Would an in game timeline of helped Halo 5?

By in game I don’t mean an in game link to the halo channel. That thing is slow and annoying to navigate and only hurts immersion having to jump around a totally different site just to read up on events. By an in game timeline I mean like Halo Wars. A good source to catch players old and new, hardcore and casual to the current events in lore.

I think this would of been invaluable to Halo 5 seeing as how so many of the fans we’re confused about what was going on. This has to do with eh story being told throughout multiple forms of media but adding an in game timeline would of cleared alot of the dust. IF anything these timelines could point to those stories and show those interested in them a place where they could buy the tale. Instead of getting a summary of the events they could enjoy the story for themselves.

Maybe it’s just me but with the story of Halo growing even larger with every slice of content a timeline is necessary for the average person to keep up with the story. Even some of the most hardcore Halo fans will miss out on an issue or two, so it’d be a nice way for everyone to get a win for once.

P.S. For those of you who picked maybe please, explain why your thoughts. You most likely have opinions that’ll sway many people and shouldn’t go unheard.

I agree in the sense that there is a lot going on between the games and stuff like books and comics. I don’t think it would hurt to have a timeline in game.

It’d be convenient to have an in-game timeline or codex, but it wouldn’t have really mattered too much to make Halo 5’s story better since Halo 5 blatantly ignored everything else leading up to it anyway. At best, you’ll get a bridge between Spartan Ops to Halo 5’s first level…but then wonder why nothing that happened in that bridge mattered.

I think they need to explain what happened between Halo 4 and 5. Reading a comic book is just not the way I want to experience the story. Players who don’t read extended lore have no idea who blue team even is or how they reunited. I don’t even know to be honest, the last books I read they were on a shield world with Halsey. And supposedly the didact was killed off at some point.

It’s just terrible for story telling.

> 2533274812652989;3:
> It’d be convenient to have an in-game timeline or codex, but it wouldn’t have really mattered too much to make Halo 5’s story better since Halo 5 blatantly ignored everything else leading up to it anyway. At best, you’ll get a bridge between Spartan Ops to Halo 5’s first level…but then wonder why nothing that happened in that bridge mattered.

But that’s just it thought, with a timeline it could explain the events we didn’t see in other stories. The timeline alone could spawn other series of comics and books if used correctly.

I hope this helps paint a better image.

Halo 5 ignores everything anyway. So no, it would not help at all. In fact it would probably just confuse you more.

Yes, a hundred times yes. I still don’t know what happened to the janus key that’s such a big deal at the end of Halo 4.

There doesn’t seem to be any cohesion between the games.

> 2535466655192531;5:
> > 2533274812652989;3:
> > It’d be convenient to have an in-game timeline or codex, but it wouldn’t have really mattered too much to make Halo 5’s story better since Halo 5 blatantly ignored everything else leading up to it anyway. At best, you’ll get a bridge between Spartan Ops to Halo 5’s first level…but then wonder why nothing that happened in that bridge mattered.
>
>
> But that’s just it thought, with a timeline it could explain the events we didn’t see in other stories. The timeline alone could spawn other series of comics and books if used correctly.
>
> I hope this helps paint a better image.

Except in Halo 5’s case, it isn’t necessary to know what happened in those other stories since they have no bearing on Halo 5.

> 2533274812652989;8:
> > 2535466655192531;5:
> > > 2533274812652989;3:
> > > It’d be convenient to have an in-game timeline or codex, but it wouldn’t have really mattered too much to make Halo 5’s story better since Halo 5 blatantly ignored everything else leading up to it anyway. At best, you’ll get a bridge between Spartan Ops to Halo 5’s first level…but then wonder why nothing that happened in that bridge mattered.
> >
> >
> > But that’s just it thought, with a timeline it could explain the events we didn’t see in other stories. The timeline alone could spawn other series of comics and books if used correctly.
> >
> > I hope this helps paint a better image.
>
>
> Except in Halo 5’s case, it isn’t necessary to know what happened in those other stories since they have no bearing on Halo 5.

For most people they have no clue why they should care for Osiris or Blue Team. There are stories that call to the multiple times and adding them to the timeline certainly would of helped along with explaining who Jul Mdama was. You could play through every Halo title’s campaign and have no idea who he is and why he’s important.

Just having casual notes like explaining the Arbiter name is actually Thel Vadam are great things to add for the casual fans.

> 2535466655192531;9:
> > 2533274812652989;8:
> > > 2535466655192531;5:
> > > > 2533274812652989;3:
> > > > It’d be convenient to have an in-game timeline or codex, but it wouldn’t have really mattered too much to make Halo 5’s story better since Halo 5 blatantly ignored everything else leading up to it anyway. At best, you’ll get a bridge between Spartan Ops to Halo 5’s first level…but then wonder why nothing that happened in that bridge mattered.
> > >
> > >
> > > But that’s just it thought, with a timeline it could explain the events we didn’t see in other stories. The timeline alone could spawn other series of comics and books if used correctly.
> > >
> > > I hope this helps paint a better image.
> >
> >
> > Except in Halo 5’s case, it isn’t necessary to know what happened in those other stories since they have no bearing on Halo 5.
>
>
> For most people they have no clue why they should care for Osiris or Blue Team. There are stories that call to the multiple times and adding them to the timeline certainly would of helped along with explaining who Jul Mdama was. You could play through every Halo title’s campaign and have no idea who he is and why he’s important.
>
> Just having casual notes like explaining the Arbiter name is actually Thel Vadam are great things to add for the casual fans.

That kind of information is more helpful than necessary though. Like I said, I’d love a codex or timeline in all future Halo games, but just going by what you said if this would have helped Halo 5, it wouldn’t have.

> 2533274806711091;7:
> Yes, a hundred times yes. I still don’t know what happened to the janus key that’s such a big deal at the end of Halo 4.
>
> There doesn’t seem to be any cohesion between the games.

That was another plot device that was casually tossed in the trash in Halo: Escalation. Along with the Librarian, the Didact, Halsey’s sworn revenge on the UNSC, and every single other piece of Halo 4’s plot devices that were planned to tie into Halo 5. Personally, I believe the whole reason Escalation exists was to have a means to derail 343i’s planned story in favor of -Yoink!-'s BS story with bringing Cortana back just so they can make an extra nickel by having the main antagonist of Halo 5 a familiar character. Somehow that makes the game sell more or something; by -Yoink!-'s logic, anyway.

> 2533274812652989;10:
> > 2535466655192531;9:
> > > 2533274812652989;8:
> > > > 2535466655192531;5:
> > > > > 2533274812652989;3:
> > > > > It’d be convenient to have an in-game timeline or codex, but it wouldn’t have really mattered too much to make Halo 5’s story better since Halo 5 blatantly ignored everything else leading up to it anyway. At best, you’ll get a bridge between Spartan Ops to Halo 5’s first level…but then wonder why nothing that happened in that bridge mattered.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > But that’s just it thought, with a timeline it could explain the events we didn’t see in other stories. The timeline alone could spawn other series of comics and books if used correctly.
> > > >
> > > > I hope this helps paint a better image.
> > >
> > >
> > > Except in Halo 5’s case, it isn’t necessary to know what happened in those other stories since they have no bearing on Halo 5.
> >
> >
> > For most people they have no clue why they should care for Osiris or Blue Team. There are stories that call to the multiple times and adding them to the timeline certainly would of helped along with explaining who Jul Mdama was. You could play through every Halo title’s campaign and have no idea who he is and why he’s important.
> >
> > Just having casual notes like explaining the Arbiter name is actually Thel Vadam are great things to add for the casual fans.
>
>
> That kind of information is more helpful than necessary though. Like I said, I’d love a codex or timeline in all future Halo games, but just going by what you said if this would have helped Halo 5, it wouldn’t have.

Do you think I’d help future installments or hold them back because it’d become a crutch of story telling?

> 2535466655192531;12:
> > 2533274812652989;10:
> > > 2535466655192531;9:
> > > > 2533274812652989;8:
> > > > > 2535466655192531;5:
> > > > > > 2533274812652989;3:
> > > > > > It’d be convenient to have an in-game timeline or codex, but it wouldn’t have really mattered too much to make Halo 5’s story better since Halo 5 blatantly ignored everything else leading up to it anyway. At best, you’ll get a bridge between Spartan Ops to Halo 5’s first level…but then wonder why nothing that happened in that bridge mattered.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > But that’s just it thought, with a timeline it could explain the events we didn’t see in other stories. The timeline alone could spawn other series of comics and books if used correctly.
> > > > >
> > > > > I hope this helps paint a better image.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Except in Halo 5’s case, it isn’t necessary to know what happened in those other stories since they have no bearing on Halo 5.
> > >
> > >
> > > For most people they have no clue why they should care for Osiris or Blue Team. There are stories that call to the multiple times and adding them to the timeline certainly would of helped along with explaining who Jul Mdama was. You could play through every Halo title’s campaign and have no idea who he is and why he’s important.
> > >
> > > Just having casual notes like explaining the Arbiter name is actually Thel Vadam are great things to add for the casual fans.
> >
> >
> > That kind of information is more helpful than necessary though. Like I said, I’d love a codex or timeline in all future Halo games, but just going by what you said if this would have helped Halo 5, it wouldn’t have.
>
>
> Do you think I’d help future installments or hold them back because it’d become a crutch of story telling?

Depends on how they use it. I have a bad feeling 343 would probably just use it as a crutch to put all the important development in it and not actually have any of that have an impact in the story itself. I mean, I could totally see them throwing in why Cortana is really the way she is in the codex and then never bother to go through it in the campaign itself.

> 2533274812652989;3:
> It’d be convenient to have an in-game timeline or codex, but it wouldn’t have really mattered too much to make Halo 5’s story better since Halo 5 blatantly ignored everything else leading up to it anyway. At best, you’ll get a bridge between Spartan Ops to Halo 5’s first level…but then wonder why nothing that happened in that bridge mattered.

This. It’d be nice, but wouldn’t make halo 5 better.

> 2533274806711091;7:
> I still don’t know what happened to the janus key that’s such a big deal at the end of Halo 4.

It was beamed out of the plot, literally. You’re better off pretending it never happened, because that’s how 343’s rolling with it.

> 2533274833569045;4:
> I think they need to explain what happened between Halo 4 and 5. Reading a comic book is just not the way I want to experience the story. Players who don’t read extended lore have no idea who blue team even is or how they reunited. I don’t even know to be honest, the last books I read they were on a shield world with Halsey.

They got off it when halsey did. Then they met up, said hi to chief in one panel, and went on a pointless mission.

> 2533274833569045;4:
> And supposedly the didact was killed off at some point.

He didn’t die, he just got shoved into yet another box until 343 needs him, which is pretty much how h4 ended for him too.