will we ever get a real halo RTS?

So, i just finished watching the E3 trailer where some gameplay is shown. I am all for a halo RTS, what i am not for, is the exact same trash RTS that will sell only on brand recognition. I noticed it still appears that bases are STILL restricted to 4 defense turrets, STILL restricted to only 5-7 construction pads instead of free base building. Im going to check it out ASAP once my download finishes, and i hope to god its the RTS that halo deserves. Seeing as its also going to be on PC, how do you guys think it will hold up against classic RTS games and newer ones? I have talked alot to friends about this, we all feel like halo was abused when halo wars 1 came out because of the lack of depth the game had as an RTS title, we all felt like it was a cash grab, any RTS veterans feeling the same way?

I think we just got it. Don’t forget that the Season Pass includes more units, leaders, and campaign missions. This is definitely an improvement from the first Halo Wars.

I have to agree. I really wished they could have expanded on Halo as an RTS into a much more and bigger RTS in general. There is no free building and i see that as a huge lost potential. I don’t know if there are any defensive structures you can build that isn’t just your regular 4 base turrets. We’ll see shortly. However i must say that i don’t hate how they did, only disappointed.

I guess i learned a lesson which is, when it is about CA creating games that isn’t their own ip, never expect much difference. Total War: Warhammer and Halo Wars 2 is now proof of that sadly enough but hey. I’m sure i will enjoy Halo Wars 2 still. I will just have to continue waiting for the kind of Halo RTS we all know Halo deserves.

I would really love an Age of Empires style, really loved that sort of RTS.

Static base locations are what makes Halo Wars fit on the console. Have you read Ensemble Studio’s dev blog? If not, I suggest you do before you claim to know what’s best for the game. What we saw in 2007 had non-static base locations. What we got in 2009 had static base locations. Ensemble had a lot of time to make Halo Wars. They knew what they had to do to make it work. And guess what? Halo Wars was the most successful Console RTS created. Good reviews and feedback, good sales, highly praised control scheme, etc.

Halo Wars was intentionally dumbed down, as it should have been and as its successor should be as well. There is a vast difference between a Console RTS and an RTS, whether you want to believe it or not.

Get out

> 2533274808132968;4:
> I would really love an Age of Empires style, really loved that sort of RTS.

Oh i would love that too.

> 2535452784065270;5:
> Static base locations are what makes Halo Wars fit on the console. Have you read Ensemble Studio’s dev blog? If not, I suggest you do before you claim to know what’s best for the game. What we saw in 2007 had non-static base locations. What we got in 2009 had static base locations. Ensemble had a lot of time to make Halo Wars. They knew what they had to do to make it work. And guess what? Halo Wars was the most successful Console RTS created. Good reviews and feedback, good sales, highly praised control scheme, etc.
>
> Halo Wars was intentionally dumbed down, as it should have been and as its successor should be as well. There is a vast difference between a Console RTS and an RTS, whether you want to believe it or not.

You are correct and don’t see our different opinions as something negative. We don’t think and believe what is better than what. It’s all about taste. I personally want more and let’s be fair. C&C 3 which has base building works fine on console. I have played it on both PC and Console and i have never had any issues with it. Free base building isn’t something that is impossible for a Console RTS game. It works fine. Only reason why Halo Wars 1 has such great controls is because how simple of an RTS it is. C&C 3 works fine with what it is.

> 2535452784065270;5:
> Static base locations are what makes Halo Wars fit on the console. Have you read Ensemble Studio’s dev blog? If not, I suggest you do before you claim to know what’s best for the game. What we saw in 2007 had non-static base locations. What we got in 2009 had static base locations. Ensemble had a lot of time to make Halo Wars. They knew what they had to do to make it work. And guess what? Halo Wars was the most successful Console RTS created. Good reviews and feedback, good sales, highly praised control scheme, etc.
> Halo Wars was intentionally dumbed down, as it should have been and as its successor should be as well. There is a vast difference between a Console RTS and an RTS, whether you want to believe it or not.

Halo wars is the most successful console RTS created, wanna know why? because it said HALO on the box. First of all, static bases… you ever played kanes wrath on xbox 360? free base building, on console… game worked just as great as it did on pc, praised control scheme? yeahhhh… about that, guess who they most likely ripped it from? The RTS that the developers didnt have to dumb down, the RTS that i believe released a year before halo wars and performed better in every aspect. there is ZERO difference between a console RTS and PC RTS other than peripheral, and peripheral control,(hardware limitation too, but again, look at Kanes wrath on pc, then look at it on xbox 360 and tell me where they compromised) and with RAZER coming out with a keyboard and mouse compatible for xbox one, it seems that that gap is about to be closed, so no, i will not accept that just because its a different platform, we should be dished out a bad game.
EDIT: Take off the halo skin and objectively look at the mechanics and gameplay of halo wars 1, what do you see as an rts when you strip away the halo title and sayyy, replace it with generic non related skin, say bungie would have never put their name on it… now take that, and look at it side by side with Red alert 3 or even Kanes Wrath both on 360… better non restricted base building, (just like most popular RTS games), non restricted and pathetic… was it 30 unit capacity? unit variety? halo wars was so badly held back it is embarrassing, because they didnt have to hold back, they could have made a FANTASTIC RTS, and instead, they settled for objectively mediocre at best.

EDIT: and people ate it up, because MUHHHFUKKKIINNNN HALO BROO!!! GET HYPEDDDDDDD

> 2533274861556949;7:
> > 2533274808132968;4:
> > I would really love an Age of Empires style, really loved that sort of RTS.
>
>
> Oh i would love that too.
>
>
> > 2535452784065270;5:
> > Static base locations are what makes Halo Wars fit on the console. Have you read Ensemble Studio’s dev blog? If not, I suggest you do before you claim to know what’s best for the game. What we saw in 2007 had non-static base locations. What we got in 2009 had static base locations. Ensemble had a lot of time to make Halo Wars. They knew what they had to do to make it work. And guess what? Halo Wars was the most successful Console RTS created. Good reviews and feedback, good sales, highly praised control scheme, etc.
> >
> > Halo Wars was intentionally dumbed down, as it should have been and as its successor should be as well. There is a vast difference between a Console RTS and an RTS, whether you want to believe it or not.
>
>
> You are correct and don’t see our different opinions as something negative. We don’t think and believe what is better than what. It’s all about taste. I personally want more and let’s be fair. C&C 3 which has base building works fine on console. I have played it on both PC and Console and i have never had any issues with it. Free base building isn’t something that is impossible for a Console RTS game. It works fine. Only reason why Halo Wars 1 has such great controls is because how simple of an RTS it is. C&C 3 works fine with what it is.

It’s not really you that I take issue with. Or even your opinion. We could debate about what’s best for HW 2 all day. But what really sets me off… Look at the title of this thread. “Will Halo ever get a real Halo RTS?” The OP says that HW was a cash grab and abused the Halo community, claiming that HW 2 will only sell off of name recognition. I know (based off of my reading of Ensemble’s dev blog (which I HIGHLY suggest the OP read)) that there was a lot of effort put into Halo Wars. It was a well crafted game that was rebuked by RTS players because of it’s simplicity. Pure snobbery. It was rebuked by FPS players because they bought it expecting a First Person Shooter. Pure ignorance. However, there were also many people who appreciated it for what it was. A great game made by passionate people.

Now I hear bickering about it not being good enough and how the Halo community “deserves” better. I would call it insulting, but that’s not quite accurate. It’s more like desecration. Have whatever opinion you want, but if you word it in such a way that spits in the face of those that you should be grateful for, I’m not going to agree with you whether we share the same opinion or not.

I’m just going to wait for l The Rudy l to show up and prove you wrong on this.

> 2535442434512039;8:
> > 2535452784065270;5:
> > Snip
>
>
> Halo wars is the most successful console RTS created, wanna know why? because it said HALO on the box. First of all, static bases… you ever played kanes wrath on xbox 360? free base building, on console… game worked just as great as it did on pc, praised control scheme? yeahhhh… about that, guess who they most likely ripped it from? The RTS that the developers didnt have to dumb down, the RTS that i believe released a year before halo wars and performed better in every aspect. there is ZERO difference between a console RTS and PC RTS other than peripheral, and peripheral control,(hardware limitation too, but again, look at Kanes wrath on pc, then look at it on xbox 360 and tell me where they compromised) and with RAZER coming out with a keyboard and mouse compatible for xbox one, it seems that that gap is about to be closed, so no, i will not accept that just because its a different platform, we should be dished out a bad game.

You are very correct about the parts i made bold haha. RTS as we all know is not popular, even less on consoles and that is why the console RTS games never sold well even with Halo Wars 1s standards being a Halo game. Halo Wars 1 is the lowest selling Halo game. Like the man or woman i am quoting says, Halo Wars became the most selling RTS game on console because of it being a Halo game and that is true. Keyboard and Mouse support definitely beats down the “You can’t have a free base building RTS game on Consoles” argument even though free base building works fine with a controller as has been proven.

> 2535452784065270;9:
> > 2533274861556949;7:
> > > 2533274808132968;4:
> > > I would really love an Age of Empires style, really loved that sort of RTS.
> >
> >
> > Oh i would love that too.
> >
> >
> > > 2535452784065270;5:
> > > Static base locations are what makes Halo Wars fit on the console. Have you read Ensemble Studio’s dev blog? If not, I suggest you do before you claim to know what’s best for the game. What we saw in 2007 had non-static base locations. What we got in 2009 had static base locations. Ensemble had a lot of time to make Halo Wars. They knew what they had to do to make it work. And guess what? Halo Wars was the most successful Console RTS created. Good reviews and feedback, good sales, highly praised control scheme, etc.
> > >
> > > Halo Wars was intentionally dumbed down, as it should have been and as its successor should be as well. There is a vast difference between a Console RTS and an RTS, whether you want to believe it or not.
> >
> >
> > You are correct and don’t see our different opinions as something negative. We don’t think and believe what is better than what. It’s all about taste. I personally want more and let’s be fair. C&C 3 which has base building works fine on console. I have played it on both PC and Console and i have never had any issues with it. Free base building isn’t something that is impossible for a Console RTS game. It works fine. Only reason why Halo Wars 1 has such great controls is because how simple of an RTS it is. C&C 3 works fine with what it is.
>
>
> It’s not really you that I take issue with. Or even your opinion. We could debate about what’s best for HW 2 all day. But what really sets me off… Look at the title of this thread. “Will Halo ever get a real Halo RTS?” The OP says that HW was a cash grab and abused the Halo community, claiming that HW 2 will only sell off of name recognition. I know (based off of my reading of Ensemble’s dev blog (which I HIGHLY suggest the OP read)) that there was a lot of effort put into Halo Wars. It was a well crafted game that was rebuked by RTS players because of it’s simplicity. Pure snobbery. It was rebuked by FPS players because they bought it expecting a First Person Shooter. Pure ignorance. However, there were also many people who appreciated it for what it was. A great game made by passionate people.
>
> Now I hear bickering about it not being good enough and how the Halo community “deserves” better. I would call it insulting, but that’s not quite accurate. It’s more like desecration. Have whatever opinion you want, but if you word it in such a way that spits in the face of those that you should be grateful for, I’m not going to agree with you whether we share the same opinion or not.

Who should we be grateful for? the people that get outsourced projects from 343? i loved bungie and i love 343, all the way i have always supported them, who do i not support? the people who think its a great idea to hand over (if even momentarily) the halo IP to companies that should never be trusted with it, do i even need to mention MCC? if they want to branch out and make an RTS, MAKE IT IN HOUSE, show that they care enough for it to make it themselves instead of throwing it onto the lap of someone else, so you can make some “hard earned” money while you focus on what makes the franchise what it is.

> 2533274861556949;11:
> > 2535442434512039;8:
> > > 2535452784065270;5:
> > > Snip
> >
> >
> > Halo wars is the most successful console RTS created, wanna know why? because it said HALO on the box. First of all, static bases… you ever played kanes wrath on xbox 360? free base building, on console… game worked just as great as it did on pc, praised control scheme? yeahhhh… about that, guess who they most likely ripped it from? The RTS that the developers didnt have to dumb down, the RTS that i believe released a year before halo wars and performed better in every aspect. there is ZERO difference between a console RTS and PC RTS other than peripheral, and peripheral control,(hardware limitation too, but again, look at Kanes wrath on pc, then look at it on xbox 360 and tell me where they compromised) and with RAZER coming out with a keyboard and mouse compatible for xbox one, it seems that that gap is about to be closed, so no, i will not accept that just because its a different platform, we should be dished out a bad game.
>
>
> You are very correct about the parts i made bold haha. RTS as we all know is not popular, even less on consoles and that is why the console RTS games never sold well even with Halo Wars 1s standards being a Halo game. Halo Wars 1 is the lowest selling Halo game. Like the man or woman i am quoting says, Halo Wars became the most selling RTS game on console because of it being a Halo game and that is true. Keyboard and Mouse support definitely beats down the “You can’t have a free base building RTS game on Consoles” argument even though free base building works fine with a controller as has been proven.

Okay, fine, I concede. I’m not so hard headed as to go on arguing. But, I don’t see how the Halo community deserved any better. Or how Halo Wars was a cash grab. I’ve played it for 7 years and never stopped having fun.

> 2535452784065270;9:
> > 2533274861556949;7:
> > Snip
>
>
> It’s not really you that I take issue with. Or even your opinion. We could debate about what’s best for HW 2 all day. But what really sets me off… Look at the title of this thread. “Will Halo ever get a real Halo RTS?” The OP says that HW was a cash grab and abused the Halo community, claiming that HW 2 will only sell off of name recognition. I know (based off of my reading of Ensemble’s dev blog (which I HIGHLY suggest the OP read)) that there was a lot of effort put into Halo Wars. It was a well crafted game that was rebuked by RTS players because of it’s simplicity. Pure snobbery. It was rebuked by FPS players because they bought it expecting a First Person Shooter. Pure ignorance. However, there were also many people who appreciated it for what it was. A great game made by passionate people.
> Now I hear bickering about it not being good enough and how the Halo community “deserves” better. I would call it insulting, but that’s not quite accurate. It’s more like desecration. Have whatever opinion you want, but if you word it in such a way that spits in the face of those that you should be grateful for, I’m not going to agree with you whether we share the same opinion or not.

Don’t get me wrong. I am not trying to argue with you. I agree the title is not exactly a nice one and i personally never wrote what i wrote based of it. The reason why i say “deserve” is because Halo Wars is a very simple and small RTS game. The Halo universe is HUGE. It is one of the most perfect universes for having a big and fleshed out RTS game. Halo Wars 1 is none of both. There is so much more that can be done and i personally hope to see it eventually. I also hope to see Halo Wars 2 being fleshed out and bigger than the first one for the kind of RTS style it is and so far it seems to be the case which is good. I’m not gonna judge HW 2 yet about it being too small and simple like HW 1 but it doesn’t change the fact that Halo Wars 1 is very simple and small for its genre, especially for it being in the Halo Universe.

Halo Wars 1 is a fun game and i have played it for many years. My favorite genre is RTS. I simply want a RTS game that Halo can easily give with its huge universe. AoE yes, C&C give me, SoaSE oh yeah, Homeworld sweet, Stellaris yeah why not, SW EaW oh my, CoH yum and etc. There is so much that can be done, so so much. Halo Wars 2 being a bigger and more improved version of HW 1 is ok. It’s fine. Oh and yes i was self centered by saying that HW 2 would not be a Halo RTS game we all deserve. When i have yet to play it but i was actually thinking about HW 1 while typing that and i am not wrong in that statemate. I mean HW 1 not being a good RTS game especially for its genre and universe, a fun game nonetheless though.

> 2533274883849234;10:
> I’m just going to wait for l The Rudy l to show up and prove you wrong on this.

yeah? i would love for that to happen too, unfortunately, the original halo wars cant be proven to have all the core mechanics and support of a full, non “dumbed down” RTS, and i fear this new one wont either, but as i said, im downloading and il check it out because i dont want it to be as bad as the first.

I would argue, but i believe Rudy would like a word with you. Monkeuxmoo, please grab the popcorn in preperation.

Halo Wars was definitely not a cash grab imo and was an amazing accomplishment for an RTS on a console. It was a worthy addition to the Halo game series.

Halo Wars was great on console for a simple RTS. But there is so much possiblity with the X1. This looks so much like a reskin of the first Halo Wars. Unit limits and simpl bases. C&C was great on Xbox. Wish HW2 would take more from that then the original Halo Wars.

> 2533274907512096;16:
> I would argue, but i believe Rudy would like a word with you. Monkeuxmoo, please grab the popcorn in preperation.

So because somebody is good at a game, means that said game must be good? LOL tell that to all the people who played colonial marines, go ahead, ask if a pro FPS player thinks colonial marines a good game. so dumb… so please, argue

> 2533274805830926;18:
> Halo Wars was great on console for a simple RTS. But there is so much possiblity with the X1. This looks so much like a reskin of the first Halo Wars. Unit limits and simpl bases. C&C was great on Xbox. Wish HW2 would take more from that then the original Halo Wars.

same here man, i was thinking they would after microsoft pulled a cease and desist on this command and conquer mod http://www.moddb.com/mods/halo-evolutions AND THEN STARTED DEVELOPING HALO WARS 1

EDIT: sorry thats a wrong link, for a new mod people are working on for command and conquer, its this one that microsoft pulled the cease and desist http://www.halopedia.org/Halogen (they didnt want anyone to make a good halo themed RTS because they were about to announce a bad one :P)