You know why these forums aren't as popular as bungie?

You guys know why these forums aren’t as popular as Bungie’s forums?

Because you guys combined and lock threads constantly. I get that there’s already threads about topics, but you don’t need to combine threads or lock threads all the time. Sometimes there’s ideas and posts that need to be seen, and aren’t going to be seen if they are on page 17 of the one thread in the entire forum that allows for discussion of that specific topic.

Let’s use the topic of ranks as an example, since I just made a thread about ranks that was relevant, which just got locked. The bungie forums probably had 10,000 threads about ranks. There would be a relevant thread about a specific discussion inside the topic of ranks, and it would be seen, discussed, and then the thread would be done and it would slowly be pushed back to later pages and then next time there was a relevant discussion about rank, another thread would be made, it would have it’s time to shine, and then it would be done.

Having single threads dedicated to single topics is a good idea in concept, but a terrible idea in reality. If I wanted to come on these forums and find posts about ranks, or talk about ranks, I’m not going to look at the single rank discussion thread and sift through a million posts in a completely unorganized thread who’s only requirements is the word “rank” in order to find the specific post I want to see. On top of that, when there’s single threads for topics as broad as things such as rank, it’s going to be completely disorganized and borderline unreadable.

Do you guys realize how broad some of these topics are that you guys contain to one pinned or official thread? The topic of ranks can be anything from “Hey guys I think the inheritor symbol looks super neat” to “Let’s divulge into the concepts of ranking systems and compare and contrast the 1-50 ranking system with the Arena ranking system”.

Tell me, do both of those topics deserve to be contained in one thread? Who is really going to look through a huge thread in order to find either of those specific posts? On top of that, even if people wanted to, it’s going to change topic literally every post. As a random example, hypothetically, over here on Page 37 of the one and only Rank Discussion thread, here are the posts.

Post 1: I like the ranks in this game, they look really shiny and neat.
Post 2: Why DID I GET RESET WHAT THE HECK
Post 3: How much EXP do you need to rank up to X Rank?
Post 4: Quotes some guy from Page 4 and replies to him and whatever topic he was talking about, inside the general topic of ranks
Post 5: I don’t like Arenas ranking system
Post 6: Are we going to add more ranked playlists?
Post 7: Reply to post 1 Yeah man, that eclipse symbol is sick!
Post 8: Bungie sucks Reach is a bad game the ranks are stupid
Post 9: What rank am I, I don’t even know.
Post 10: LOL what’s the gamertag of the 19th guy to reach inheritor?

The worst is when you make a thread and it gets combined with another thread. On the rare chance that the thread it gets combined with is actually on a topic, and on a single topic, you now have two topics combined and it’s going to be completely disorderly and pointless.

So for the sake of tame and efficient discussion, please stop locking and combining threads in order to attempt to keep this forum “tidy”. All it’s doing is making this forum worse, and taking away a lot of it’s potential. I’ve probably made 6 or 7 threads on this site in the past year or however long this forum has been open, and I’m pretty sure all but 1, or maybe 2 have either been locked or combined.

It honestly makes me not even want to come to this site. All I’m doing is trying to help make sure Halo 4 isn’t a colossal failure like Reach was, and I can’t even do that without threads getting locked with orders from a moderator to post in some 120309034 page long thread, or my threads getting combined with another random thread. inb4 this thread is locked. If this thread get’s locked I will honestly never come to this site again. So you might as well permanently ban me if you lock or combine this thread.

A happy forum is an organised forum.

I’m perfectly fine the way the forum is.
A clean forum is a good forum in my eyes.

Plus who cares how popular it is?
I like the population where it is now.
Its easier to get to know people.

> A happy forum is an organised forum.

A happy forum is a forum where you can actually make threads and get stuff done. Not one where half the threads made get locked or combined with another thread.

Did you read my whole post or should I copy and paste the entire thing as a reply to your post?

> I’m perfectly fine the way the forum is.
> A clean forum is a good forum in my eyes.
>
> Plus who cares how popular it is?
> I like the population where it is now.
> Its easier to get to know people.

Yeah man, forget what the Halo player base wants. All that matters is socializing with a moderately small amount of other people, and getting what this small group of people wants.

Less stupid/inefficient rules and policies = more people coming to this site (or inversely, less people getting mad and leaving this site) = the opinions of more Halo players = a better Halo game.

I don’t see how this is so hard for people to understand.

> > I’m perfectly fine the way the forum is.
> > A clean forum is a good forum in my eyes.
> >
> > Plus who cares how popular it is?
> > I like the population where it is now.
> > Its easier to get to know people.
>
> Yeah man, forget what the Halo player base wants. All that matters is socializing with a moderately small amount of other people, and getting what this small group of people wants.
>
> Less stupid/inefficient rules and policies = more people coming to this site (or inversely, less people getting mad and leaving this site) = <mark>the opinions of more Halo players</mark> = a better Halo game.
>
> I don’t see how this is so hard for people to understand.

If they listened to most of these opinions, I’d fear for Halo 4’s development.

> If they listened to most of these opinions, I’d fear for Halo 4’s development.

Amen

If you can justify a thread’s existence, then sure, it can be on it’s own, but if you can’t, and it’s already covered in another thread, why let it be on its own?

I don’t see how having dozens of repeat threads and spam threads makes a forum any better…

> > > I’m perfectly fine the way the forum is.
> > > A clean forum is a good forum in my eyes.
> > >
> > > Plus who cares how popular it is?
> > > I like the population where it is now.
> > > Its easier to get to know people.
> >
> > Yeah man, forget what the Halo player base wants. All that matters is socializing with a moderately small amount of other people, and getting what this small group of people wants.
> >
> > Less stupid/inefficient rules and policies = more people coming to this site (or inversely, less people getting mad and leaving this site) = <mark>the opinions of more Halo players</mark> = a better Halo game.
> >
> > I don’t see how this is so hard for people to understand.
>
> If they listened to most of these opinions, I’d fear for Halo 4’s development.

So you’re saying the opinions of half the people on this site aren’t good opinions?

Gee, maybe we should get more and different people on this site. Maybe we should make this site more popular. Maybe we shouldn’t have these stupid/inefficient rules and policies about locking and combining threads so that more people come here and we don’t have such a huge concentration of bad ideas.

> > > > I’m perfectly fine the way the forum is.
> > > > A clean forum is a good forum in my eyes.
> > > >
> > > > Plus who cares how popular it is?
> > > > I like the population where it is now.
> > > > Its easier to get to know people.
> > >
> > > Yeah man, forget what the Halo player base wants. All that matters is socializing with a moderately small amount of other people, and getting what this small group of people wants.
> > >
> > > Less stupid/inefficient rules and policies = more people coming to this site (or inversely, less people getting mad and leaving this site) = <mark>the opinions of more Halo players</mark> = a better Halo game.
> > >
> > > I don’t see how this is so hard for people to understand.
> >
> > If they listened to most of these opinions, I’d fear for Halo 4’s development.
>
> So you’re saying the opinions of half the people on this site aren’t good opinions?

No, I am not.

You are taking my statement and using it to fit your complaint, when it is not suited for such activity.

> If you can justify a thread’s existence, then sure, it can be on it’s own, but if you can’t, and it’s already covered in another thread, why let it be on its own?
>
> I don’t see how having dozens of repeat threads and spam threads makes a forum any better…

Oh look, another user who clearly did not read the entire OP.

> > If you can justify a thread’s existence, then sure, it can be on it’s own, but if you can’t, and it’s already covered in another thread, why let it be on its own?
> >
> > I don’t see how having dozens of repeat threads and spam threads makes a forum any better…
>
> Oh look, another user who clearly did not read the entire OP.

Yeah, I did. And you even state in it that having Single Threads for Single Topics is a terrible idea…

Bungie.net became a chatroom.

Normal forums have topics last days, not minutes.

I like this forum because even though they run a tight ship, it ensures that this forum will never become like Bungie’s. God knows I hated 99.8% of the population on that site.

> Searchbar.

I can’t recall how many times I received that response when I first started on Bnet. As much as I disliked receiving it, more often than not, they were right. There was a plethora of repeat threads, many starting the exact same thing. There were times that there was a beehive of activity, and keeping multiple threads on the same topic was a full time job. I did not envy the ninjas.

I’m thankful that 343i is so involved, and taking an active role with their presence in these forums. Without it, everything has a natural tendency to migrate toward chaos. When that occurs, no one gets heard, and your brilliant idea gets lost in a sea of white noise.

So, coming from the other side of this coin, I for one, welcome the change.

Your thread was locked because you posted a link to a video which has been posted about 5 times already in various sections of the forum including the thread which was linked.

Waypoint isn’t as popular because it’s only been around for a year…not over 10, like Bungie’s. Just because it’s popular also doesn’t it’s better. Keep things organized and clean is a high priority here; if you don’t like it, don’t post here.

So basically the OP is saying the forums will be more popular if there was millions of posts on the same subject, and tons of threads talking about crap that has nothing to do with any thing on the forums, or is attacking some one.

That is -Yoink- sir, the reason the Bungie’s forums are more popular is because most of the people over there are there because they love Bungie because they are Bungie, or they’re too thick to understand that Bungie no longer owns Halo. Not because these forums are not poorly managed, I lurk around on other forums for other games I play, and out of all the forums I’ve been to or go to every day, Bungie’s forums are the only forums that isn’t well managed. Even if these forums was as poorly managed as Bungie’s, these forums would not be popular.

Now I’m not trying to say Bungie’s little community is a bad one, I’m just saying that keeping the forums clean, and not full of crap, has nothing to do with how popular it is.

Now, if people don’t want to come to these forums because of what you said, then fine by me, then the people who want to come here and talk about Halo, or Halo related things, in an organized manor can do so with out dealing with millions of threads on the some stupid subject.

threads get locked because they are either spam, full of trolls(not me in any way at all), full of flamers, not relevant to any topic on this forum(like the recent CoD thread appearances) or are purposely attacking someone or a community. sort of like this thread…

> A happy forum is an organised forum.

The thing is this forum seems very unorganized and cluttered. Bungie’s design is much more pleasing.