Yearly Halo. Thoughts?

I guess I’ll get straight to the point; I was playing Halo 3:ODST today and it got me wondering what people thought of the idea of having a new Halo game each year?

Before people panic, I should say I don’t mean that I want 343i to rush their games. there should be two development teams. 343i should continue to work on the main games ie The Reclaimer Trilogy. 343i should take their time developing those games. I think while 343i are developing these another studio should work on a spin off type game that explores another aspect of the vast Halo universe.

I do see multiplayer being a problem though. It would be silly to split the fan base between two games so I see an ODST style system happening where they give the Halo 4 multiplayer with all of the DLC with the spinoff game.

So what do you guys think? Have you any ideas of what any spinoff games could be about?

To be honest they have been on a yearly release since Halo 3 ODST.

ODST: 2009
Halo Reach: 2010
Halo Anniversary: 2011
Halo 4: 2012

Halo 2 Remastered Edition: 2013 This is not confirmed in any way that I am aware of but I am hoping. I do expect something to be announced this June at E3.

As much as I’d like it, the quality of everything would go down unless they use side story Halos to fill in the gap for the next main Reclaimer Trilogy release. But, if they released a numbered Halo every year, you’d see a drop in quality in music, level design, story design, gameplay, game modes, everything. Just look at ODST and Reach, they weren’t as rich and wonderful as the Halo Trilogy in terms of quality (I still thought ODST was amazing though, but that’s just me).

Halo 2: Anniversary would be on 2014 and no earlier if it were truly to be an Anniversary game.

That said, I am against yearly releases. The problem isn’t the quality of the games. It’s the lack of excitement, hype, and feel of something new. Each Halo game deserves its own lifespan and the community -needs- a reason to be excited, to come back.

I for one would love yearly Halo story-arc stuff, but I’d never let my love get in the way of basic gaming marketing. Yearly releases is just a quick way to kill a series. It’s not the quality, again I’ll say this: it’s the stigma of yearly releases simply dragging down on the community. We’re already, as someone pointed out above, getting too many Halo games in too short a time (though it really does help that CE:A was just that- a pretty remake).

I for one am against it on basis that Halo needs to keep up a tri-year release schedule for its main title games if it’s going to outlast its yearly and biyearly competition.

> As much as I’d like it, the quality of everything would go down unless <mark>they use side story Halos to fill in the gap for the next main Reclaimer Trilogy release</mark>. But, if they released a numbered Halo every year, you’d see a drop in quality in music, level design, story design, gameplay, game modes, everything. Just look at ODST and Reach, they weren’t as rich and wonderful as the Halo Trilogy in terms of quality (I still thought ODST was amazing though, but that’s just me).

That’s exactly what I’m talking about.

> > As much as I’d like it, the quality of everything would go down unless <mark>they use side story Halos to fill in the gap for the next main Reclaimer Trilogy release</mark>. But, if they released a numbered Halo every year, you’d see a drop in quality in music, level design, story design, gameplay, game modes, everything. Just look at ODST and Reach, they weren’t as rich and wonderful as the Halo Trilogy in terms of quality (I still thought ODST was amazing though, but that’s just me).
>
> That’s exactly what I’m talking about.

Sorry. Was in a bit of a rush, so I didn’t get time to read the whole post.

> > > As much as I’d like it, the quality of everything would go down unless <mark>they use side story Halos to fill in the gap for the next main Reclaimer Trilogy release</mark>. But, if they released a numbered Halo every year, you’d see a drop in quality in music, level design, story design, gameplay, game modes, everything. Just look at ODST and Reach, they weren’t as rich and wonderful as the Halo Trilogy in terms of quality (I still thought ODST was amazing though, but that’s just me).
> >
> > That’s exactly what I’m talking about.
>
> Sorry. Was in a bit of a rush, so I didn’t get time to read the whole post.

Haha s’all good.

> Halo 2: Anniversary would be on 2014 and no earlier if it were truly to be an Anniversary game.
>
>
> That said, I am against yearly releases. The problem isn’t the quality of the games. It’s the lack of excitement, hype, and feel of something new. Each Halo game deserves its own lifespan and the community -needs- a reason to be excited, to come back.
>
> I for one would love yearly Halo story-arc stuff, but I’d never let my love get in the way of basic gaming marketing. Yearly releases is just a quick way to kill a series. It’s not the quality, again I’ll say this: it’s the stigma of yearly releases simply dragging down on the community. We’re already, as someone pointed out above, getting too many Halo games in too short a time (though it really does help that CE:A was just that- a pretty remake).
>
> I for one am against it on basis that Halo needs to keep up a tri-year release schedule for its main title games if it’s going to outlast its yearly and biyearly competition.

Well I disagree with some of your points but that’s just my opinion

Well, let’s put it this way:

Assassins Creed, CoD, Battlefield are all great sellers and still doing very well. But they’re starting to lose some steam I reckon, and part of it is because they just release too frequently. I admit I’m not terribly excited about Black Flag despite being an avid AC fan.

Meanwhile, games like Halo and Fallout capture my heart with every release, because by the time they announce a new title I’m genuinely excited and ready for something new, not rolling my eyes at what minute new ideas and developments may have come from only a year or two’s worth of dev time.

A game needs time not only to be decently loved and polished, but for the community to be as a whole more readily to accept it with enthusiasm and excitement. They need to feel like they got the most out of their 2-3 year experience with the previous main title so that this new one truly feels fresh.

I would prefer to have a Halo game every… Maybe 2-4 years. Being that I would hope the game has an amazing 20 missions campaign and an awesome Multiplayer.

No because the company will feel rushed and will not make the game the best it can be. The more time they get, the better the game. Just look at COD. They release a new game every year, but its practically the same thing every since COD4 except with a better faceplant every time.

A second ODST would be brilliant.

I wouldn’t mind as long as the online community is preserved. ODST didn’t have its own multiplayer, and neither did Anniversary. If people wanted to play traditional matchmaking, they had to stay with the entire group of likeminded gamers, and I love that idea. With all the CoDs and Guitar Heroes, its hard to find matches unless you’re playing the most recent release from the last six months.

I think that 343 should have released the two very distinct versions of Halo gameplay available.One version, the classic pick-up power style and the new load-out orientated style begun in Reach.

Two distinct versions of the Halo brand released on alternating years allowing for yearly releases and a larger market share while pleasing every facet of the Halo community.

It would be epic in so many ways.

Mission structure would still be better than Spartan Ops.

Just played E7C4 yesterday, on Legendary, had to camp with sniper/DMR + use infinite ammo crates, not to mention nearly every single Elite was a GENERAL and there were dozens of fuel rod gun Grunts. At one point, the door shut behind me and I had to rush into enemy territory to reach ammo crates. It was awful, but I still managed to complete that section without dying (exploited AI’s poor line of sight, sniped Generals on their foot/leg 3-4 times then popped out for DMR headshot. Popped out for headshots on Grunts as well, narrowly avoided fuel rods).

I’d love for Halo 2 Anniversary to be released in 2014. That’d leave a gap this year, but what can you do? Halo 5 would surely follow up in 2015.

> <mark>No because the company will feel rushed and will not make the game the best it can be.</mark> The more time they get, the better the game. Just look at COD. They release a new game every year, but its practically the same thing every since COD4 except with a better faceplant every time.

I said they should get another studio to do the spin-offs so 343 wouldnt be rushed at all.

No thanks. I’d rather have a perfected Halo 5 that can keep a good online population, is balanced out, and has more pleased fans than upset fans. No more of this beta stuff, I don’t wanna go through this process again.

> No thanks. <mark>I’d rather have a perfected Halo 5</mark> that can keep a good online population, is balanced out, and has more pleased fans than upset fans. No more of this beta stuff, I don’t wanna go through this process again.

This wouldn’t affect Halo 5 in the slightest. I said (a few times now) that the spin-off games would be handled by different studios (ala Halo Wars). They would be side stories, ODST style.

It would be nice for smaller titles to fill the gap for some of the Reclaimer Trilogy’s games, but I really like the hype train. That, and I like to be able to play a game MUCH longer after its release. Making a Halo game yearly just makes me play one series every year(I like to keep gaming without pooling tons of money every year)until it ends. I like to stretch out to other titles.