Yoinking was a mistake

Bungie made a horrible mistake by including the ability to yoink when they added assassinations to Reach. A mistake that 343 hasn’t made any moves to rectify other than removing the Yoink medal (why you would ever reward yoinking is beyond me). If there is one thing 343 learns from Titanfall 2 I hope it’s that it’s fully possible to allow enemies to attempt to save a teammate being Assassinated (the player is vulnerable to enemy fire) while protecting the one performing the move from buzzkill teammates (the victim is invulnerable to the Assassin’s team).

I think your proposed system makes it too easy to save the victim. If the victim is invulnerable during an assassination, just throw caution to the wind and shoot a rocket at them, or throw a grenade, or run them over, or any other possible method that would normally include a betrayal.

People stealing your kill during an assassination is annoying, but I don’t think your idea (which has been brought up many times before) is the right way to address the issue.

I believe that this can be a problem. Say we have a BTB map and your teammate is about to get assassinated. We might have a problem where you can ram the enemy with a warthog and send your teammate flying away to the other side of the map, or even out of the map. Another example is similar to the nade boosts in Halo CE where grabbing an overshield gives you invincibility frames and you abuse a massive stack of nades to send you into the air, you abuse the invincibility to send your teammate out of the map and there’s a recipie for disaster.

Besides, people yoinking my assassination has saved my life before. I’ve been in an animation and my teammate yoinked the kill as I was being shot by two others.

I just don’t see any issue with Yoinking. Bungie was known to make screwy medals. Hell, they even made the Steak Dinner medal. I think they just added the Yoink medal for laughs.

From a strategic standpoint though, making the assassinated player invulnerable isn’t fair. The player being assassinated is at fault simply because (assuming the gamemode has a radar) failed to keep an eye on his radar. They are being punished for their failure.

Some could argue that the enemy could have been crouch-hiding, but that still brings up the fact that the player should have been more aware of their surroundings and should have anticipated such strategies beforehand.

Now there is that slight, very tiny window of opportunity for a teammate to save their assassinated teammates, which is the minuscule time where the player assassinating hasn’t landed the killing blow yet. Using Halo Reach as an example, this would be the time the knife is drawn to the time the knife is implanted in the assassinated. Even though it’s a small window of opportunity, there is one present to begin with.

Overall, I don’t mind yoinks. I don’t purposely go out of my way to get yoinks, but if there is a time where I need to do it for the sake of victory, I’m going to do it.

You also have the option of using an assassination with a faster time-to-kill. As with any slay, different weapons/methods carry different risks and difficulties. Just because a player with a sword works their way diligently up behind an enemy doesn’t disqualify a teammate with a sniper rifle from using their weapon as well.

I dont see the problem with yoinks, halo is a chaotic game in general. Wheather by acident or on purpose, i think the act and medal of yoink in general, belongs in halo. It needs to stay, right next to other silly medals, like hail marry and flag joust. Back in reach it was fun to yoink, it added another layer of gameplay, fun and silliness when playing with friends. And it was also really amusing to get a yoink by acident, or cross map.

I don’t think he means having the assassinated player completely invincible, only invincible to the team of the player who is performing the assassination. An additional proposal would be to be that if the assassinated player dies during the animation, no matter who shot him, the kill and assassination should go to the one performing the animation.

Yeah, yoinking was a mistake. As you said, TF2 did it SO well. Except for a few animation glitches, but that’s just nitpicking.

i kinda agree, stealing an assassination kill is a little too easy bcs the victim loses their shields halfway through the animation and a bystander teammate can just take the headshot. the entire assassination mechanic as a whole is a little wonky.

> 2533274827215546;7:
> I don’t think he means having the assassinated player completely invincible, only invincible to the team of the player who is performing the assassination. An additional proposal would be to be that if the assassinated player dies during the animation, no matter who shot him, the kill and assassination should go to the one performing the animation.

I love this idea, I think this would resolve all of the problems I have with yoinking. A lot of people like it because it gives teammates the chance to bail someone performing an assassination from a bad situation, this method keeps that functionality and fixes the problem of people on the victim’s team being able to lob in grenades willy nilly because the victim is invincible. But at the same time gets rid of any reward in the form of a kill steal.

I hate yoinking more than lag, glitch spots out of map,and clan kids I have unfriended and blocked so many people for yoinking me it’s ok to save a teammate but when your teammate steals your assassination I become induced with rage I’ve already blocked my brother and have only messaged him and talked to him outside of video games we don’t play or join party’s together. I’ve told everyone who has become friends with me not to mess with my assassinations I got him back later though😈

You guys are missing a key factor. FFA I love to steal my enemies assassinations as than I get an extra kill and they don’t, than I can kill the person doing the assassination. Teamwork wise, it helps more killing a lot quicker for your team. And quick kills are better than slow kills. Don’t get me wrong the humiliating tactics of assassinating an enemy in front of people to show that you have map control can get into your opponents heads.

> 2535415472426404;11:
> I hate yoinking more than lag, glitch spots out of map,and clan kids I have unfriended and blocked so many people for yoinking me it’s ok to save a teammate but when your teammate steals your assassination I become induced with rage I’ve already blocked my brother and have only messaged him and talked to him outside of video games we don’t play or join party’s together. I’ve told everyone who has become friends with me not to mess with my assassinations I got him back later though😈

Wow, you’re one of those kids that reports someone for yoinking you? how low can society get?

I think yoinking is funny

> 2533274888753908;13:
> > 2535415472426404;11:
> > I hate yoinking more than lag, glitch spots out of map,and clan kids I have unfriended and blocked so many people for yoinking me it’s ok to save a teammate but when your teammate steals your assassination I become induced with rage I’ve already blocked my brother and have only messaged him and talked to him outside of video games we don’t play or join party’s together. I’ve told everyone who has become friends with me not to mess with my assassinations I got him back later though😈
>
> Wow, you’re one of those kids that reports someone for yoinking you? how low can society get?

It was a joke but… Ok I do hate yoinking but I don’t get as mad as I was describing. People can’t take jokes anymore how low can society get?

> 2535415472426404;15:
> > 2533274888753908;13:
> > > 2535415472426404;11:
> > > I hate yoinking more than lag, glitch spots out of map,and clan kids I have unfriended and blocked so many people for yoinking me it’s ok to save a teammate but when your teammate steals your assassination I become induced with rage I’ve already blocked my brother and have only messaged him and talked to him outside of video games we don’t play or join party’s together. I’ve told everyone who has become friends with me not to mess with my assassinations I got him back later though😈
> >
> > Wow, you’re one of those kids that reports someone for yoinking you? how low can society get?
>
> It was a joke but… Ok I do hate yoinking but I don’t get as mad as I was describing. People can’t take jokes anymore how low can society get?

Meh, I just have -Yoink- memories. I got a lot of people reporting me for yoinking tbh

> 2533274817408735;2:
> I think your proposed system makes it too easy to save the victim. If the victim is invulnerable during an assassination, just throw caution to the wind and shoot a rocket at them, or throw a grenade, or run them over, or any other possible method that would normally include a betrayal.
>
> People stealing your kill during an assassination is annoying, but I don’t think your idea (which has been brought up many times before) is the right way to address the issue.

I don’t agree with his idea either, it should simply be if a teammate yoinks it, you get credit for a melee kill and they get the yoink medal, resulting in no gameplay change while maintaining some people’s lust for kill counts.

(Say I assassinate a guy, my teammate shoots him, I get credit for a melee kill and my teammate receives the yoink medal, no negatives for either party)