Worried about Locke in Halo 5

I saw both the prologue and the epilogue in H2A, I am also up to date in regard to Halo Nightfall.
I want to give Locke the benefit of the doubt, but between the two cinematics and Nightfall so far I am afraid that he will not be able to live up against characters such as Chief, the Arbiter, Johnson and Cortana. I understand that what they want to do with Locke is the same approach as they did with the Arbiter, allow for a different perspective (Covenant/ONI) however… the Arbiter was the Covenant equivalent of the Chief and when voiced by the magnificent Keith Davids, he became truly impressive and able to stand alone as a well respected and liked character in the Halo mythos.
Now with Locke… he seems to try too much on trying to sound badass (more so in the cinematic than in Nightfall, where he is a lot more calm so far) and this kind of makes him stand out in a ‘bad’ way when he is surrounded by the Arbiter and the Chief and such. Especially as he will be playable and therefore play a major role in Halo 5 and potentially onwards. Palmer can be excused as she was (hopefully) a one off thing for Halo 4 and not really a major character in any sense.
As I said, I really want to give him the benefit of the doubt. He seems different in Nightfall and I am interested in his motives and how he will tie into Halo 5, but the cinematics from the actual game so far have left me a bit disappointed at how he behaves in the game (could be that he has difficulty adjusting from live action to simply voicing lines)

Other impressions?

Trying to sounds badass while standing next to Arby of chief is always going to be doomed to failure…

It makes sense he’s trying to sound badass in the intro/epilogue scenes. He’s surrounded by big aliens that don’t like him very much. They’re trying to intimidate him, and he’s doing the same. As for comparing him to the Arbiter, it is Coulter’s first time voice acting, and when you compare Locke to a character that has been around for a decade, people are going to go with what they know already. Remember how pissed everyone was when Thel first showed up? If not, they were quite so. We haven’t even seen him interact with MC yet, so nothing on that front.

Oh, and for the record, Palmer is fully entrenched in the universe now. She’s been in 4, Spartan Assault and Escalations. And they improved her character to boot.

> 2533274932540799;3:
> It makes sense he’s trying to sound badass in the intro/epilogue scenes. He’s surrounded by big aliens that don’t like him very much. They’re trying to intimidate him, and he’s doing the same. As for comparing him to the Arbiter, it is Coulter’s first time voice acting, and when you compare Locke to a character that has been around for a decade, people are going to go with what they know already. Remember how pissed everyone was when Thel first showed up? If not, they were quite so. We haven’t even seen him interact with MC yet, so nothing on that front.
>
> Oh, and for the record, Palmer is fully entrenched in the universe now. She’s been in 4, Spartan Assault and Escalations. And they improved her character to boot.

i don’t remember anyone hating arbiter but k

> 2533274944243845;4:
> > 2533274932540799;3:
> > It makes sense he’s trying to sound badass in the intro/epilogue scenes. He’s surrounded by big aliens that don’t like him very much. They’re trying to intimidate him, and he’s doing the same. As for comparing him to the Arbiter, it is Coulter’s first time voice acting, and when you compare Locke to a character that has been around for a decade, people are going to go with what they know already. Remember how pissed everyone was when Thel first showed up? If not, they were quite so. We haven’t even seen him interact with MC yet, so nothing on that front.
> >
> > Oh, and for the record, Palmer is fully entrenched in the universe now. She’s been in 4, Spartan Assault and Escalations. And they improved her character to boot.
>
>
> i don’t remember anyone hating arbiter but k

Quite a few people still do. A lot of people’s initial reaction was: “WTF, Y is dis alien here? He ain’t nothing compared to Chief, OMFG, Bungie why!!!11!!2”

And to be honest most people still react like this to changes in Halo.

He seemed fine to me. I don’t what exactly makes you think he sounds like he’s trying to be badass because it doesn’t sound like that to me at all. Just a guy focused on his mission and what needs to be done, which is exactly how he’s portrayed in Nightfall as well.

I think Colter has an amazing voice, but his lines in those cutscenes were so…forced. I think he needs to relax a litle and try to sound much more natural.

Can’t shed a light on Chief.

They should have used that generic dude, that i dont remember the name now, from SPOps.
I remember Madsen and Hoya but i dont remember generic dude. That’s sad.

> 2533274915926813;9:
> They should have used that generic dude, that i dont remember the name now, from SPOps.
> I remember Madsen and Hoya but i dont remember generic dude. That’s sad.

Do you mean Thorne?

Well, Locke’s a great character and all but he better be careful and not to attack the Chief once he finds him. Locke may be a Spartan but remember, he said he was hunting THE Spartan.