Wtf the story was good people

I don’t understand people saying the story was bad or it didn’t lead anywere. Wel it’s the middle chapter it’s not suppose to finish anything. Did halo 2 finish anything? No it did not all you did was fight covenant and flood only for Chief to go to earth and say finishing this fight. For a middle chapter like halo 2, halo 5 did it pretty dam well if you ask me. I’m just tired of people saying it didn’t lead anywere and left on a cliffhanger. Really people really, it’s the middle chapter. Do some expect halo 4,5 and 6 to each have there own story. It will continue and wrap up next game. Anyway for what it had to do I found the story to be great and all the missions and mission designs were fun.

Most complaining about the story are the ones who don’t follow the books it seems. Also they didn’t like how the advertising didn’t quite match up with the game.

It’s like people expect halo 5 to start a story then 10 missions later end the story and halo 6 have its own story. Halo 4,5 and 6 is all one story.

This is the halo fanbase man, they complain, it’s what they do.

I agree it wasn’t nearly as bad as some people claim it to be. Yet, obviously, it does have it’s share of problems. The heavy emphasis on ‘book knowledge’ to be able to make sense of the story isn’t a smart thing to do because not every player wants to delve into the books to enjoy the game to the fullest. The lack of more Blue Team missions, the infamous walk-around-and-talk mission and the lack of an introduction to the events happening in this game all are valid points of critique if you ask me.

What I don’t agree on however are the claims of this story being filled with tropes. Which it wasn’t. Overall the story did offer a fresh take on the post-Covie era. Who would’ve thought the AI would be the ones to fear (and their plan doesn’t make them any better than total assimilation by the Flood to be honest) and not the Covie Remnants? The campaign also has some amazing level design and some of the more awesome firefights in the series (the two big ones before reaching Arby were amazing), the game plays well and is full of fan service if you’ve read the books.

I applaud it for opening up the scale of the conflict, just as H2 did. In a sense that makes it one of the more daring Halo stories again. However, the way it was handled without a proper introduction to give context to what was going on was just not a very good call on 343i’s behalf.

I shouldn’t have to read books, external lore, to be caught up on the plot of a video game. Halo 4 and 5, despite being apart of a saga, have almost nothing to do with each other. 343 took all the stuff that connected them and handled it in comic books and Spartan Ops and crap like that. Halo 2 had a campaign that flowed in the aftermath of CE and Halo 3 took off right after Halo 2. It makes a smooth transition instead of a jumping in and hoping you bought all the extra stuff. Halo 5’s campaign was also the shortest, making all of it come off as contrived plot that some guy came up with on the ride to the studio one day.

> 2533274800273892;3:
> It’s like people expect halo 5 to start a story then 10 missions later end the story and halo 6 have its own story. Halo 4,5 and 6 is all one story.

They should be continuous, but also self contained. The story has no beginning or end, it’s nothing but middle that often goes entirely unexplained. I feel like they don’t even know where they were going with this Cortana and the Reape… err guardians plot.

> 2533274874477751;7:
> The should be continuous, but also self contained. The story has no beginning or end, it’s nothing but middle that often goes entirely unexplained. I feel like they don’t even know where they were going with this Cortana and the Reape… err guardians plot.

“SHEPARD, YOU HAVE TO STOP THE MASTER CHIEF.”

The story feels like we are only playing it starting at level 2. It feels like the assembly of Blue Team should at least be mentioned in a cut scene. Otherwise, why exactly is Chief fighting with 3 other people we never heard of before who are supposed to be just as good as he is(yes, I know it’s because Cortana is no longer with him and also for 4 player coop)?

There should have been a cut scene that at least told us why Buck was on Team Locke and him becoming a Spartan.

But not even a cut scene, but some dialog within the story would have helped.

The ads for this game gave us the impression that we would see one thing in the campaign, but we ended up seeing something entirely different. So we already had an ideal that Locke would actually be hunting Chief because, I don’t know, Cortana tried to reach out to him from beyond, and maybe he’d go looking for her, and maybe Del Rio would deny that request because of their previous conflict and Chief would say “F You. I’m going to go looking for Cortana”. He’d end up going AWOL, and they’d go hunting gimme down. The way he went AWOL in the game was pretty brief.

It just feels like when you are going to see a movie and get their 25 minutes after it started so you miss all the important details that set up the story.

It was ok, felt rushed or shortened in editing for some reason.

i loved the campaign i mean they could of nerfed how many times we faught warden a little bit all in all i cant wait for halo 6 the legendary ending after credits gives a great leak to what it may be about its kind of a great sum up and it is a great line up to lead us into what will hopefully be the fanaly to a great series were they can also lead off and start following locke in another game if they wanted to i wish tey had a few more missions with chief in them but all in all new hero new game #343industries good job keep up the good work you could use a few tweaks but you are finding your flow

> 2533274807472927;6:
> I shouldn’t have to read books, external lore, to be caught up on the plot of a video game. Halo 4 and 5, despite being apart of a saga, have almost nothing to do with each other. 343 took all the stuff that connected them and handled it in comic books and Spartan Ops and crap like that. Halo 2 had a campaign that flowed in the aftermath of CE and Halo 3 took off right after Halo 2. It makes a smooth transition instead of a jumping in and hoping you bought all the extra stuff. Halo 5’s campaign was also the shortest, making all of it come off as contrived plot that some guy came up with on the ride to the studio one day.

Well considering that Halo 4 is how Chief got separated from Cortana after defeating the Diadact and the introduction to Forerunners Halo 4 links with Halo 5 by quite a bit. It seems some don’t really know the games as well as they think.

Its not the abrupt ending that gets me. I can understand that if will have really no other option but to end with a cliffhanger but I felt like I still should have been playing the game after that last cutscene. I didn’t feel like this with H2 in fact, that ending gave me chills. This one had no effect on me at all. For a game that was filled with a lot of gameplay I felt as though I was left short with a story. There was really only 4 locations in the game; Harvest Moon, Shanghelios, Genesis, and the 1st level. That’s 4 locations to cover 15 missions. Compare that to the other Halo games, H2 had Metropolis, Heretic Station, High Charity, Delta Halo, Cario Station, Quarantine Zone, and many more. Each was it’s unique location. I like to compare Halo 5’s to each location like a state and you only visit the capital. Pretty lame when you could go to the capital of Florida and still not even see Disney World. Also what was with those three -Yoink!- missions where you just walked around and activated the objective?(why not just make them into cutscenes?) I feel really deceived that 343 would consider those playable missions, it’s almost like they put those in there just to claim that. Really sneaky if you ask me. Also the fact that the game was falsely advertised(yes I am going that far.) We were promised a “hunt.” Not really a hunt when Locke already knows where Chief is and he just goes to the location and finds him. I was expecting the whole game to be trying to find Chief and not finding him until the last few missions in an epic build up. I was also expecting a huge rivalry between Locke and Chief and if you followed the advertising and didn’t get that impression you’re lying. There was non of that(besides the fight between Chief and Locke) which IMO was not very satisfying either. Also I don’t understand why Chief had to be announced publicly that he was dead, considering he really wasn’t causing anybody and harm at all and even told Lasky he was going for Cortana. I was sincerely expecting Chief to go rouge and actually be up to something sneaky that the UNSC didn’t know exactly and he was actually considered a threat. It was nothing like that at all. Another thing is Cortana is back. But that isn’t the problem. It’s the way she was revealed to be back. At first it was nicely set up with Chief having the vision of her and him and Blue team were questioning how that’s possible. Good, I don’t want to know if she is back for sure until its been built up and I’ve begun thinking of possible ways she could be back and then finally find out. But NO. Everything that made the emotional appeal of Halo 4’s ending great was literally flushed down the toilet and not even considered when they decided to reveal that Cortana was back instead this is how it went, " Wait what Cortana is back? Yes she is. I thought she died. Nope I guess not."(paraphrasing) This really bothered me especially. They should have incorporated this into the story! It’s a huge plot point and is treated like some background dialogue. Gameplay wise the boss battles got really repetitive but I would never complain about this if the story was good because it’s not that big of deal. The A.I was horrible. Now I understand that the game is meant to play Co-op but I would like to enjoy the game solo without having to deal with horrible squad mechanics. I had a feeling from the get go they were not going to work out well and was actually more surprised when I found out they were worse than I imagined. I’m not going to get into details with this because you can find out the problems for yourself if you play Legendary Solo. All in all I must say that if you don’t take any marketing/advertising into account the campaign would actually be alright. Not my favorite Halo for some of the reasons that still apply without false perceptions brought on by marketing.(3 MC missions?!) But, nevertheless if the marketing wasn’t the way it was I wouldn’t even be writing this right now.

> 2535450009787653;11:
> but you are finding your flow

They’ve made two games now. Will I have to wait until Halo 7, the end of the saga, for them to finally find their flow?

My 8 ball says Most Likely.

No, the story was not good

I’ve spent 2 games shooting robots in the face and still have no real idea on exactly why I’m shooting robots in the face, other than the fact said robots are trying to shoot me in the face…also not sure why they are trying to shoot me in the face

> 2533274802932721;9:
> The story feels like we are only playing it starting at level 2. It feels like the assembly of Blue Team should at least be mentioned in a cut scene. Otherwise, why exactly is Chief fighting with 3 other people we never heard of before who are supposed to be just as good as he is(yes, I know it’s because Cortana is no longer with him and also for 4 player coop)?
>
> There should have been a cut scene that at least told us why Buck was on Team Locke and him becoming a Spartan.
>
> But not even a cut scene, but some dialog within the story would have helped.
>
> The ads for this game gave us the impression that we would see one thing in the campaign, but we ended up seeing something entirely different. So we already had an ideal that Locke would actually be hunting Chief because, I don’t know, Cortana tried to reach out to him from beyond, and maybe he’d go looking for her, and maybe Del Rio would deny that request because of their previous conflict and Chief would say “F You. I’m going to go looking for Cortana”. He’d end up going AWOL, and they’d go hunting gimme down. The way he went AWOL in the game was pretty brief.
>
> It just feels like when you are going to see a movie and get their 25 minutes after it started so you miss all the important details that set up the story.

The books cover blue team and Buck becoming a Spartan. Fall of Reach and Halo Escalation if I am remembering correctly.

> 2533274816788253;12:
> > 2533274807472927;6:
> > I shouldn’t have to read books, external lore, to be caught up on the plot of a video game. Halo 4 and 5, despite being apart of a saga, have almost nothing to do with each other. 343 took all the stuff that connected them and handled it in comic books and Spartan Ops and crap like that. Halo 2 had a campaign that flowed in the aftermath of CE and Halo 3 took off right after Halo 2. It makes a smooth transition instead of a jumping in and hoping you bought all the extra stuff. Halo 5’s campaign was also the shortest, making all of it come off as contrived plot that some guy came up with on the ride to the studio one day.
>
>
> Well considering that Halo 4 is how Chief got separated from Cortana after defeating the Diadact and the introduction to Forerunners Halo 4 links with Halo 5 by quite a bit. It seems some don’t really know the games as well as they think.

Of course it links with the game, it’s called Halo 5. From a narrative standpoint, however, there is no link. If you’re telling a story, you want one arc to flow into the other while being able to have both stand on their own two feet. Halo 5 stands on external lore as opposed to picking up the reigns of where Halo 4 left off.

> 2684064956505966;15:
> No, the story was not good
>
> I’ve spent 2 games shooting robots in the face and still have no real idea on exactly why I’m shooting robots in the face, other than the fact said robots are trying to shoot me in the face…also not sure why they are trying to shoot me in the face

You didn’t pay much attention in Halo 4 did you?

I liked the story

> 2533274807472927;17:
> > 2533274816788253;12:
> > > 2533274807472927;6:
> > > I shouldn’t have to read books, external lore, to be caught up on the plot of a video game. Halo 4 and 5, despite being apart of a saga, have almost nothing to do with each other. 343 took all the stuff that connected them and handled it in comic books and Spartan Ops and crap like that. Halo 2 had a campaign that flowed in the aftermath of CE and Halo 3 took off right after Halo 2. It makes a smooth transition instead of a jumping in and hoping you bought all the extra stuff. Halo 5’s campaign was also the shortest, making all of it come off as contrived plot that some guy came up with on the ride to the studio one day.
> >
> >
> > Well considering that Halo 4 is how Chief got separated from Cortana after defeating the Diadact and the introduction to Forerunners Halo 4 links with Halo 5 by quite a bit. It seems some don’t really know the games as well as they think.
>
>
> Of course it links with the game, it’s called Halo 5. From a narrative standpoint, however, there is no link. If you’re telling a story, you want one arc to flow into the other while being able to have both stand on their own two feet. Halo 5 stands on external lore as opposed to picking up the reigns of where Halo 4 left off.

Yeah I kinda see that. Since at the end of Halo 4 Chief is having his armor removed at in Halo 5 Chief has been reunited with Blue Team. But sometimes games can’t exactly explain every detail. They have to choose what they can fit in the game. It seems it was quite the mistake to rely more on external lore to tell the story.