You can buy games at midnight launch w/o pre-order

When was the last time anyone has gone to a store and couldn’t find a copy of a game they wanted?
Now there’s online marketplace if that were to even somehow happen anyway.

CANCEL YOUR PRE-ORDERS!
And never do it again. I am an ex-manager of the second highest volume GameStop in America.
The pre-order bonuses will never affect actual gameplay and are always attainable.
You can pre-order a game 5 minutes before it comes out.
The last time we had to close out pre-orders on a standard edition of any game was before 2007.
Collectors editions may be the one and only exclusion.

Do yourselves and the rest of us a favor and please stop paying publishers back their investments before the game is even complete
or you will continue to see more and more releases like this fall season has been full of.

I can’t remember the last time I ever pre-ordered. Shops always have the games stocked.

Halo 2 was the last time I even considered not finding a copy of a game a possibility.

Yeah I rarely pre-order games (although this one i pre-ordered the week before for the $15 XBL points, warthog license plate cover and Master Chief car decal). Unless it is a niche game that has a Limited/Collector’s edition I will usually wait to purchase it.

> 2773868877646226;2:
> I can’t remember the last time I ever pre-ordered. Shops always have the games stocked.

Yes. Please spread the word whenever you can. I always do. People don’t really know this. I make a firm point by never doing it because it is directly damaging the industry.

People should seriously bump this thread as hard as they can considering how many millions of people are visiting this forum per day during the brokenness of HMCC

The only game I ever pre-ordered was halo 3. I swiftly learned that freezing in the cold in a line waiting for a game simply isn’t worth it. It lets me be an informed consumer who can actually judge a product on more than its pre-launch hype.

Because of this, while I am dismayed at just how bad certain aspects of the launch have gone, I have not yet purchased the game and can sit calmly and wait for news of its improvement, rather than raging like a 7 year old.

I think the culture of pre-ordering has ultimately led to a lot of the problems with modern games. A game can be a success before its even popped into the common man’s machine. Everyone is stirred up in a frenzy of marketing and hype, and then when the game isn’t the Second Coming every expects, they rage about it all. At that point however, most people will not return it, and just hold onto it and be upset.

Pre-order’s dont attribute to launch day disasters, its the publisher setting release dates that the developers can’t match…

FYI almost every AAA title in the last two years has been a financial success before it even went gold (printing the master disc for reproduction).

> 2533274892441899;8:
> Pre-order’s dont attribute to launch day disasters, its the publisher setting release dates that the developers can’t match…

Release dates get pushed back for fear of failure. No fear of failure if there’s a juicy check dangling from the olive vine that’s already large enough to return their investment.

> 2776549591710208;10:
> > 2533274892441899;8:
> > Pre-order’s dont attribute to launch day disasters, its the publisher setting release dates that the developers can’t match…
>
>
>
> Release dates get pushed back for fear of failure. No fear of failure if there’s a juicy check dangling from the olive vine that’s already large enough to return their investment.

And I say all of this, fully understanding that it’s the publishers who are at fault with this crisis in the gaming industry.

> 2776549591710208;11:
> > 2776549591710208;10:
> > > 2533274892441899;8:
> > > Pre-order’s dont attribute to launch day disasters, its the publisher setting release dates that the developers can’t match…
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Release dates get pushed back for fear of failure. No fear of failure if there’s a juicy check dangling from the olive vine that’s already large enough to return their investment.
>
>
>
> And I say all of this, fully understanding that it’s the publishers who are at fault with this crisis in the gaming industry.

I’d say its both sides. They aren’t forcing people to buy immediately instead of later. They merely incentivize it.

> 2533274892441899;8:
> Pre-order’s dont attribute to launch day disasters, its the publisher setting release dates that the developers can’t match…

It depends. Servers overloading is generally a pre-order or at least first day purchase problem. Servers get overloaded because most of the time the servers are taking far more load than they likely will ever again. Buying the servers to handle that much load for about 2 days often isn’t financially worth it.

Of course, but I meant in regards to the devs. The publishers are the ones who will take all the pre-order info and calculate their decisions based on them.
It’s up to us consumers to grow up and stop the childish spending behaviors with pre-ordering for absolutely no reason. The small incentives they give are never going to change your gameplay. Cosmetic mods at best. Not worth it. You’re selling out the gaming industry for a sticker when pre-ordering.

> 2533274964189700;13:
> > 2533274892441899;8:
> > Pre-order’s dont attribute to launch day disasters, its the publisher setting release dates that the developers can’t match…
>
>
> It depends. Servers overloading is generally a pre-order or at least first day purchase problem. Servers get overloaded because most of the time the servers are taking far more load than they likely will ever again. Buying the servers to handle that much load for about 2 days often isn’t financially worth it.

Definitely wasn’t servers this time lol. The game’s code is not complete at all. It’s not even technically MS certified. MS just allowed it through for -Yoink!-.

> 2776549591710208;15:
> > 2533274964189700;13:
> > > 2533274892441899;8:
> > > Pre-order’s dont attribute to launch day disasters, its the publisher setting release dates that the developers can’t match…
> >
> >
> >
> > It depends. Servers overloading is generally a pre-order or at least first day purchase problem. Servers get overloaded because most of the time the servers are taking far more load than they likely will ever again. Buying the servers to handle that much load for about 2 days often isn’t financially worth it.
>
>
> Definitely wasn’t servers this time lol. The game’s code is not complete at all. It’s not even technically MS certified. MS just allowed it through for -Yoink!-.

It didn’t help that they had 3 different studios doing everything for this, that’s where the netcode was messed up…