With no loadouts, what will you spawn with?

I hope they bring back SMG’s/plasma rifles and have a focus on dual wielding with close quarters combat on smaller maps.
Does anybody else think long range rifles should be considered power weapons?
I think it adds more strategic elements in gameplay with more of a skill gap for players. Sprinting really complicates things, maybe balance it out by disabling sprint when dual wielding.
Imagine dual wielding bolt shots, or bring back the maulers lol. I want more diverse gamplay, not just br’s vs dmr’s long range battles.
Just my 2 cents, im sure alot of people will disagree with me.

SMG/Assault Rifle starts destroy skill gap. They’re inflexible weapons. In an SMG vs. SMG fight, either person could walk away solely by luck of the weapon’s spread. If weapons like the DMR were placed on the map as power weapons, then controlling them would leave those who die completely hopeless.

I prefer BR/DMR starts, but for the typical Team Slayer matches, Halo 3 had it right for the most part - AR/Pistol starts with an abundance of quickly respawning BRs and Carbines on the map.

You can’t really classify long range rifles as power weapons, which are generally one hit kills utilized properly.
SMG starts, maybe a magnum to give more range.

> SMG/Assault Rifle starts destroy skill gap. They’re inflexible weapons. In an SMG vs. SMG fight, either person could walk away solely by luck of the weapon’s spread. If weapons like the DMR were placed on the map as power weapons, then controlling them would leave those who die completely hopeless.
>
> I prefer BR/DMR starts, but for the typical Team Slayer matches, Halo 3 had it right for the most part - AR/Pistol starts with an abundance of quickly respawning BRs and Carbines on the map.

With the sheer amount of new weapons introduced in Halo 4, not to mention weapons scrapped from halo 3, adding lots of weapon pick-ups on the map would just add more strategy to gameplay imo. spawning with just an SMG makes more sense in creating more of a skill gap, rather than spawning instantly with a 4 hit kill from across the map.
Also, Halo 5 will have “spartan abilities” making close quarters combat more in depth. an smg vs smg battle could be interesting

I’ve never liked AR/SMG-only starts. I like to be able to contribute immediately upon spawn, not run around the map for 30 seconds looking for a decent weapon.

> I’ve never liked AR/SMG-only starts. I like to be able to contribute immediately upon spawn, not run around the map for 30 seconds looking for a decent weapon.

Same here.
Hopefully we’ll be able to start with BR and/or CC. The rest is negligible to me.

The only way a Halo game should start…
BR n frag.

BR starts, no secondary for ranked
BR/AR starts for social.

The whole idea of competitive is to be a competent force from the spawn and the best way to do that is to have the precision weapon on spawn so you can ping the people who have snipers and other long range weapons so you aren’t a sitting duck (This is assuming they are in fact bringing descope back) after you die and you have a chance at getting back into the game relatively quickly.

Social isn’t as competitive, so having that AR in there will do wonders for the less skilled people who just want to have fun and don’t care about rank. It’s less precise, but you can control it easier. That’s the tradeoff between the two.

I wouldn’t mind seeing some classic gametypes like team duals, or classic AR/Magnum starts, but I feel this is how the game should start out.

I played tons of mlg. I still don’t have a problem with the ar. In halo3 if you strafed and burst fire you would usually kill pretty decent.

fixed loadouts…BR/Cc starts…

Loadout A

BR
Pistol
x2 frags

Loadout B

CC
Pistol
x2 frags

> I played tons of mlg. I still don’t have a problem with the ar. In halo3 if you strafed and burst fire you would usually kill pretty decent.

If you can get kills like that then you aren’t under pressure to perform. It is almost impossible to come back from an AR game on The Pit because your opponents are lining up across the middle with your BRs and you just can’t retaliate at all. That is not enjoyable, it quite frankly just sucks.

BRs should be the starting weapon and ARs should be secondaries, but weapons like the Plasma Rifle, Mauler, Brute Shot or SMG should all be worth taking. I will always take another weapon over my AR because I will never fire an AR if I have a BR and weapons do have their own merits, but they could perhaps do with being buffed a little.

Halo 3’s AR-only starts resulted in gameplay being reduced to constant death-charges and the person who happened to come across a BR or a CC on the map absolutely dominating due to how most engagements are heavily biased towards mid-range.

Either we can inflate the ranges, or we can just have precision starts.

Actually, let’s inflate the ranges to allow more use of CQC engagements and, AND, have BR+AR/CC+SR starts. There’s much more interesting combat to be given there.

Also, since we’re ditching the Magnum as a starting weapon, bring back the CE Magnum, decrease the range, and place it on the map.

I’m confused. When did 343 confirm that there won’t be loadouts?

> I’m confused. When did 343 confirm that there won’t be loadouts?

They haven’t. All that they said was that they’re removing Armor Abilities and are having more emphasis on arena-style gameplay, neither of which confirm the removal or continuation of personal loadouts,

> Halo 3’s AR-only starts resulted in gameplay being reduced to constant death-charges and the person who happened to come across a BR or a CC on the map absolutely dominating due to how most engagements are heavily biased towards mid-range.
>
> Either we can inflate the ranges, or we can just have precision starts.
>
> Actually, <mark>let’s inflate the ranges to allow more use of CQC engagements</mark> and, AND, have BR+AR/CC+SR starts. There’s much more interesting combat to be given there.
>
> Also, since we’re ditching the Magnum as a starting weapon, bring back the CE Magnum, decrease the range, and place it on the map.

So you want to make the ranges longer, but more CQC? That seems to be counter productive. And in case you don’t remember, H4 has some of the longest ranges with the DMR and LR and people who had one, sat back and just picked people off all day. Not really an experience that I want Halo to get back to. H2 and H3 distances were pretty good and CQC was actually existent.

But I do agree with the starts you mentioned. Let everyone have an equal chance off the spawn. That’s always a good formula for everyone having fun.

> > I’m confused. When did 343 confirm that there won’t be loadouts?
>
> They haven’t. All that they said was that they’re removing Armor Abilities and are having more emphasis on arena-style gameplay, neither of which confirm the removal or continuation of personal loadouts,

They didn’t? Then what is this?

> > Halo 3’s AR-only starts resulted in gameplay being reduced to constant death-charges and the person who happened to come across a BR or a CC on the map absolutely dominating due to how most engagements are heavily biased towards mid-range.
> >
> > Either we can inflate the ranges, or we can just have precision starts.
> >
> > Actually, <mark>let’s inflate the ranges to allow more use of CQC engagements</mark> and, AND, have BR+AR/CC+SR starts. There’s much more interesting combat to be given there.
> >
> > Also, since we’re ditching the Magnum as a starting weapon, bring back the CE Magnum, decrease the range, and place it on the map.
>
> So you want to make the ranges longer, but more CQC? That seems to be counter productive.

By “inflating the ranges,” I’m referring to increasing all weapon ranges to compensate for the larger map sizes, which causes almost all battles being mid-range. With longer hallways and wider spaces, there’s far more mid-to-long range spaces than close-range spaces, and, if you give an all-around buff in range, you’ll decrease that gap.

> And in case you don’t remember, H4 has some of the longest ranges with the DMR and LR and people who had one, sat back and just picked people off all day.

And in case you aren’t aware, that’s because the maps are LARGER. That has nothing to do with the ranges of the weapons themselves. However, if you give an all-around range buff, for all weapons, even melee, that won’t be an issue.

> H2 and H3 distances were pretty good and CQC was actually existent.

But a lot of maps still heavily favored mid-range except for a select few.

> > > I’m confused. When did 343 confirm that there won’t be loadouts?
> >
> > They haven’t. All that they said was that they’re removing Armor Abilities and are having more emphasis on arena-style gameplay, neither of which confirm the removal or continuation of personal loadouts,
>
> They didn’t? Then what is this?

Speculation.

> > > I’m confused. When did 343 confirm that there won’t be loadouts?
> >
> > They haven’t. All that they said was that they’re removing Armor Abilities and are having more emphasis on arena-style gameplay, neither of which confirm the removal or continuation of personal loadouts,
>

That is an article that I had never read nor heard of until now.

A presumptive and attention-grabbing headline based on vague statements from 343i. All we know for sure is:

1. The beta will focus on “equal starts,” which could mean either same spawn weapons or choices of weapons within the same role (e.g. choice between BR and CC).
  2. Halo 5 will not have Armor Abilities.