Working for 343...

Is it possible to work for 343 without working for game development. Not necessarily working on the website, but Public Relations, advertising side?

There probably is. You should check out the 343i jobs page.

> Is it possible to work for 343 without working for game development. Not necessarily working on the website, but Public Relations, advertising side?

Most likely, however Microsoft Game Studios probably does more on the Public Relations and advertising side would be my guess. Either way, listen to Target and check the 343i jobs page!

There are indeed other ways.

Fun Fact: I was almost contracted by 343 back in September '09 to travel with the promotional company doing the ODST Tour Truck and work the crowd/line. Somehow it fell through, but I got a t-shirt and tons of memories.

Ah, nostalgia.

Big companies are always looking for new talent if you’re good enough, even if they don’t have any openings. If you really want in, make a super-fancy CV, find out the name of the person who can hire you, and fed-ex it to them first thing Monday morning.

Or just do what Slasher did with MLG and walk into the CEO’s office every day with a new complaint about what they’re doing wrong and how to fix it :stuck_out_tongue:

> Is it possible to work for 343 without working for game development. Not necessarily working on the website, but <mark>Public Relations, advertising side?</mark>

That is a lot of what I think BS Angel does. If that is what you’re into I would defiantly pursue it.

> There are indeed other ways.
>
> Fun Fact: I was almost contracted by 343 back in September '09 to travel with the promotional company doing the ODST Tour Truck and work the crowd/line. Somehow it fell through, but I got a t-shirt and tons of memories.
>
> Ah, nostalgia.

How did you manage to get that gig?!

> Or just do what Slasher did with MLG and walk into the CEO’s office every day with a new complaint about what they’re doing wrong and how to fix it :stuck_out_tongue:

Ugh, can’t stand that guy.

Long story.

In my quest to always be first, I showed up at the ODST event super early, like always, in my local city. Redmond was the first stop on the tour, so naturally I had to be first for the country. I met tons of people at the event, including 343i members. We were granted one 10 minute session to play, but I made sure to get back in line over and over. (The first time it took 3 hours to get back to the front. The next time it took 2. So on and so on.) As I spoke with everyone there, we had many fun Halo filled conversations, and I was constantly telling people what to expect from the line to what they would be playing.

hen the night was ending (12 hours later) I was still around, actually helping the promo company shut down the truck. (Shut down = playing more after the doors were closed.) They were talking with 343 about their next stop, Portland, a 2.5 hour drive from where I lived. They joked and teased about my dedication level, and even offered me a 343 staff shirt at the next stop if I went. Needless to say, I was down there the next morning, and when the truck pulled up all everyone could do was laugh that I actually came. (Gas was cheap, and I drove a Honda Civic.)

So this time, they made sure to let everyone know of my story. After my first play through, they just made a marker of where I was in line, and made me sit at the front of the line and give people in line the rundown of what to expect. Basically, I was on crowd control. Keeping everyone entertained and answering whatever questions I could about the game, truck, event, and so on.

12 hours later I helped shut the truck down, again. This time around they joked about the next city. 10 hours from my current location. No way in hell, I said. I wasn’t about driving to California. But then one of the promo guys mentioned that none of them really knew anything about Halo, and there wouldn’t always be a 343 employee around. So he asked me, “you want a job?”

343 contacted me about it, took a week or so to do. But somehow it didn’t end up working out. Don’t know why, but oh well. It was still a crazy few days thinking about the possibility.

That’s an awesome and badass story.

> Long story.
>
> In my quest to always be first, I showed up at the ODST event super early, like always, in my local city. Redmond was the first stop on the tour, so naturally I had to be first for the country. I met tons of people at the event, including 343i members. We were granted one 10 minute session to play, but I made sure to get back in line over and over. (The first time it took 3 hours to get back to the front. The next time it took 2. So on and so on.) As I spoke with everyone there, we had many fun Halo filled conversations, and I was constantly telling people what to expect from the line to what they would be playing.
>
> hen the night was ending (12 hours later) I was still around, actually helping the promo company shut down the truck. (Shut down = playing more after the doors were closed.) They were talking with 343 about their next stop, Portland, a 2.5 hour drive from where I lived. They joked and teased about my dedication level, and even offered me a 343 staff shirt at the next stop if I went. Needless to say, I was down there the next morning, and when the truck pulled up all everyone could do was laugh that I actually came. (Gas was cheap, and I drove a Honda Civic.)
>
> So this time, they made sure to let everyone know of my story. After my first play through, they just made a marker of where I was in line, and made me sit at the front of the line and give people in line the rundown of what to expect. Basically, I was on crowd control. Keeping everyone entertained and answering whatever questions I could about the game, truck, event, and so on.
>
> 12 hours later I helped shut the truck down, again. This time around they joked about the next city. 10 hours from my current location. No way in hell, I said. I wasn’t about driving to California. But then one of the promo guys mentioned that none of them really knew anything about Halo, and there wouldn’t always be a 343 employee around. So he asked me, “you want a job?”
>
> 343 contacted me about it, took a week or so to do. But somehow it didn’t end up working out. Don’t know why, but oh well. It was still a crazy few days thinking about the possibility.

That sounds amazing. If that’s what it takes to get a job at 343i, I’m getting in my car to camp outside of their studio for the next year.

Ha no that was mostly chance and circumstance. Also understand that this was a different 343i. Way smaller than what they are today.

The best part about the game industry is that it combines people of all specialties to product a final product.

Artists, programmers, network designers, sound producers, writers, sfx crews, film crews, test, advertisement, and just about everything else you can think of.

I myself am a Junior in college going to school to earn a degree in Computer Information Science, and I’m currently getting my testing resume out to a game test contractor whom works with MGS and 343i. Hopefully, they’ll help me get my foot in the door, and then I can move forward through the company.

Ideally, I myself aim to be a part of the user interface design team, or SDET. I believe that my experience and skill could really help the success of future titles.

> The best part about the game industry is that it combines people of all specialties to product a final product.
>
> Artists, programmers, network designers, sound producers, writers, sfx crews, film crews, test, advertisement, and just about everything else you can think of.
>
> I myself am a Junior in college going to school to earn a degree in Computer Information Science, and I’m currently getting my testing resume out to a game test contractor whom works with MGS and 343i. Hopefully, they’ll help me get my foot in the door, and then I can move forward through the company. <mark>Awesome, that would be great if you could get your foot in the door. The best of luck to you. :)</mark>
>
> Ideally, I myself aim to be a part of the user interface design team, or SDET. I believe that my experience and skill could really help the success of future titles.

> The best part about the game industry is that it combines people of all specialties to product a final product.
>
> Artists, programmers, network designers, sound producers, writers, sfx crews, film crews, test, advertisement, and just about everything else you can think of.
>
> I myself am a Junior in college going to school to earn a degree in Computer Information Science, and I’m currently getting my testing resume out to a game test contractor whom works with MGS and 343i. Hopefully, they’ll help me get my foot in the door, and then I can move forward through the company.
>
> Ideally, I myself aim to be a part of the user interface design team, or SDET. I believe that my experience and skill could really help the success of future titles.

This is why Assassin’s Creed got me paying more attention to the developmental process. The amount of source material and accurate historical content was just mesmerizing.

I also found out that not long after Assassin’s 2 was announced and displaying the concept art of Florence, Romanga/Forli and Venice, there were a few notations that more people started taking classes for historians based on their experience with the first game and interest in the second. That’s quite a feat for a game to enact on fans.