Wraiths, Elites, And Infinite Ammo

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

So let’s start straight from gameplay experience, and do this in order of topic. Wraiths. They’re fine, they are, barring the literally-impossible-for-a-player artillery aim the AI gets to enjoy… and this one little issue where if you stun a Wraith on what seems to be Heroic or higher, their um… “skill” is so great that the driver is able to fire at a 330 degree angle, out the back end of the Wraith, to hit someone BEHIND it. So that was a nasty surprise that needs to be looked at. What’s the point of stunning and flanking such an unwieldy heavy vehicle if it can apparently swat you in any direction anyway?

I want to reiterate; it fired its projectile in the opposite direction of its gun, directly at me. I had stunned it using the grenade rifle from behind, and the driver apparently decided to right-click and delete me for my cheek. Sarcasm aside, there’s no way this is an intentional feature of the game, and it can become a vicious game-ending bug.

Elites
Whoever was in charge of the Elites’ ability to throw grenades and commit melee attacks is a brainless troglodyte and is probably the kind of person who watches sports solely for the parts where people break limbs and are left screaming on the ground in abject misery and pain. Some Elites throw grenades just fine; they have an animation, some of them even stop to do it. This is ideal for balance concerns; you have the CHANCE to recognize the grenade threat. Ultras aren’t much fussed on that though. They will spray at you with whatever weapon they have and not so much as stop shooting to curveball a grenade at you, with perfect accuracy. It’s like a random crit from one of their regular guns. It’s ridiculous. And the melee, dear lord the melee. Without warning, and a hell of a lot faster than the player can, they will sort of… poke you angrily, and that apparently translates to enough force to rival a vehicular impact, inexplicably shattering your shields and probably instantly killing you with as little as what seems to be fondling you with their big toe. The animations themselves are far too fast, too seamless and honestly just too weak-looking to make any sense, and thus when an Elite is coming for you, there’s simply no method of response that can save you from it besides backpedalling as quickly as you can and hoping you’re able to mow them down before they can reach you with their stupid aggressive powerwalk (which is not going to work often because of their insane shield strength). I’ve been killed mid-lunge with an Energy Sword by an Elite who wasn’t even facing me. You can imagine my displeasure at this.

And oh god, the spam. The infinite, unceasing spam. With Plasma it makes a little bit of sense since they don’t exactly have magazines or clips, but when an Elite is just spitting Fuel Rod after Fuel Rod after Fuel Rod without end, it gets somewhere between unfair and insulting. What magic technique have they mastered that enables this? Lazy design, that’s what. Exploiting an enemy’s need to reload is a time-tested and completely understandable tactical approach to difficult combat scenarios, but because the enemies all have Bottomless Clip enabled, this is not an option. In a shooter, this is a really out of place problem. I don’t expect troops to have to stop to reload in Halo Wars, but in something like Reach? The need to reload is an essential aspect of simulated armed combat, and when the enemy just doesn’t need to care about it and can infinitely spam weapons which in a player’s hands is downright stupid to waste ammo for (because said weapon is POWERFUL, like the Concussion Rifle, which also has the cruelty to be stupidly common in enemy hands but juuuust not common enough to be a reliable mainstay for the player), it manages to take a fair and balanced system like reload-exploitation (which is a tactic which is literally supported and addressed with the Reload This! medal in multiplayer) and not only ignore its value, but somehow manages to make the situation feel worse than if it were simply ignored.

Look, I don’t need all this wishlist stuff fixed by next week, but they are very serious issues negatively affecting the player experience, and I just want confirmation from staff that these issues are acknowledged as a thing instead of me sitting here wondering if the devs are squatting on their thumbs and repeatedly saying “I’m a genius, I never make mistakes” as scantily-clad businessmen continuously feed them rich chocolate treats from out of a box marked “For A Job Well Done”.

This is a little trick developers use called “artificial difficulty”. I have no clue why Bungie did a 180 on their design philosophy from CE, 2, and 3, but enemies in Reach just don’t choreograph their attacks well enough. It makes Elites an incredible threat when they are going against you. Still, it won’t be changed.

MCC’s design philosophy is to maintain all aspects of the original. Trust me, the game difficulty is cemented where it is. Bungie can’t just hop back on board and fix their 10-year-old game now. If you want my advice, though, I’d look at TheVengefulVadam’s Reach overhaul mod, Halo Reach: Evolved if you’re on PC. He’s been developing it for about a year now, and it aims to take out artificial difficulty wherever possible. The mod should be released some time this year, if you want to have a less frustrating playthrough, lol

As posted above - it’s a 10 year old game, there isn’t much that can be done with fixing it, especially campaign wise.

Are you experiencing these issues in Firefight or Campaign?

> 2533274850493408;3:
> As posted above - it’s a 10 year old game, there isn’t much that can be done with fixing it, especially campaign wise.
>
> Are you experiencing these issues in Firefight or Campaign?

Both.

> 2535419065861453;4:
> > 2533274850493408;3:
> > As posted above - it’s a 10 year old game, there isn’t much that can be done with fixing it, especially campaign wise.
> >
> > Are you experiencing these issues in Firefight or Campaign?
>
> Both.

So if you haven’t already posted here (that is, if you’re using Xbox - on PC the thread is here) , you’re going to want to do so. There’s a much higher chance that the devs read your feedback on this thread than anywhere else. You should also be straight and to the point at what the issues are. And keep in mind - the audience you’re addressing isn’t the creators of the game, just the custodians of it.

Like I said, don’t expect a major fix, seeing as most of the groundwork of the game has already been uploaded and is slightly tweakable, not necessarily changeable. Personally, I don’t think the game is all that difficult even on higher settings, but depending on what you’re trying to do some things can be a little more tricky than others.

> 2533274850493408;5:
> > 2535419065861453;4:
> > > 2533274850493408;3:
> > > As posted above - it’s a 10 year old game, there isn’t much that can be done with fixing it, especially campaign wise.
> > >
> > > Are you experiencing these issues in Firefight or Campaign?
> >
> > Both.
>
> I don’t think the game is all that difficult even on higher settings, but depending on what you’re trying to do some things can be a little more tricky than others.

I think the same, for example, on LASO the hardest thing for me is what i can’t see my HUD. In the OG Reach i was able to see my shield/health , ammo and armor hability.

I can understant than the skull removes my hud but my weapon? What is the point of that? xD

> 2533274832510269;6:
> > 2533274850493408;5:
> > > 2535419065861453;4:
> > > > 2533274850493408;3:
> > > > As posted above - it’s a 10 year old game, there isn’t much that can be done with fixing it, especially campaign wise.
> > > >
> > > > Are you experiencing these issues in Firefight or Campaign?
> > >
> > > Both.
> >
> > I don’t think the game is all that difficult even on higher settings, but depending on what you’re trying to do some things can be a little more tricky than others.
>
> I think the same, for example, on LASO the hardest thing for me is what i can’t see my HUD. In the OG Reach i was able to see my shield/health , ammo and armor hability.
>
> I can understant than the skull removes my hud but my weapon? What is the point of that? xD

I think we’d all agree that LASO is meant to be pretty damn punishing.

But, I don’t really remember LASO having a blind HUD, so you do have a point there.