Wish Halo 5 AI squad commanding was better...

It probably will never be fixed because probably no one wants to play the Halo 5 campaign or that 343 are more wanting to upgrade multiplayer but for me, I wish they at least put an effort into making the AI commanding.

When they release the news of commanding your units, I was excited because that meant no more picking up weapons and giving them to marines or honking the Warthog for them to get in. But now, I don’t want AI squad commanding in Halo 6 unless they upgrade it! They made us envision it to be like Republic Commando but it is nothing like that. I try use them professionally on a legendary campaign run but the Squad AI require too much attention to use. You can tell them to walk somewhere but once they are there and you look away, they just come running back at you seconds later. And telling them to pick up weapons or get in warthogs get so much harder that if you want them to each get a weapon, sometimes the same unit just keeps picking up and trading its weapons over and over. Most importantly they sometimes don’t even use the weapon!! Lastly, when they get in a vehicle because TIP: On any difficulty, the vehicle will be a bit stronger when an AI boards it other than you. if you go too far away from them, they just get out on their own and run to you. And that isn’t fun…

Some people might not care and that doesn’t matter. But if they really want to implement a Squad AI Command system for Halo6… they got to make them less… stupid. And I hope they will do that because it has it’s potential.

Yep, my favorite thing I was trying the get the Enemy of My Enemy achievement. Sending my AI’s across the map so they wouldn’t kill the Elite, once they reached their destination they just came running back.

It actually surprised me how bad the AI was. I get that it was the first time 343i attempted it, but just like the whole game in general… It was rushed.

Yeah… when I did the legendary campaign I just pretended I was solo same with co-op Legendary (well with the ai, not my friend(s))
but like sometimes I go down (on heroic or something) I tell them to heal me and they just stand next to me and die :joy::sob::joy:

i agree. i played republic commando afer h5 (bc you mentioned it) and the squad AI was actually good. it worked really well. and now i’m wondering, that a game which came out about 10 years later can have a worse squad AI (adding on to that, the removal of split screen, a signature feature of halo)

i really stoped using the AI after a while (except from reviving me). and because you mentioned them picking up weapons: more than once i’ve seen them using plasma pistols, while carrying a fuel rod gun or a sniper rifel or maybe just a battle rifle on their back…

if you can’t make a good squad AI, don’ implement squad AI gameplay (probably it’s in there so you want to play coop and your friend has to buy an xbox + the game too… the same reason for removing splitscreen i belive )

Plays nothing like Republic Commando since the squad system in Halo 5 is so rudimentary and limited that they become glorified marines except with the equivalence of a player. Their friendly AI is garbage in decision making, pathing and response to commands, reducing their overall fidelity and usefulness. I have only used them for revives (which that’s a coin toss due to the AI), pack mules for weapons except for select situations and focus firing (which even that doesn’t work).
The squad system also changes the overall sandbox of the game which 343 didn’t account for properly such as enemy numbers, spawn locations and balancing. Due to this, most enemies are bullet sponges, you’re almost as weak as Halo 2 Master Chief in Legendary and most weapons in the game are borderline useless (looking at most of the UNSC weapons).

I can honestly agree with all of this. Compared to Halo: Reach and its AIs, Halo 5: Guardians just kind of…falls short. Even with the added healing system, there’s so many things that can cause a snag and your AI don’t get to you in time and you die. And even though you couldn’t swap weapons with them in Reach, at least NOBLE’s AIs knew how to use their weapons… Not to mention but the Spartan AIs are invincible, which Halo 5’s Spartan AIs should be, unless that particular character is selected in online multiplayer campaign.

I recall a number of times sitting in the bleed out state waiting for friendly AI to perform a revive and then watching everyone just die. I couldn’t help but think it would have been better to just ignore the mechanic and let me just start again.

An interesting mechanic and I wonder how it will be considered for H6?

> 2533274805696963;8:
> I recall a number of times sitting in the bleed out state waiting for friendly AI to perform a revive and then watching everyone just die. I couldn’t help but think it would have been better to just ignore the mechanic and let me just start again.
>
> An interesting mechanic and I wonder how it will be considered for H6?

I forgot about that. I hate how when you die, they just drop everything and come to you no matter where you are. Meaning you’re behind a bunch of knights? Naw don’t worry Tanaka is coming right through the- “I’m down, help!”

The AI in Halo 5 need more variety than picking up a weapon, mounting turrets, and attack and move. They don’t even have an animation in a fight. Just stand and shoot and if they get close, they just spartan charge. They need to do something.