"Yep, Halo is now CoD!"

And here is my reply to that:

> Posted by: PharoahPelican
>
> I have two bowls of ice cream. One is vanilla and the other chocolate with sprinkles. If I take some of the sprinkles from the chocolate bowl and put them on the vanilla ice cream, does that make both bowls chocolate with sprinkles? Or are the still chocolate and vanilla but with the same sprinkles?
>
> That is what Halo 4 is to CoD. At the core, it’s Halo. At the core, CoD is CoD. The sprinkles in the forms of custom loadouts, etc. won’t change the core flavor.

This was post was so great that I had to post it here. This guy was replying to someone that was ranting about Halo being CoD 'cause it has a couple similarities.

P.S. here’s the guy he was ranting to:

> Posted by: velvet_hammer
>
> So after looking at all these changes especially the MP ones I’m more than a little worried… A gaming giant like Halo even folds into the CoD wannabe tripe? I thought this thing sold enough ffs, what is this… People like and want halo for halo… This reminds me of Sony and Zipper killing Socom4 with it being Codized… Zipper is shut down and Socom is rip…
>
>
> /rant

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632877-halo-4/64448290

[deleted]

What?

> Thought it was going to be another hate thread. :smiley:

haha that’s why I put the title in quotations. :smiley:

I want some ice cream with sprinkles now.

It’s true though despite taking ideas from that gaming series that Halo 4 is still Halo (many times above Reach IMO). It’s not as if more than half the industry does that all ready with staples like tower defense, horde mode, Co-op Campaign, progression systems etc.

If you want an innovating shooter, try Dust 514 and stop expecting to reinvent the wheel every release. I think that as far as console shooters go, it’s as about as good as it gets now. The era of refinement rather than innovation IMO.

I want some ice cream with sprinkles now.

It’s true though despite taking ideas from that gaming series that Halo 4 is still Halo (many times above Reach IMO). It’s not as if more than half the industry does that all ready with staples like tower defense, horde mode, Co-op Campaign, progression systems etc.

If you want an innovating shooter, keep your eye on Dust 514. I think that as far as Halo is concerned, it’s as about as good as it gets now. The era of refinement rather than innovation IMO.

Far as i know, Halo has always required skill to win games, cod you camp you get killstreaks and baaam! game won…

That was a really good way to put it. Thanks for the positive thread, it’s nice to see this among the other crap.

There was a thread earlier about all the changes to Halo just an evolution of concepts from Halo:Reach and previous games.

Custom Loadouts are just an evolution of Halo:Reach’s attempt to involve some player preference into the game.

Modifications are just an evolution of Halo:Reach’s armour abilities.

Situation Records are just an evolution of theatre mode.

In reality, a lot of these things that were “Changed” can easily be said as being an evolution of past concepts. Where else could loadouts have gone if not giving more player choice by allowing you to chose your weapons?

> If you want an innovating shooter, keep your eye on Dust 514. I think that as far as Halo is concerned, it’s as about as good as it gets now. <mark>The era of refinement rather than innovation IMO.</mark>

Agreed, for multiple reasons.
Firstly because we’re at the end of a console cycle. And with consoles being the leading platforms for devs right now, it is hard to do things that truely are new. Simply because of hardware limitations.

Secondly: mainstream gaming has become HUGE this generation. Before this gen. the biggest pockets of mainstream gamers were found in GTA…but now that focus has shifted to CoD. And sadly, that demographic also generates most sales. If devs want their games to sell, they need to submit to expectations and demands of the mainstream gamer.
Trying anything radically different is WAAAAAAY too risky at this moment.

Thirdly: the shooter genre has hit a dead end in terms of where it can go in this form.
In the 90’s we had corridor shooters, early 2000’s gave us Halo which opened up for more open level design and vehicles (also courtesty to Battlefield around that time), second half 2000’s sadly went back to corridor shooters with the sense of open worlds (CoD).
Sandbox shooters like FarCry aren’t the future either.
I strongly believe the next step in FPS evolution can only be taken when a big franchise (like Halo or Battlefield) takes steps in the MMOFPS genre. That genre is largely unexplored and can be defined from “scratch”. Until that happens, it is indeed a matter of refinement and small, but insignificant, steps forward.

> There was a thread earlier about all the changes to Halo just an evolution of concepts from Halo:Reach and previous games.
>
> Custom Loadouts are just an evolution of Halo:Reach’s attempt to involve some player preference into the game.
>
> Modifications are just an evolution of Halo:Reach’s armour abilities.
>
> Situation Records are just an evolution of theatre mode.
>
> In reality, a lot of these things that were “Changed” can easily be said as being an evolution of past concepts. Where else could loadouts have gone if not giving more player choice by allowing you to chose your weapons?

:slight_smile: that was my threat

here it is