Yes, Spartan Ops =/= Firefight

I don’t understand how people didn’t see this coming. They announced this game mode MONTHS ago and they clearly stated it would replace Firefight.

I had a strong sense that, after the announcement of Halo 4, Firefight would not make a comeback. It seemed unlikely considering (if you hadn’t read any of the latest books) that the Covenant was toast. A series of new enemies would be created, thus even with the implementation of Firefight it wouldn’t come off quite the same if there weren’t any Covies.

Yet the Covenant does return in Halo 4 (albeit much weaker and pitiful looking). It would have been plausible to bring Firefight back, but I’ve come to realize that 343 Industries main focus has been story, story, STORY. Story-driven campaign (obviously), now story-driven multiplayer (why the reds and blues fight each other), and story-driven co-op play aka Spartan Ops.

Firefight would not fit their goal of telling their story of Master Chief and Cortana post-Halo 3 and that’s why it doesn’t exist in H4 and most likely won’t exist in the next two iterations of the Halo franchise.

Sadly, this is why I foresee 343 Industries failing to match or exceed Bungie’s ability to make great Halo games. IMO, the Halo game series should have ended at Halo: Reach, but Microsoft will likely run Halo into the ground the same way Activision ran Guitar Hero into the ground and will likely do the same with the Call of Duty series within the next few years.

Man, with all that focus on storyline one would think the story would be awesome…but it isnt. Maybe that’s why everything else isnt connecting that well either.

i do like the story aspect of Spartan Ops. gameplay-wise spartan ops just seems like rehashed campaign missions. didn’t like how episode 2 was just episode 1 in reverse basically.

is it better than firefight? It could be if the story turns out good, but as of right now ODST FF > Spartans Ops > Reach FF

I can agree that they could throw in a little more as far as gameplay goes, but i’m enjoying spartan ops right now. The story is keeping me entertained and its fun to play with randoms online.

Bungie made an attempt at story (odst) and the community hated it.

Now they love it.

Bungie messed up the lore of halo more than once. 343 had to fix it. (Books and mini vids on waypoint.)

There’s a reason why these “covenant” look the way they do. If you played halo 2/3 you could see why. If you read the books too then you know why.

Spartan ops is and is not ff. ff got boring due to what the community wanted. Unlimited lives and explosives nearly every game. If you think about it ff had a story. You are Spartans fighting on reach and a hopeless battle. Odst was you are odst’s (forget the squad name) fighting on earth and defending while mc does his thing.

Now the red vs blue thing…, ok it’s training… Well rvb pretty much stated this in season 1. It’s all training.

How can story and explanations for the things you do in the game be evil and unwanted? I mean Solo play requires a good story so how is that bad?

> Bungie messed up the lore of halo more than once. 343 had to fix it. (Books and mini vids on waypoint.)

How did Bungie mess up the lore? Other than Reach, the Halo lore was consistent. Besides, Bungie had little/no control over the book writers, so they had to re-write the story of Reach to make it come full circle with Halo:CE. We wouldn’t have cared about what Noble team did if it didn’t have any correlation with Cortana and the Master Chief at the end.

> There’s a reason why these “covenant” look the way they do. If you played halo 2/3 you could see why. If you read the books too then you know why.

I’m well aware of why the Covenant look the way they do. Excuse me for stating the obvious.

> Spartan ops is and is not ff. ff got boring due to what the community wanted. Unlimited lives and explosives nearly every game.

You’re just talking about matchmaking. Get 3 friends and play with custom Firefight and then try to tell me it’s boring. Most times I’ll play custom Firefight by myself and I’ll have a blast with it!

> If you think about it ff had a story. You are Spartans fighting on reach and a hopeless battle. Odst was you are odst’s (forget the squad name) fighting on earth and defending while mc does his thing.

Oh, really? I must of missed the story part. I thought it was mindless fun, just simply surviving wave after wave of Covenant enemies with friends until you ran out of lives.

> How can story and explanations for the things you do in the game be evil and unwanted? I mean Solo play requires a good story so how is that bad?

I never claimed story was evil and unwanted. I’m saying 343 Industries put so much focus on story-telling that they forgot some important, gameplay fundamentals that made a Halo game a Halo game.

we need firefight in halo 4. i don’t care if it doesn’t make sense with the campaign. put it in so we can have fun, experiment, enjoy, laugh, take snap shots, make movies, share playbacks to our friends and youtube, and it’ll prolonge the playability of halo 4.

I have a feeling they are going to the same with rest of the seasons. Epi. 3&4, 5&6, etc, etc…

We all will have the, run it forwards backwards routine. This in turn, will drive already bored players away and then there wont be a season two, sad really, if the would have used different parts of the campaign for every mission that would have been awesome, but when you subcontract that out to a different dev, and tell them they have six months to complete it, then you get what we got.

Meanwhile back at microsoft they did all the cut scenes. They hyped it up to be better than firefight. I was expecting to be fighting 1000’s of enemies, instead no map has more than one hundred at a time. I dont really care for the heavy ODST forced gameplay. They tried that in Reach with limited and it failed, took it out and because 10 people screamed for it on the forums, brought it back to only watched never get picked over arcadefight, reason being, it was boring.

Starting with power weapons is fun, lets get right down to it. Some people love just blowing stuff up. If you want to start with a bullet driven weapon, play MP. I have a feeling the community influence played a part. The gamemode could have been fantasic if they took everything from arcadefight and set it to the spartan ops terrains.

Think about that, it would have been awesome. I am not sure about the longevity of it, unless its gets some major rehauls. Example, let me buy a FRG or a Incineration Cannon, but you never know, i guess we will have to wait and see.