Worried about exploration

This image worries me: New Halo Infinite Campaign Screenshot Shown In Three Different PC Settings - Game Informer

I remember seeing something just like that in Halo 4 and Halo 5. I got excited because I remember architecture like that in Halo 2 and my exploration sense was tingling. A huge amount of hours I spent trying to figure out how to descent or ascend stuff we weren’t meant to. Halo 2 let you. Halo 4 and 5 had invisible/death barriers EVERYWHERE. Halo to me stopped being about exploring then, and I’m hoping that 343 finds an organic way to prevent use from going places that only the most skilled climbers can manage.

I see a variety of tall structures with no obvious way up them, you better believe I’m gonna try to figure out a way to scale them. Excited for blue beam towers, getting to the top of those in Halo CE is so much fun.

I’ll bet Bungie had absolutely no clue how players would reach the scarab gun, but they wanted to encourage the crazy grenade jumping and glitch hunting community.

If we believe 343 they really toned down with their invisible/death barriers to allow for maximum exploration capabilities.

that screenshot reminds me more of Combat evolved bridges they had when you were moving from area to area.

I’ll be happy when they get rid of the timed outbound zones

I’m pretty sure they already mentioned getting rid of those barriers

343i have actually clarified some of the information about exploration within some of their Inside Infinite blog posts.

In essence, they’ve greatly reduced invisible walls & death barriers which gives you greater freedom to move and explore Zeta Halo however you like.

With the addition of Grapple Hook, Banshees, The Wasp & more? I imagine there will be plenty of ways to get around both indoors and outside.

That screenshot actually reminds me of OG Halo and the feeling of mystic discovery.

They stated they tried their best to get rid of as many out of bounds timers that they could so I guess we’ll see how well they did.

Cue the endless complaints that you end up walking for hours across the map and find nothing but trees.

> 2533274865778947;5:
> 343i have actually clarified some of the information about exploration within some of their Inside Infinite blog posts.
>
> In essence, they’ve greatly reduced invisible walls & death barriers which gives you greater freedom to move and explore Zeta Halo however you like.
>
> With the addition of Grapple Hook, Banshees, The Wasp & more? I imagine there will be plenty of ways to get around both indoors and outside.

This is good news to hear. Exploration outside of maps was always one of the best parts of Halo. It was like trying to beat the game but in a different way. I remember spendin hours with a friend walkin around the lake after figuring out how to scale the mountain on Delta Halo in 2.

It still feels to early to say. I’d love to just have a big open Halo world to explore but from what I understand the game has more of a “open-ended” level design. Big -Yoink- maps the player can explore in, but are still individual levels. Kind of like the first Crysis game. When I hear “open-world” i think of Skyrim’s main big -Yoink- map.

If the game truly is “open-world” we should only have to worry about invisible barriers at the very edge of the map. If it’s “open-ended” I’d assume the Halo ring’s damaged state will play into the games level design. Kind of like how in the original trilogy most levels took place on some very tall plateaus. Honestly, I don’t care if the game is either or, I just pray it’s good.

> 2535425440244731;1:
> This image worries me: New Halo Infinite Campaign Screenshot Shown In Three Different PC Settings - Game Informer
>
> I remember seeing something just like that in Halo 4 and Halo 5. I got excited because I remember architecture like that in Halo 2 and my exploration sense was tingling. A huge amount of hours I spent trying to figure out how to descent or ascend stuff we weren’t meant to. Halo 2 let you. Halo 4 and 5 had invisible/death barriers EVERYWHERE. Halo to me stopped being about exploring then, and I’m hoping that 343 finds an organic way to prevent use from going places that only the most skilled climbers can manage.
>
> I see a variety of tall structures with no obvious way up them, you better believe I’m gonna try to figure out a way to scale them. Excited for blue beam towers, getting to the top of those in Halo CE is so much fun.
>
> I’ll bet Bungie had absolutely no clue how players would reach the scarab gun, but they wanted to encourage the crazy grenade jumping and glitch hunting community.

343 once said that during their playtests they struggle to find places in the game that they could NOT reach so rest assured you’ll be doing plenty of exploration just like you did in the good ol’ days!

343 also said they wanted to put a lot more emphasis on exploration in Infinite and that they’ve hidden a lot of things around the world for us players to find so exploration is definitely encouraged in this game. There could literally be some hidden lore or items in that very screenshot laying purposefully right out of sight for us to find ourselves!

I am not too worried as of yet, from what I have seen 343 has been leaning as hard as they can into the exploration mechanics and atmosphere of discovery.The removal of limiting barriers will be a huge improvement.