(Y) the Smart Scope is bad for the Halo franchise

Here is a video which compares the spread of weapons fired with and without the use of the Smart Scope:

As can be seen the Smart Scope not only Zooms-in the hip-fired weapon and provides an Aiming reticle, but reduces their Spread.

This is very, very, bad.

It erodes the reason for having a two slot inventory for the purpose of equipping weapons of mixed range and spread.

If I can get a Sub Machine Gun to ‘focus its fire’ through the use of a Smart Scope then there will be no reason for me to ever swtich to a medium to long range weapon with low spread, like the Battle Rifle on these short line-of-sight Arena maps. Better to remove the feature entirely and revert to only having a glass Scope for shoulder fired weapons such as the Battle Rifle, Covenant Carbine, Designated Marksman Rifle and Sniper Rifle. All hip fired weapons can merely Zoom-in without any change in their performance and I don’t feel that they should have even an offset reticle.

Hopefully, of all the (too?) many features being tried out in the multiplayer Beta, the Smart Scope will prove to be the most controversial and 343i will go back to encouraging the “smart player” to press (Y) to switch to a close quarters weapon with a wide spread as they are about to turn a blind corner, and to switch back to something with more range as the map opens up to potential distant threats.

> 2533274808673643;1:
> short line-of-sight Arena maps

I think you answered your own question.
In a small map shouldn’t the weapons suited for closed in small areas be more feared? You’re complaining that you can’t use a weapon that’s already ill-suited for close quarters fighting in close quarters. BRs an DMRs would be better suited for larger matches like in BTB.

On the issue of smart scoping with autos, I’m fine with the idea though I think they might grant a little too much accuracy. The SMG does look like a monster and the AR doesn’t look like it has any recoil to it, I saw quite a few people scoping and holding that trigger down and they were still on target.

The spread issue on the autos is the problem. They should act the same zoomed as they do unzoomed.

Outside of that there just needs to be an option regarding the visuals. They should have the same fov reduction and not offer any advantage over one another or trade offs.

Im from the CE era, I actually like the new look. Just want to have the option to revert it back to the classic.

It has been changed, they made it so spread keeps the same

Smart Scope itself isn’t the problem, but the spread on the SMG when scoped is problematic and will likely be changed.

The UNSC range hierarchy should be:
shotty-smg-ar-pistol-BR-dmr-sniper

but with the spread reduction, the SMG came too far into the AR/pistol area of the spectrum.

> RoderickVI wrote:
>
> It has been changed, they made it so spread keeps the same

I did not know that. I suppose everything is in a state of flux even for the early Alpha testers I watched on Twitch.tv

This is very good news. It demonstrates that 343i are receptive to constructive criticism. Maybe that video I linked persuaded them. Who knows?

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my comment. Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for a Happy New Year, here’s hoping you enjoy the Beta on the 29th.

> S12 ASHIDO KANO wrote:
>
> The spread issue on the autos is the problem. They should act the same zoomed as they do unzoomed.

I agree.

However, I think that the Smart Scope should be replaced by original Glass Scope / Helmet Zoom with the latter lacking any form of reticle.

As it stands at the moment the Smart Scope will Zoom in to make a target easier to hit, give you an unobstructed Field of View, reduce the spread of your automatic weapon and provide you with an aiming reticle. Movement isn’t slowed down whilst using the Smart Scope, so I can’t see why players wouldn’t use it all the time as it only improves things and makes equipping a Battle Rifle, etc. rather redundant.

Having seen Twitch.tv streams of Truth and recently played Heretic in the Master Chief Collection (both of which are loosely based on Midship) it is strange to think that the Battle Rifle I relied on in that match would be all but redundant in Halo 5 Guardians due to the reduced spread of the Smart Scoped SMG.

Lets not forget that de-scope is back so you aren’t going to be able to stay in scope in a 2-way firefight anyway. So an AR might be pretty powerful at med-long range at least until you get shot with a BR/DMR. Descoped, the AR is more purely a short-medium range weapon. BR/DMRs at medium-long range are more powerful than the AR if both are descoped especially if you take into consideration that the BR and DMR are headshot weapons and an AR is not. At medium range the BR will barely beat the AR if you get a 4 shot where if you dont get the headshot the AR will probably win. This seems good to me since that medium range is where the effective range of the BR and AR overlap, if you consider that when descoped the AR is short-medium range, and BR Medium-long range.

the Scoped vs descoped damage debate is an interesting one. I remember hearing a while ago that there was no hit to damage or accuracy if you were descoped but clearly that wasnt the case in last weekends beta. its possible that more internal testing revealed a problem with that since they made that statement. The idea is good in theory, but if it wasnt working out in reality then i’m ok with changing that as long as it was a very carefully crafted decision.

We will see how things change during/after the full beta.

So long as spread and damage stays the same and it’s simply a zoom without additional auto aim, (basically making it useless) , I’ll be happy.

I must agree however, I don’t think smart scope belongs. It seems unwarranted.

> 2533274808673643;1:
> Here is a video which compares the spread of weapons fired with and without the use of the Smart Scope:
>
> Hip Fire vs Smart Scope - YouTube
>
> As can be seen the Smart Scope not only Zooms-in the hip-fired weapon and provides an Aiming reticle, but reduces their Spread.
>
> This is very, very, bad.
>
> It erodes the reason for having a two slot inventory for the purpose of equipping weapons of mixed range and spread.
>
> If I can get a Sub Machine Gun to ‘focus its fire’ through the use of a Smart Scope then there will be no reason for me to ever swtich to a medium to long range weapon with low spread, like the Battle Rifle on these short line-of-sight Arena maps. Better to remove the feature entirely and revert to only having a glass Scope for shoulder fired weapons such as the Battle Rifle, Covenant Carbine, Designated Marksman Rifle and Sniper Rifle. All hip fired weapons can merely Zoom-in without any change in their performance and I don’t feel that they should have even an offset reticle.
>
> Hopefully, of all the (too?) many features being tried out in the multiplayer Beta, the Smart Scope will prove to be the most controversial and 343i will go back to encouraging the “smart player” to press (Y) to switch to a close quarters weapon with a wide spread as they are about to turn a blind corner, and to switch back to something with more range as the map opens up to potential distant threats.

It was like this in Halo 3.

> 2533274875146302;10:
> > 2533274808673643;1:
> > Here is a video which compares the spread of weapons fired with and without the use of the Smart Scope:
> >
> > Hip Fire vs Smart Scope - YouTube
> >
> > As can be seen the Smart Scope not only Zooms-in the hip-fired weapon and provides an Aiming reticle, but reduces their Spread.
> >
> > This is very, very, bad.
> >
> > It erodes the reason for having a two slot inventory for the purpose of equipping weapons of mixed range and spread.
> >
> > If I can get a Sub Machine Gun to ‘focus its fire’ through the use of a Smart Scope then there will be no reason for me to ever swtich to a medium to long range weapon with low spread, like the Battle Rifle on these short line-of-sight Arena maps. Better to remove the feature entirely and revert to only having a glass Scope for shoulder fired weapons such as the Battle Rifle, Covenant Carbine, Designated Marksman Rifle and Sniper Rifle. All hip fired weapons can merely Zoom-in without any change in their performance and I don’t feel that they should have even an offset reticle.
> >
> > Hopefully, of all the (too?) many features being tried out in the multiplayer Beta, the Smart Scope will prove to be the most controversial and 343i will go back to encouraging the “smart player” to press (Y) to switch to a close quarters weapon with a wide spread as they are about to turn a blind corner, and to switch back to something with more range as the map opens up to potential distant threats.
>
>
> It was like this in Halo 3.

No… it was not.

One of the main problems I have with smart-scope, aside from being completely unnecessary, is that it only serves to reduce diversity within the sandbox. That is what happens when you take a weapon trait and apply it across the board.

An AR with a scope? We have not seen an auto weapon with a scope in multiplayer(aside from a bit with H2A), so I can get behind that. But then the SMG has a scope, and so will a storm/plasma rifle and Suppressor. Suddenly the AR is just like every other weapon once again. I would much rather see unique mechanics applied to each weapon than simply throw a scope onto everything.

For all the fuss it causes smart scope is such a superficial addition, it just makes feel like 343 is treating a large portion of potential customers/fans like idiots. “Oh well you may not have like Halo before, but look! Halo totally has ADS, er smart scope now! Clearly now you will come running…”

> 2533274829505190;4:
> It has been changed, they made it so spread keeps the same

it would be nice if you could post a source. just sayin

but for the topic at hand, does the increased accuracy really matter ? in the end if its really that bad just decrease the buff or dont add it at all and just keep the zoom.