XP Boosts shouldn't persist when not ingame

They’re doing this to encourage you to buy more from the store. I’ve bitched about it in so many threads that I’m getting tired of it but almost everything in this game since it’s a free to play model is designed to suck as much money as it can out of you.

1 Like

Everything else than actual match-time should not affect the timestamp, period.

2 Likes

Some great suggestions here, I hope 343 are looking over all the threads because there’s a huge pool of ideas they could use. Any solution that doesn’t feel like a wasted token is miles better than what we have now, especially if they’re one of the only ways to level quicker when your challenges for the week are completed.

Good news, the devs have pointed this out and they are going to make XP boosts only count down while in a match, so it won’t even count down while browsing the menus!

1 Like

Ooooooh when was this?

Yeah, personally I hate this tactic of “time-based” consumable monetization. That’s because I don’t have 1 hr. available that often to dedicate to something like this. At least you can choose when to do it I guess, but you’re right, if you get a disconnect or power loss, or crash, or anything it just feels extra bad. Per-match would be a better system, by far.

1 Like

I do think it’s okay to have an element of planning around when’s best to use them, for example if you have a chain of easy challenges at 250xp each and you pop a token so you can double them all, that’s efficiency. But when you pop that token and lose 25 minutes to MP dropouts, being put into a 6 hour continous lobby and then disconnected, it’s a real kick in the balls.

I agree. I completely wasted one at one point as I got disconnected and then it wouldn’t let me search for a while. They’re already kind of -Yoink!- considering so many of the challenges are RNG. Last week my last few challenges included banshee and scorpion kills, I ended up popping a couple thinking I was close but it was like 6 hours before I got into a match that even had either of those vehicles lol

1 Like

Agreed, wouldn’t be surprised if half the boosted time is wasted in loby waiting to get into a game.

At some rough guestimations after playing and posting this yesterday I’m pretty sure you only get around 30-40 mins worth of boosts after all the time wasted. It’s a good job they upped it to 60 mins.

Are there other games who handle it this way, too?

Otherwise, I don’t really know why they came up with this as the best solution :sweat_smile:

I’d rather get 3 XP Boost which count for 1 match, each.
Or fixed amounts, since the current Battlepass System doesn’t focus on individual XP and more on giving general XP blocks after each match…

I’m still trying to reverse engineer in my head the exact solution they’ve gone with, I’m fairly certain it sets a timestamp then counts down towards that timestamp and any games that fall in to that period have their XP doubled at the end.

Programatically I would implement that by storing the timestamp once and read from it (probably serverside), then clear it when the system date surpasses the timestamp. But I’m not sure if that’s any more performant than running a timer (which is already running to countdown most likely) and subtracting gametime from that.

Afaik I think the CoD games also do XP boosts this way.

it was a month or so back, it was part of feedback they’ve noted from testing

1 Like

I’m glad the devs are going to be changing this, because the number of times I’ve sat there watching the “other players are loading” screen and being thankful that I didn’t use a boost is staggering! lol

1 Like

@mstrex20 Ahh I see! It’s a shame that it even made it into the current game that we have now. I think most wouldn’t have minded a delay in return for a more polished experience.

@Enog82 Exactly! I have more radical thoughts on that topic but they’re not realistic to enforce, I think matchmaking should time out people far sooner than it does if their machine takes way too long to load the map. It’s definately improved since the launch day!

1 Like

I totally agree, a set number of matches would be good but what about if you start a match and then the server loses connection, then you would have lost one of your 2xp uses, now that would be a bigger problem than losing just a few minutes. Just a thought that I’m throwing out for everyone to chew on is all.

3 Likes

I agree, although I feel it’s fair to point out that they’re trying to emulate other proven systems with design choices like these.

Is it a good idea? No, of course not. Copying someone else’s homework and making it look a little different (a la Modern Warfare 2019’s double XP tokens) isn’t exactly innovative game design, but I’ll give them some slack. This is a dev team that creates AAA full-price titles attempting to engineer a F2P experience in hopes of higher player counts and profit, and there’s zero chance of them not goofing things up.

3 Likes

Oh yeah definitely of course, I was just thinking outloud about the pros and cons is all.

2 Likes

It’s hard to think that with all the other examples of games doing double xp boosts right, that if they are just copying someone else’s homework anyways, why weren’t they able to make it decent? and how did they screw it up so bad? But that being said… the scuttlebutt is that most of the pressure for the overtly predatory battlepass/challenge/microtransaction system comes from M$ft and the higher ups… not 343i. shrugs if that’s true, idk… but I hate thinking that the fellow halo fans and gamers that get to build these experiences, would really want to poison it like this.

2 Likes