Yet another theory

I couldn’t copy the direct link, kept sending me to the youtube app, but it’s the one titled “Cortana-Human”

Link

Dude has some valid points here.

Hate this theory with everything I’ve got. Without even getting into the fact that it would completely ruin Halo 4’s ending to have Cortana return, this is just bad IMO. What next? Jon and Cortana get married and have kids and disappear into the sunset? It’s would be a lame plot device, and I’m sure 343i can do better.

I’m all for Cortana returning, but not as a human. That’s trespassing into corny territory.

I agree with it going against the ending of 4, and this could be BS. There are lots of evidence of lots of theories. If they did go this route, I would hope it would be along the lines of the ending cutscene of 6, Cortana finally back, she hugs John (mask off) Game over. But again, I’m not exactly hoping for this.

> Hate this theory with everything I’ve got. Without even getting into the fact that it would completely ruin Halo 4’s ending to have Cortana return, this is just bad IMO. What next? Jon and Cortana get married and have kids and disappear into the sunset? It’s would be a lame plot device, and I’m sure 343i can do better.

I’m not sure how exactly it ruins the ending, especially if Cortana ends up being the antagonist.

The whole story arc in Halo 4 was probing Chief’s humanity and connection with Cortana. You could argue that killing Cortana ruined Halo 4 more than bringing her back would undermine the ending, as the emotional impact it had on Chief would still be very real.

If that translates into his motivation for Halo 5 and the trauma defines his personality… then in what way did her “death” not do its job?

Its science fiction. They aren’t dead till you see the body… which she conveniently doesn’t (didn’t?) have.

> I’m all for Cortana returning, but not as a human. That’s trespassing into corny territory.

I tentatively agree. You would REALLY have to earn that route for it not to feel cheap.

I really do think that the flood will return and a rampant Cortana will be trying to enforce containment protocol. Chief has to stop her while trying to save her (the saving part would be why he is at odds with the UNSC).

> > Hate this theory with everything I’ve got. Without even getting into the fact that it would completely ruin Halo 4’s ending to have Cortana return, this is just bad IMO. What next? Jon and Cortana get married and have kids and disappear into the sunset? It’s would be a lame plot device, and I’m sure 343i can do better.
>
> I’m not sure how exactly it ruins the ending, especially if Cortana ends up being the antagonist.
>
> The whole story arc in Halo 4 was probing Chief’s humanity and connection with Cortana. You could argue that killing Cortana ruined Halo 4 more than bringing her back would undermine the ending, as the emotional impact it had on Chief would still be very real.
>
> If that translates into his motivation for Halo 5 and the trauma defines his personality… then in what way did her “death” not do its job?
>
> Its science fiction. They aren’t dead till you see the body… which she conveniently doesn’t (didn’t?) have.

I won’t like it if Cortana returns, but I would live with it. Your suggestion about her becoming an enemy kind of softens the blow, but I guess I just always hated fake deaths. Why kill her off if she’s going to come back anyway? And it’s especially relevant in Halo 4, as her death was powerful and written really well. It’s a shame to make a powerful ending less powerful only to create a cheap continuation that proves you truly don’t have the guys to kill off main characters and making the obvious character armor even more obvious. Still, I’d live.

That said, the moment Cortana becomes human is the moment I call quits on Halo’s story, and this is coming from someone who actually likes Karen Travis’s’ novels. The chances that they would manage to do that without becoming the biggest cliche ending the gaming industry has ever seen are infinitesimal.

> It’s a shame to make a powerful ending less powerful only to create a cheap continuation

Oh, of course. But if you show Chief’s trauma and dedication, his inability to move on. His humanity and ultimately his relief at the end of a well grounded story line with clear motivations and character development… then bringing back a beloved character becomes not cheap but instead moving and rewarding in its own right.

With the focus on the composer, digital storage, and the theme of not just Chief but also Cortana’s humanity, I believe they have laid the ground work to write her back into the story in a way that is earned.

> > It’s a shame to make a powerful ending less powerful only to create a cheap continuation
>
> Oh, of course. But if you show Chief’s trauma and dedication, his inability to move on. His humanity and ultimately his relief at the end of a well grounded story line with clear motivations and character development… then bringing back a beloved character becomes not cheap but instead moving and rewarding in its own right.
>
> With the focus on the composer, digital storage, and the theme of not just Chief but also Cortana’s humanity, I believe they have laid the ground work to write her back into the story in a way that is earned.

Valid points. Used to be die hard at her NOT coming back at all, but I’m accepting this alternative.

Not only no, but hell no. The only reason to bring Cortana back as a human is to give Chief a love interest and Halo SUCKS at romance. The game said she died, the Halo 4 Essential Visual Guide says she died, that is pretty clear as far as I’m concerned. 343i could be lying, but then again they’ve been ambiguous about the Ur-Didact’s fate and we saw a grenade explode in his chest and him fall off a giant chasm.

Also, with Cortana gone, doesn’t the introduction of Halsey into the Reclaimer Saga make sense now in retrospect?

> Not only no, but hell no. The only reason to bring Cortana back as a human is to give Chief a love interest and Halo SUCKS at romance. The game said she died, the Halo 4 Essential Visual Guide says she died, that is pretty clear as far as I’m concerned. 343i could be lying, but then again they’ve been ambiguous about the Ur-Didact’s fate and we saw a grenade explode in his chest and him fall off a giant chasm.
>
> Also, with Cortana gone, doesn’t the introduction of Halsey into the Reclaimer Saga make sense now in retrospect?

Or Halsey AND Cortana could be in the Reclaimer Saga. And it’s very possible that 343 simply wants us to think she’s dead. Yes, she is labeled as dead in the official source material, because as far as we know, and as far as 343 wants us to know, she is. But no, she’d better not come back as a human. That has “corny” written all over it.

> Or Halsey AND Cortana could be in the Reclaimer Saga. And it’s very possible that 343 simply wants us to think she’s dead. Yes, she is labeled as dead in the official source material, because as far as we know, and as far as 343 wants us to know, she is. But no, she’d better not come back as a human. That has “corny” written all over it.

Or she’s dead. Like I said, why not have her fate be ambiguous? People still don’t want to accept that Jorge and Noble Six died besides them being declared dead already either. The Didact was never confirmed dead, why put his fate up in the air yet spend so much effort making Cortana dead? Otherwise, they are just lying and cheapening their own story.

> > Or Halsey AND Cortana could be in the Reclaimer Saga. And it’s very possible that 343 simply wants us to think she’s dead. Yes, she is labeled as dead in the official source material, because as far as we know, and as far as 343 wants us to know, she is. But no, she’d better not come back as a human. That has “corny” written all over it.
>
> Or she’s dead. Like I said, why not have her fate be ambiguous? People still don’t want to accept that Jorge and Noble Six died besides them being declared dead already either. The Didact was never confirmed dead, why put his fate up in the air yet spend so much effort making Cortana dead? Otherwise, they are just lying and cheapening their own story.

We’ll agree to disagree.

> > Or Halsey AND Cortana could be in the Reclaimer Saga. And it’s very possible that 343 simply wants us to think she’s dead. Yes, she is labeled as dead in the official source material, because as far as we know, and as far as 343 wants us to know, she is. But no, she’d better not come back as a human. That has “corny” written all over it.
>
> Or she’s dead. Like I said, why not have her fate be ambiguous? People still don’t want to accept that Jorge and Noble Six died besides them being declared dead already either. The Didact was never confirmed dead, why put his fate up in the air yet spend so much effort making Cortana dead? Otherwise, they are just lying and cheapening their own story.

I agree with your points, but I still don’t get how people think Jorge is alive.

I agree with RavensHal0 and halojunky117G on this one.

I don’t see how Cortana’s return would take away from Halo 4’s ending. To me, that’s similar to saying that Halo 2 and 3 ruined Combat Evolved, because Halo is no longer the mystery that it was originally.

That powerful story telling is still there and still has an impact in my opinion, and I think the Halo 4 ending would be no different.

And just to clarify, sci fi resurrections are corny a lot of the time and entirely overdone.

I’m just saying that they have laid the groundwork to <mark>do it well</mark>, which is a huge key.

> I agree with RavensHal0 and halojunky117G on this one.
>
> <mark>I don’t see how Cortana’s return would take away from Halo 4’s ending. To me, that’s similar to saying that Halo 2 and 3 ruined Combat Evolved, because Halo is no longer the mystery that it was originally.</mark>
>
> That powerful story telling is still there and still has an impact in my opinion, and I think the Halo 4 ending would be no different.

I don’t follow. Finding out information about the Halos, or the Halo story in general, is just natural plot progression. Killing off a major character so another major character can evolve and try to figure out what it means to be human and carry on after a huge loss isn’t similar and bringing back said character cheapens the impact of the ending.

> > I agree with RavensHal0 and halojunky117G on this one.
> >
> > <mark>I don’t see how Cortana’s return would take away from Halo 4’s ending. To me, that’s similar to saying that Halo 2 and 3 ruined Combat Evolved, because Halo is no longer the mystery that it was originally.</mark>
> >
> > That powerful story telling is still there and still has an impact in my opinion, and I think the Halo 4 ending would be no different.
>
> I don’t follow. Finding out information about the Halos, or the Halo story in general, is just natural plot progression. Killing off a major character so another major character can evolve and try to figure out what it means to be human and carry on after a huge loss isn’t similar and bringing back said character cheapens the impact of the ending.

In the period between Cortana’s death and speculated resurrection, John would still have to struggle with dealing with his humanity. So her revival wouldn’t cheapen the story, unless of course it’s done in a really cheesy way. If Cortana is to live again, it has to be done smart.

> Intheperiod between Cortana’s death and speculated resurrection, John would still have to struggle with dealing with his humanity. So her revival wouldn’t cheep the story, unless of course it’s done in a really cheesy way. If Cortana is to live again, it has to be done smart.

How could her just magically coming back not cheapen the story? If she knew she was going to survive, she wouldn’t need to act as if she was never going to see Chief again. It would all be meaningless.

Can you not have her “death” be fully experienced in a scenario where she is eventually brought back? Chief has to process the grief and guilt. But in his despair he isn’t able to let go of Cortana even if he has let go of hope. Then you can shift the emphasis when he stumbles on a glimmer of hope.

All of a sudden you have managed to fully explore the impact that losing Cortana has on Chief and then examine the complexities that arise when there is hope in the desert… especially if Cortana is the antagonist as I am hoping. Can he save her? Will he have to destroy her? Will he save her only to experience losing her a second time?

You’re 100% right. Bring her back for fan service would be lame. If its well done you’re actually getting more emotional mileage out of her death than if you just leave her dead imo.