You know nothing about development.

A lot of people seem to be complaining at the thought of anyone at 343 doing anything that isn’t fixing matchmaking, for example, fixing sound bugs, adding new game types, adding Spartan Ops, making improvements to Campaign.
Seriously? You obviously don’t know a single thing about what it is like developing a piece of software as a group. They can’t just make everyone at 343 work on matchmaking. The sound guys can’t do anything about it. Neither can the art guys. They can only work on sound or art, so they will obviously only be able to work on improvements which they have the skill to complete, for example bringing new additions to the offline portion of the game, or fixing less overt bugs in Campaign.
Furthermore, there will only be a select team of people that have familiarity with the matchmaking portion of the software, so even people who are programmers can’t necessarily be moved over to matchmaking. You’d end up wasting more time trying to get them to grips with the brand new sections of the code which they have never seen before, so you can’t necessarily pull over the guys that are working on porting Spartan Ops, or fixing Campaign glitches, and make them all work on what is essentially networking, and compliance with brand new Xbox One social architecture.
That last part is also important to keep in mind if you’re thinking of moaning about how this all worked fine on the original Halo games, “so why are they failing on this now?! HOW BAD ARE THEY!!!111111TROL11”
Xbox Live, and its social functions, are completely different to how they used to be. The social elements of Xbox Live are now managed by a separate OS which runs alongside the component which runs the games. You can’t just port the code over, or even use it as a guide to solve the same problems. Its like taking two completely different jigsaw puzzles with completely differently shaped pieces and trying to force them together with a hammer. It just won’t work, you need to re-engineer all the ways in which your game communicates with any other machine.
343 have obviously screwed up in a lot of ways, but try to be less ignorant about it?
EDIT: I’ve responded to this earlier, but everyone seems to be ignoring it.
“The game is broken! Don’t tell us not to be angry!”
Read carefully, you’ll notice that I didn’t do that.
“You don’t need to be an expert to know that the game is broken!”
I didn’t say that either.
“They screwed up! They deserve every piece of criticism they get!”
Sorry, no they don’t. They deserve criticism that is accurate, and reasonable given the realities of software development. Not stupid criticism. As I’ve said down below, if you get some fries and they’re cold, you can go right on ahead and claim that they’re cold, but don’t go and complain that they taste awful because they’re full of GMOs, if in reality they aren’t, and they’re just cold. That is stupid, inaccurate criticism. It doesn’t mean the people that have sold you the fries are now in the right, but it certainly makes you an idiot.

Were not software developers. We are consumers, and were sold an unfinished broken game. We don’t have to have knowledge of 343’s inner workings to be upset about that.

> 2535439246800400;2:
> Were not software developers. We are consumers, and were sold an unfinished broken game. We don’t have to have knowledge of 343’s inner workings to be upset about that.

The complaints being made are ignorant and unfounded, though. He never said you can’t complain, he just wants people to know what they’re talking about.

Want to know what I know about game development. It’s a job like any other where there are expectations to be met. They failed and deserve every bit of criticism that they get. If the company was dissolved after this failure I would not be surprised. In fact 343i is lucky that they have Microsoft watching their backs.

The ‘you couldn’t do it better’ argument is fundamentally flawed, and becoming tiresome.

And I’m pretty sure adding a countdown timer and lowering menu music is easy by beginner standards. Correct me if I’m wrong, OP.
As a matter of fact, forcing equal teams and changing from 5v5 to 4v4 shouldn’t be difficult either.

I’m not a guitarist, but I’m sure playing Smoke on the Water isn’t difficult.

> 2533274819030582;4:
> Want to know what I know about game development. It’s a job like any other where there are expectations to be met. They failed and deserve every bit of criticism that they get. If the company was dissolved after this failure I would not be surprised. In fact 343i is lucky that they have Microsoft watching their backs.

Microsoft is the reason this got -Yoinked!- up in the first place. 343i didn’t set the deadlines, and they didn’t even see a cent of the revenue the game brought in–that’s all on MS. 343i got screwed worse than we did because very few people actually understand that they were put in an impossible position for a ludicrously difficult, never-been-done-before project.

Publishers are almost always to blame to a game’s failure.

Well OP isn’t a software developer…

I am, so I’ll say this. What you said isn’t valid. Obviously art people can’t work on the coding. But any competent software developer should be able to look at the matchmaking code and get it working. Or get the voting countdown timer working. I know that I could get working matchmaking after three months. If 343 made MCC open source I could fix it in my spare time faster than they are.

Having to work with a new architecture or APIs or having to do all four games at once is just horrible excuses. I’ve been thrown into situations where I have to learn a new programming language or library in a day. Do I sit there and whine and complain and release a crappy product past the deadline because I’m not familiar with it? No. I do my job. I’m paid to be flexible and I’m competent enough to look at fresh code and understand what it does. Plus the number one rule of software development is customer communication which they have failed miserably at.

I don’t have to know anything about development to criticize a -Yoink- product. Just like I don’t have to know how to cook to know something tastes like -Yoink-.

Keep fighting that fight OP.

Are you serious? It doesn’t matter AT ALL that none of us are game developers, or that the vast majority of us have no experience with game development.

You don’t need to have game development knowledge to know that you just spent $60 on a worthless brick of a game that has so many problems that it borders on being one of the worst AAA game launches in the history of gaming.

The “you don’t know how hard it is because you’re not a dev” argument is used by fanboys for ever botched game that’s ever launched, and it’s a stupid argument that’s getting pretty stale. You don’t need to have a master’s degree to know that putting your hand on a hot stove is a bad idea, just like you don’t need a degree in game development to realize that Halo MCC is beyond screwed.
The fact is: It’s their job. That’s why we’re judging them and providing negative feedback. Because for the past 3 months it’s BEEN THEIR JOB to fix MCC, and they haven’t done it. They claim they’re working endlessly day and night to get it working, but there have been other dev’s games that have had botched launches and were fixed within weeks with a few patches (Advanced Warfare, Battlefield 4, Destiny). It’s not our job to fix the game, but as consumers of their product it is their job to heed our concerns and fix them. But all I’ve gotten from 343i is patches that have broken the game even worse for me. I can’t play with friends, I can’t play with a party or split-screen, hell, I can barely play the game by myself. Even the campaign crashes and freezes every now and then.

They’ve had 74 days to fix this game, 74 days that supposedly they’re working day and night to fix this atrociously broken game, and all they’ve managed to do is break the game even worse. The majority of people outside the US can’t even play online, period, can’t even find players or matches. That’s unacceptable, especially with their financial backing and the company that this IP belongs to, and the history of the IP as a whole.

We’re being so negative toward 343i because they deserve it. They took the nostalgia and great memories of hundreds of thousands and -Yoinked!- them all up, now they need to do what they’re supposed to, and fix the mess that they’ve made. After all, it is their job.

> 2717573882290994;5:
> I’m not a guitarist, but I’m sure playing Smoke on the Water isn’t difficult.

lol, I am a guitarist, and you’d be surprised about the solo.

I’m not a -Yoink!- or Jewish, but I’m pretty sure the -Yoink!- sucked.

Edit: Of course the logical conclusion to OP’s point is that if you don’t make games yourself every game is totally awesome.

I’ve always been an active defender of 343, as I am one of the few who has had little to no problems with TMCC. That being said, this argument is completely ignorant.

Whether or not one has an understanding of the inner workings of a games software is irrelevant.

> 2533274861718425;11:
> > 2717573882290994;5:
> > I’m not a guitarist, but I’m sure playing Smoke on the Water isn’t difficult.
>
>
> lol, I am a guitarist, and you’d be surprised about the solo.

I’m talking about the main riff. Lol.

I don’t want to know anything about development - that’s because this game is released and shouldn’t be “in development”! It’s simple really - I paid for a finished product, yet this isn’t finished. It’s like buying a brand new house, moving in and finding that they haven’t put the roof on yet, and there’s no plumbing. But don’t worry, because it’s “coming soon”…

RESPONSES YAY!
“We don’t need to be developers to know that we’ve been sold a bad product!”
Totally agree. My post was about specific criticisms that people make about 343’s decision to make additions which people don’t care about. Those criticisms are rooted in ignorance of how these products are built. If you’re just angry that you’ve been sold something that doesn’t work, go right on ahead, but do try your best to be clever angry, and not stupid angry. Stupid angry is easy-to-ignore angry.
“They failed, and so deserve every bit of criticism they get!”
This is just silly. Doing a bad thing doesn’t mean you now deserve every bad thing that happens to you. “What?! You stole a biscuit?! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!” No but seriously, obviously people only deserve criticism which is accurate and reasonable.
“Forcing equal teams should be easy.”
The fact that it hasn’t been done is evidence that it isn’t. Seriously, people need to use their brains. This has already been a major embarrassment. Companies like Microsoft don’t live or die by sales figures anymore, what they care about is consumer and investor confidence. They fight battles bigger than those fought on the shop floor, so even when people point out that they’ve already given their money, and Microsoft will be laughing their way to the bank, there is a bigger economic picture that 343 is painting, and Microsoft obviously do not like it. If this were easy, it would be fixed. No one in charge wants this game to be broken. If it is still broken, the only sensible answer is that it is difficult to fix. That doesn’t mean you can’t criticise, they’ve sold this product dishonestly, and I encourage you to get as angry as you want about that (within reason).
“I am a software developer, and this is easy. Everyone should believe me.”
If this were true, then the game wouldn’t be broken. Simple as. Either that or you’re some sort of genius that hides their talent (except for on these forums).

I love how OP thinks he knows everybody who posts on these forums.
It’s quite possible some people on here are game developers.

> 2533274801290461;1:
> A lot of people seem to be complaining at the thought of anyone at 343 doing anything that isn’t fixing matchmaking, for example, fixing sound bugs, adding new game types, adding Spartan Ops, making improvements to Campaign.
> Seriously? You obviously don’t know a single thing about what it is like developing a piece of software as a group. They can’t just make everyone at 343 work on matchmaking. The sound guys can’t do anything about it. Neither can the art guys. They can only work on sound or art, so they will obviously only be able to work on improvements which they have the skill to complete, for example bringing new additions to the offline portion of the game, or fixing less overt bugs in Campaign.
> Furthermore, there will only be a select team of people that have familiarity with the matchmaking portion of the software, so even people who are programmers can’t necessarily be moved over to matchmaking. You’d end up wasting more time trying to get them to grips with the brand new sections of the code which they have never seen before, so you can’t necessarily pull over the guys that are working on porting Spartan Ops, or fixing Campaign glitches, and make them all work on what is essentially networking, and compliance with brand new Xbox One social architecture.
> That last part is also important to keep in mind if you’re thinking of moaning about how this all worked fine on the original Halo games, “so why are they failing on this now?! HOW BAD ARE THEY!!!111111TROL11”
> Xbox Live, and its social functions, are completely different to how they used to be. The social elements of Xbox Live are now managed by a separate OS which runs alongside the component which runs the games. You can’t just port the code over, or even use it as a guide to solve the same problems. Its like taking two completely different jigsaw puzzles with completely differently shaped pieces and trying to force them together with a hammer. It just won’t work, you need to re-engineer all the ways in which your game communicates with any other machine.
> 343 have obviously screwed up in a lot of ways, but try to be less ignorant about it?

Do I have to know anything about cooking food to get permission to complain when I get a cold burger?

> 2533274801290461;16:
> “Forcing equal teams should be easy.”
> The fact that it hasn’t been done is evidence that it isn’t. Seriously, people need to use their brains. This has already been a major embarrassment. Companies like Microsoft don’t live or die by sales figures anymore, what they care about is consumer and investor confidence. They fight battles bigger than those fought on the shop floor, so even when people point out that they’ve already given their money, and Microsoft will be laughing their way to the bank, there is a bigger economic picture that 343 is painting, and Microsoft obviously do not like it. If this were easy, it would be fixed. No one in charge wants this game to be broken. If it is still broken, the only sensible answer is that it is difficult to fix. That doesn’t mean you can’t criticise, they’ve sold this product dishonestly, and I encourage you to get as angry as you want about that (within reason).
> “I am a software developer, and this is easy. Everyone should believe me.”
> If this were true, then the game wouldn’t be broken. Simple as. Either that or you’re some sort of genius that hides their talent (except for on these forums).

This is so wrong. Forcing equal teams is that easy. Any undergraduate computer science major past their sophomore year could do it. 343 is clearly lacking talent.

Do you actually think MS cares about its customers? MS and 343 only see you as a cash cow and they just attempt to milk everyone dry.

This post was just as funny as your first. Thanks for the laughs.

I’m pretty sure Jon Snow is the lead software developer in charge of matchmaking