Would You Say Halo Wars 2 is Better Than 1?

I’m just curious on what game out of Halo Wars 1 and Halo Wars 2 do people prefer? I haven’t got Halo Wars 2 yet and I didn’t play the first on religiously, but I played it a bit of it. I’m just curious what people recommend?

Definitely.

As I’ve said before, only things HW1 did better were unit upgrades and map interactive elements.

As per the rest, HW2 is a far superior RTS and a significant evolution to the first game in terms of depth and complexity.

Most definitely a better game. Pretty much exactly what Blaky said. I would love to see some of the old maps with the interactive elements come back personally.

Maps in Halo Wars 1 were much better looking and were more unique from a gameplay standpoint, instead of the flat plains that a lot of Halo Wars 2 maps are. I think the story was better too. The two factions were much more asymmetrical in Halo Wars 1 than 2 which I prefer aswell.

Overall Halo Wars 2 is better but the only real problem I have is that the 8 maps is not enough, they don’t look anywhere as interesting and play somewhat similar.

Yes. It is better and more complex in literally every way. The only thing slightly lacking is maps but from a balance and competition focused perspective the ones in the game make sense.

HW2 is so much better than HW1 in nearly every way. It’s more in line with what you would expect from an RTS in terms of complexity while still remaining simple enough at its core to be played with a game pad and not be overburdened.

It’s got some rough patches, but improvements are being made.

HW2 isn’t quite what I expected for the sequel, but I’m glad it went the direction that it did. CA did the right thing by expanding on what ES implemented in HW1, rather than simply re-hashing it with better graphics.

Edit: this is for the console version.

Surprised to see so many people agree. Halo Wars is far superior to Halo Wars 2 in my book.

My only complaint about HW2 is that in multiplayer I feel like the AI miss a lot more shots than in HW1.

I would say Halo Wars 1 had a more interesting campaign and way better multiplayer level design. Halo Wars 2 is more balanced and provides way more strategy.
Overall, I’d say Halo Wars 2 is better though

2 is way better than 1. I like how infantry can actually be used in battle instead of just Garrisoning a reactor. There’s more variety in builds as well instead of leader first or warthogs first like hw1 was

Blaky said it all

> 2533274821521504;2:
> Definitely.
>
> As I’ve said before, only things HW1 did better were unit upgrades and map interactive elements.
>
> As per the rest, HW2 is a far superior RTS and a significant evolution to the first game in terms of depth and complexity.

> 2533274830489835;7:
> Surprised to see so many people agree. Halo Wars is far superior to Halo Wars 2 in my book.

And that is fine, people can prefer one over the other. But I’m just curious, on which aspects do you believe HW1 is superior?

Halo Wars 2 is better. Halo Wars 1 was and continues to be fantastic. But it’s multiplayer was very linear and consisted of warthogs, gremlins, wolverines, scorpions, vampires, and banshees. Those were essentially the only things worth building. It was unfortunate.

HW2 lacks in unit specific upgrades and map diversity. So each and every match is basically the same whack-a-mole of who can mass the most units that counter his opponent’s. Also it lacks in faction diversity, the 2 sides mirror too much in unit and building composition.

> 2533274807340992;14:
> HW2 lacks in unit specific upgrades and map diversity. So each and every match is basically the same whack-a-mole of who can mass the most units that counter his opponent’s. Also it lacks in faction diversity, the 2 sides mirror too much in unit and building composition.

"So each and every match is basically the same whack-a-mole of who can mass the most units that counter his opponent’s".

Whereas HW1 was every match simply massing 1 type of unit (usually each leader’s super unit), or relying on Covenant leaders.

While HW1’s two factions were decently diversified, each faction’s leaders were relatively similar to each other. HW2 sees a greater difference in how each leader players from the others due to more powers, varied powers, and tiers and stages.

Even the faction-equivalent units like Kodiaks and Locusts or Snipers and Elite Rangers perform quite differently while filling the same role.

EDIT: Also, countering is how you are generally supposed to defeat your opponent…

no

I thought that 1 is better than 2.

> 2533274821521504;12:
> > 2533274830489835;7:
> >
>
> And that is fine, people can prefer one over the other. But I’m just curious, on which aspects do you believe HW1 is superior?

I prefer the art style, the simplicity of the gameplay, and the asymmetric balance of the factions. Those are the main things.

Yes, no question.

> 2533274830489835;18:
> > 2533274821521504;12:
> > > 2533274830489835;7:
> > >
> >
> > And that is fine, people can prefer one over the other. But I’m just curious, on which aspects do you believe HW1 is superior?
>
> I prefer the art style, the simplicity of the gameplay, and the asymmetric balance of the factions. Those are the main things.

Fair enough :slight_smile: