You guys will never be happy

I havent seen it much lately, but it is something I would like to address:

What is the deal with people saying “halo: reach isnt halo” like for real, you may have seen the occasional troll, or maybe even someone who believes this, but seriously what causes people to think this?
Most people that say this, say it under the grounds that halo: reach’s default gameplay mechanics are too different from halo ce, 2, and 3 to be considered “a legitimate halo game”. Seriously guys?

I bought halo ce for the xbox in 2002 and I played halo 2 from about 2005 - 2007 as a casual. Then in 2007 I finally sprang for my own xbox 360 and a copy of Halo 3 which is when I really got into gaming, finally I preordered halo reach and I play pretty frequently. I also own halo 3: odst and halo wars but im trying to stay on the online multiplayer shooters.

However, the fact that people say “halo: reach is not a real halo game” does not surprise me in the least. For any memeber that has been on the bnet forums for any real length of time, knows that halo 2 was:
1st) praised vigorously during its pre release
2nd) was hyped to levels unknown during its release
3rd) as time cooled so did the hype
4th) CoD 4 hit and people said halo 2 was: “dead”, “boring”, “not fun” and begin switching to cod, (this took the cod franchise off the ground)
5th) halo 2 was flamed “bad game”, “WAY TO DIFFERENT FROM THE ORIGINAL”, “a step in the wrong direction”
6th) mlg took off with halo 2 (the rest is history)
7th) as the next halo game primed itself for release people began forgetting about halo: 2
8th) upon halo 3’s release halo 2 search times were ridiculous and the game was a wasteland (the reason my friend alex and I bought halo 3 and a system to play it on)
9th) as time passed and people began to flame halo 3; halo 2 was raised to god status
10th) halo 2 went down as a beloved game

Now lets look at a history of Halo 3:
1st) praised vigorously during its pre release
2nd) was hyped beyond levels unknown during its release (do the dew, believe, ect.)
3rd) as time cooled so did the hype
4th) CoD 6 hit and people said halo 3 was: “dead”, “boring”, “not fun” and continued switching to CoD
5th) halo 3 was flamed harder than hard with things like: “bad game”, “broken br spread”, “no hitscan”, “a step in the wrong direction”
6th) mlg continued to run halo 3 and halo 2 as some of its prime platforms
7th) as the next halo game primed itself for release people began forgetting about halo 3 and focusing on new things in halo reach
8th) upon halo reach’s halo 3 became a ghost town that was had ranked playlists littered with modders and DDOSers that bungie didnt care to stop
9th) as time passed and people began to flame halo reach and; halo 2 / halo 3 were raised to god status
10th) halo 3 went down as a great addition to the franchise and an epic game

Are we starting to notice a pattern?:

Halo reach:

1st) praised vigorously during its pre release (who else remembers seeing the “remember reach” trailer on youtube 100000 times?)
2nd) was hyped to levels unknown during its release (the line at my local gamestop was 2 blocks long and I was first in line)
3rd) as time cooled so did the hype
4th) CoD 7 hit and people said halo reach was: “dead”, “broken”, “not fun” and continued switching to blops
5th) halo reach was incinerated and called: “bad game”, “broken: AA, bleedthrough, campaign, ect”, “a step in the wrong direction”, “WAY TOO DIFFERENT FROM CE, 2, AND 3”
6th) mlg continued to use halo: reach / 3 as its main platform
7th) with TU changes came flaming and praising
8th) …

Im just wondering if I am the only one who sees this trend.

Halo is my favorite game and as long as its in good hands it always will be. While I do not agree reach is perfect by any means, it is still a wonderful halo game, and Ive had more lan parties playing halo reach than I did playing halo 3 (I had a whole bunch playing halo ce/2).

And for crying out loud to people that say “reach isnt halo”:
Halo wars is halo
Halo 3 odst is halo
how is a FPS with the sterotypes of gameplay and weapons that are classic to this franchise: not halo?

So to anyone reading this, whats your opinion on the games in the franchise? what did you like/not like? what do you think about my cycle of halo?

Also:
I promise you, that 1 year after halo 6’s release this is what the waypoint forums will read:
"OP 10/16/17 19:08:04;
[SICK OF STUPID EMP SPAWN KILLERS!!!]
ever since I bought this stupid broken game, ive been trampled by these little no lifers that use the dumb emp guns. Seriously every match of invasion and parasite that I play I get spawn killed by emp rifles, emp nades, or emp capture bombs!
Back in halo 5 you couldnt do that. In halo 4 you couldnt do that because GAMEPLAY WAS BALANCED.
I remember when I got halo reach for christmas in 2011 and IT PLAYED LIKE A DREAM.
Everyone remembers how precise the dmr was and the Magnum was a four shot kill that you had to FIGHT OVER BECAUSE IT WAS A PICK UP ON THE MAP. Unlike Halo 6 where you spawn with one and the damn thing is like a 9 shot kill!!!1!!
Halo 6 is broken, and im trading in my disk for BF5 tomorrow, screw you 343."

I’m just going to say, there wasn’t bloom as drastic on precision weapons in previous halo games, loadouts and abilities you spawn with from the start that negate the need to pick up anything other than weapons off the map.

Also, Reach will be held as a great halo game. I have no doubt about it. However, it will only be held so by those who enjoy it now. People aren’t going to change opinion simply because it becomes older.

just wait bud, after zero bloom hits reach will be the “most competitive halo to date”

its not about people complaining, its about the VALIDITY OF THEIR COMPLAINTS.

ive said that about a billion times in this forum, but its completely true.

sure halo reach is a ‘halo’ game (its got halo in the title, so it must be true! lol), but for the vast majority of the ‘competitive-minded’ people, it was a complete, and total letdown because it was catered to the opposite group of players. the game was catered to the people who, ironically enough, dont know how the mechanics work in the first place, and could care less about the mechanics to boot.

then you have armor lock, and jet pack, and no-bleed melees. and bloom letting the person who shoots worse, and improperly win against the person who shoots flawlessly -some- of the time.

the whole game leaves a lot to be desired. halo reach was the biggest gaming disappointment ive had in my entire life. im sure many feel the same way.

Pretty much.

> mlg continued to use halo: reach / 3 as its main platform

Nope.

Starcraft is its main platform now.

If you haven’t noticed, no one likes Halo 3 either. We could tolerate Halo 2 for it’s nostalgic memories of button combos and super jumps. Halo 3 simply dug deeper.

Halo Reach was where it fell apart. Reach is placed as 4th most played retail game, something that would outright horrify a Halo fan 6 years ago. Halo is no longer MLG’s flagship game. They were even considering to take Halo out of the circuit, and they probably would have if 343 didn’t do the right choice and let us take out bloom. Instead of whining about a specific part about a game mechanic (BR spread, plasma/pistol dual wield combo) we’re telling 343 to take whole mechanics out (bloom, AA’s). What started as a pothole graduated into a deep canyon of frustration and BS.

With MLG giving 343 a helping hand, Halo 4 is on the right track.

> just wait bud, after zero bloom hits reach will be the “most competitive halo to date”

Zero bloom alone without any RoF cap will help it on it’s way to such a title, but it won’t be there unless there is one and maybe a few other minor edits. At that point though it will play like a whole other halo game from Reach, so is it fair to claim that Reach would be such a thing when this competitive aspect takes second seat?

> > mlg continued to use halo: reach / 3 as its main platform
>
> Nope.
>
> Starcraft is its main platform now.
>
> If you haven’t noticed, no one likes Halo 3 either. We could tolerate Halo 2 for it’s nostalgic memories of button combos and super jumps. Halo 3 simply dug deeper.
>
> Halo Reach was where it fell apart. Reach is placed as 4th most played retail game, something that would outright horrify a Halo fan 6 years ago. Halo is no longer MLG’s flagship game. They were even considering to take Halo out of the circuit, and they probably would have if 343 didn’t do the right choice and let us take out bloom. Instead of whining about a specific part about a game mechanic (BR spread, plasma/pistol dual wield combo) we’re telling 343 to take whole mechanics out (bloom, AA’s). What started as a pothole graduated into a deep canyon of frustration and BS.

lol kid, check the halo waypoint “mlg team picks” that come on waypoint like 4 times a week.
Also, just because mlg is using starcraft as a main platform, HALO REACH IS THE MAIN FPS MLG PLATFORM.
period.

The trend you “see” is how it is with every game in the gaming industry, certainly popular ones. The same people who complain are those who don’t understand this concept, however those who complain about complaining (i.e., above) don’t understand that creating a thread about this will not alleviate the problem. Those who don’t understand will never understand; not everyone in the community can be perfectly happy.

I honor you for taking the time and effort to create such a post, however your efforts were but of waste.

I like Reach more than than Halo 3 purely for the fact that it caters for gamers like myself that are tired of getting owned all the time, I think bungie went in the right direction adding AAs that assist lower skilled players. games are to be fun when played not a nightmare filled with players that will always out-DMR you. okay, start the insults slash arguements to my statement.

> > > mlg continued to use halo: reach / 3 as its main platform
> >
> > Nope.
> >
> > Starcraft is its main platform now.
> >
> > If you haven’t noticed, no one likes Halo 3 either. We could tolerate Halo 2 for it’s nostalgic memories of button combos and super jumps. Halo 3 simply dug deeper.
> >
> > Halo Reach was where it fell apart. Reach is placed as 4th most played retail game, something that would outright horrify a Halo fan 6 years ago. Halo is no longer MLG’s flagship game. They were even considering to take Halo out of the circuit, and they probably would have if 343 didn’t do the right choice and let us take out bloom. Instead of whining about a specific part about a game mechanic (BR spread, plasma/pistol dual wield combo) we’re telling 343 to take whole mechanics out (bloom, AA’s). What started as a pothole graduated into a deep canyon of frustration and BS.
>
> lol kid, check the halo waypoint “mlg team picks” that come on waypoint like 4 times a week.
> Also, just because mlg is using starcraft as a main platform, HALO REACH IS THE MAIN FPS MLG PLATFORM.
> period.

Unfortunately, Halo is not the main FPS in MLG (CoD pulls more of a crowd), nor is it the most popular game currently on the circuit. I speak from experience, having attended numerous MLG events, Halo is indeed the least popular out of the three, with Starcraft II taking the top honors, followed by Black Ops. With the addition of GoW3 and LoL later this circuit and next year, Halo’s popularity will indeed decrease, however MLG will not be taking it out of its circuit, at least not for this season. Next season we’ll likely see Reach be out of the circuit, however it’s likely to return the following season with Halo 4. Reach’s future in MLG is in jeopardy, anyone that follows MLG could identify that. One of the hopes with the TU is to increase competitive gameplay throughout Reach. Also, since Halo was the game MLG built it’s foundation on, I would hope they choose not to remove it. Most recognizable pros in MLG have a basis in Halo.

> Also, just because mlg is using starcraft as a main platform, HALO REACH IS THE MAIN FPS MLG PLATFORM.
> period.

Nope.

Black Ops.

343 simply uploads whatever MLG allows them to. The Top Picks contribute nothing to the Cicuit: it’s simply there.

But if it has it’s own series, it must be the bestast gaems evar, rite?

@^
ok, have you been following 343’s latest posts. They have said they are working with MLG to make the TU gametypes, maps, and the Halo 4 gametypes and maps. What part of this would make you think that halo reach, will be removed from the MLG circuit in 2012? Halo reach’s TU is right around the corner, what part of this would make you think that Halo is being removed from MLG in 2012, and even if the TU wasnt coming at all. I firmly believe that halo reach would be a major platform in the MLG lineup.

> Nope.
>
> Black Ops.

lolCoD
even fans of the CoD franchise realize that halo requires more skill at a competitive level.
Even fans of CoD like mw2 more than blops.

> @^
> ok, have you been following 343’s latest posts. They have said they are working with MLG to make the TU gametypes, maps, and the Halo 4 gametypes and maps. What part of this would make you think that halo reach, will be removed from the MLG circuit in 2012? Halo reach’s TU is right around the corner, what part of this would make you think that Halo is being removed from MLG in 2012, and even if the TU wasnt coming at all. I firmly believe that halo reach would be a major platform in the MLG lineup.

Firstly, please provide proof that 343i is working with MLG to improve competitiveness. Not that you’re wrong, I’d just like to see proof that they’re actually doing what you say.

Secondly, if what you say is true, 343i can work with MLG all they want - it won’t matter if Halo doesn’t have a strong fanbase. I said it was unlikely that Reach would be taken out of the circuit in 2012, however it’s certainly a realistic possibility with the addition of GoW3 and MW3, possibly BF3 as well (although I highly doubt it). If Reach were to remain on the circuit, it would take a backseat to these two games, thus not making it a “major platform”. GoW3 and MW3 have far more popularity on the circuit, the only reason Reach would stay on the circuit are for these reasons:

  1. MLG’s most notable pros are from Halo,
  2. Halo was the game MLG created it’s foundation on,
  3. Halo already has a number of highly professional and national teams,
  4. Halo already has numerous big-name sponsors.

If you’ll notice, the spotlight has shifted from Halo to Starcraft II in the recent circuit, for SCII has a global audience; Reach does not. Like I said, 343i and work with Halo all they want, if they don’t increase the fanbase, there’s nothing they can do. Games on the MLG circuit are there solely on its competitive popularity, and unfortunately Reach’s is becoming less and less.

> @^
> ok, have you been following 343’s latest posts. They have said they are working with MLG to make the TU gametypes, maps, and the Halo 4 gametypes and maps.

Does that mean that Reach is now the best MLG game? No. Of the three circuits Halo Reach is the least popular. This is fact: anyone that is up-to-date with the circuits know this.

> What part of this would make you think that halo reach, will be removed from the MLG circuit in 2012?

A believe a certain CEO of the MLG pro circuit was debating whether or not to take Reach out of the circuit next season in a live stream some months ago. I don’t have the link, but I can remember his exact words: “Halo Reach is performing very poorly as of right now… Halo CE was the purest of the series, Halo 2 kind of muddled it, and Halo 3 just went even further.”

> I firmly believe that halo reach would be a major platform in the MLG lineup.

Like I said, if you followed MLG it’d be very apparent that Reach is currently the least popular circuit. Starcraft 2 blows away Reach in the stage, and Black Ops is not far behind. From what I heard LoL is going to be in the next season, and I think GoW will as well. It’s a no-brainer that Reach is not going to fare well at all. No bloom will greatly help, but it only does so much, and by next season it will be blown away from LoL and Starcraft.

> > @^
> > ok, have you been following 343’s latest posts. They have said they are working with MLG to make the TU gametypes, maps, and the Halo 4 gametypes and maps.
>
> Does that mean that Reach is now the best MLG game? No. Of the three circuits Halo Reach is the least popular. This is fact: anyone that is up-to-date with the circuits know this.
>
>
> > What part of this would make you think that halo reach, will be removed from the MLG circuit in 2012?
>
> A believe a certain CEO of the MLG pro circuit was debating whether or not to take Reach out of the circuit next season in a live stream some months ago. I don’t have the link, but I can remember his exact words: “Halo Reach is performing very poorly as of right now… Halo CE was the purest of the series, Halo 2 kind of muddled it, and Halo 3 just went even further.”
>
>
>
> > I firmly believe that halo reach would be a major platform in the MLG lineup.
>
> Like I said, if you followed MLG it’d be very apparent that Reach is currently the least popular circuit. Starcraft 2 blows away Reach in the stage, and Black Ops is not far behind. From what I heard LoL is going to be in the next season, and I think GoW will as well. It’s a no-brainer that Reach is not going to fare well at all. No bloom will greatly help, but it only does so much, and by next season it will be blown away from LoL and Starcraft.

For the love of god, someone give this man a cookie. I can tell that you follow the circuit, and you know what you’re talking about. Unfortunately for the guy we’re arguing with, he decides to talk before researching obvious facts.

For guys that “follow mlg” you guys havent read a lot of the halo stuff.

Halo 4:

Halo Reach TU:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/haloreach/show_msgs.php?pid=960512&topic_id=m-1-60047714

I dont really feel like looking up the 343 weekly post where they said this but I dont need to, if you want I think it was 8/31 or the week before.

> For guys that “follow mlg” you guys havent read a lot of the halo stuff.
>
> Halo 4:
> Watch the best in esports live - MLG
>
> Halo Reach TU:
> http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/haloreach/show_msgs.php?pid=960512&topic_id=m-1-60047714
>
>
> I dont really feel like looking up the 343 weekly post where they said this but I dont need to, if you want I think it was 8/31 or the week before.

By the way, since when did I say that MLG wasn’t working with 343 for Halo 4?

All I’m saying is that Halo Reach is doing terribly in the circuit. I never denied that 343 was working with MLG for Halo 4.