would you have prefered six as he is, or him have his own personality?

what really for me killed it a lot was how six talked barely at all during the game. i think i would have prefered him haveing his own personality instead of being like rookie in ODST.

what do you think?

I think he’s fine the way he is. He is, after all, a one-shot character: One game, then gone.

> I think he’s fine the way he is. He is, after all, a one-shot character: One game, then gone.

yeah but than what about everybody in ODST besides rookie, and everyone in halo wars

> > I think he’s fine the way he is. He is, after all, a one-shot character: One game, then gone.
>
> yeah but than what about everybody in ODST besides rookie, and everyone in halo wars

Buck, Dutch, Mickey, and Romeo weren’t “your” characters. You did step into the shoes of all of them and played them for a mission or two, but they weren’t the main protagonist - the Rookie was. And he’s basically the same type like Six; he’s the “hero”, (mostly) silent, not much if anything is known about him, etc.

Halo Wars is completely different because you don’t step into the shoes of any character at all. Even though you can control Sgt. Forge, you’re not playing him. Instead you’re playing that transcendent omnipotent being high above in the skies that directs the actions of everyone on your side. And that’s because it was fine to give a handful of characters their own personality.

My personality comes out when I play. I’ve often been asked “Why’d you do it like that? It’s so simple to do {insert example}.”
To which my response is “Ya but did you imagine you could it the way I just did?”

Honestly? I don’t really agree with the theory that Bungie came up with that the ideal video game character is a blank that the player can project themselves into. I never really projected myself into the Master Chief when I played him. I’m not vain enough to personally imagine myself as the gigantic armored Clint Eastwood super soldier. I liked Chief because he’s someone you could view a bit impersonally.

So no. I’d have liked it more if characters like the Rookie from ODST and Six from Reach had somewhat more substantial dialogue. Perhaps the idea was to give the other members of the Squad a chance to shine. They did that pretty well in ODST, but it kind of fell apart in Reach.

You people should know that i am completely fine with there blank personalitys because for one thing the progecting yourself does make you feel like your mastercheif or something and two because it makes the few words they say all the more meaningful to there personalitys.

> Honestly? I don’t really agree with the theory that Bungie came up with that the ideal video game character is a blank that the player can project themselves into.

At least it serves as a pretty good excuse not having to bother giving the main protagonists any personality. ^^

Also, I don’t care at all whether the character I play in an FPS has a personality or not. It simply doesn’t matter to me in the least. I had just as much fun playing the “blank sheet” known as The Rookie in ODST as I had playing Marcus in GoW.

I like Six being a blank slate that we can imagine our own character on. I don’t see Six as myself, but it’s fun being able to do pretty much whatever I want for the character as long as it doesn’t break canon. I don’t have a name for my Six yet, but I do know that my version of Six is a girl (Halo needs more flesh and blood female protagonists imo), don’t have too much background story yet :confused: Other than she and Jorge were practically romantically involved, I see signs of that all over female Six and Jorge in the campaign, the undertones just scream it to me :stuck_out_tongue:

Judging by the other characters in Halo Reach, I believe Six wouldn’t had much more depth anyways, probably even less. At least now he is an interesting and mysterious character.