shot gun or sword.

My problem isn’t really with sprint/sword, it’s with melees (and avoiding grenades) and CQC in general.