…the graphics of the next Halo FPS aren’t updated from Reach, and instead 343 put all their effort into greater customisation and a better Campaign?
I mean, look at Reach. Those visuals aren’t bad, in fact they’re pretty damn impressive. But split-screen is a joke, the campaign chugs… the limit of the 360 was reached in Halo 3, so any advance will require cutbacks elsewhere.
A huge amount of time is put into designing graphics. Think of all the things Bungie cut from the Campaign we saw at PAX. The Warthog army was reduced from a mission to a cutscene, the second, larger space sequence was cut entirely, the global battle was also removed. If they’d been able to spend all their development time on making the game, rather than fiddling with the graphics and physics, they also would have been able to put a proper storyline in (because let’s be honest, Reach didn’t have a very strong or complicated plot. Go here, blow this up, go there, blow that up).
Customisation has always been a huge part of Halo, it’s what made Halo 3 great, and there were so many possibilities not included in Reach:
- Individual weapon damage modifiers
- AA modifiers (thrust and duration of Jetpack, whether Armour Lock has the shield drain, how invisible you go with Camo and whether or not you jam radar)
- Aggression of AI in Firefight
- Copy and Paste in Forge
- Multiple object skins in Forge
- Better Theater mode (join clips together, add basic FX, basically go one better than Black Ops)
- Forging Firefight maps
- Placing AI in custom maps
- Placing auto-turrets, switches, weather FX in Forge
- All weapons and vehicles from all Halo games placeable in Forge
- More terrain and scenic Forge options
- Optional Flood character models for Infection
- Flood Firefight
These are just a few ideas off the top of my head, there’s far bigger and better lists on Bnet.
So what do you think? Would you be happy if 343 went crazy with the customisation instead of upgrading the graphics and physics?