Will we be able to drive wraiths in campaign?

New here, so just asking a simple question.

I’d have to say no. :confused:

I believe that you wont considering it wasn’t operable in Halo CE. Same thing goes to Fuel Rod being unusable since it wasn’t operable in CE

> Same thing goes to Fuel Rod being unusable since it wasn’t operable in CE

PC Version it was.

> > Same thing goes to Fuel Rod being unusable since it wasn’t operable in CE
>
> PC Version it was.

Even in the PC version you could not use it in campaign. You could however use it in multiplayer on the PC version.

I don’t see why not. The Wraith doesn’t affect the AI. They are extremely cautious about making changes to AI as seen in the Grunt funeral info.

But making the Wraith usable would only add a new option, nothing more (I mean come on, AotCR is supposed to be the ultimate vehicle level of Halo. Even Banshees were usable).

It cannot negatively impact the game because it is balanced (Wraith mortars don’t do much damage, Wraith is very slow, it’s hard to aim with it and use it on closer enemies, although this actually makes using it require a great deal of skill, and it’s health is comparable to the Ghost’s and Banshee’s) and it only appears on a few (very few) levels (Truth and Reconciliation doesn’t count, because those weren’t vehicles. Those were scenery items. Wraiths exist on that level, but they didn’t spawn).

Making the Wraith usable is the same thing as adding terminals.

Tell you what. I’ll upload a video showing all my claims to be true.

Edit:

The only levels in which you could flip them (and you could even get an unmanned Wraith) was AotCR and Two Betrayals. They were the only levels Wraiths appeared in.

> I don’t see why not. The Wraith doesn’t affect the AI. They are extremely cautious about making changes to AI as seen in the Grunt funeral info.
>
> But making the Wraith usable would only add a new option, nothing more (I mean come on, AotCR is supposed to be the ultimate vehicle level of Halo. Even Banshees were usable).
>
> It cannot negatively impact the game because it is balanced (Wraith mortars don’t do much damage, Wraith is very slow, it’s hard to aim with it and use it on closer enemies, although this actually makes using it require a great deal of skill, and it’s health is comparable to the Ghost’s and Banshee’s) and it only appears on a few (very few) levels (Truth and Reconciliation doesn’t count, because those weren’t vehicles. Those were scenery items. Wraiths exist on that level, but they didn’t spawn).
>
> The only level in which you could flip them (and you could even get an unmanned Wraith) was AotCR. On Two Betrayals, there were a bunch of piloted Wraiths, but could you flip them with the Banshee without taking any damage? I think not.
>
> Making the Wraith usable is the same thing as adding terminals.
>
> Tell you what. I’ll upload a video showing all my claims to be true.

This. But in respect to the original campaign, I think it’ll still be disabled by default. I’d imagine there being an easter egg or something - like on the last level of ODST in four-player cooperative mode on Legendary with Iron on; the near-infinite Rocket Launchers and Mongooses - where a Wraith will be hidden somewhere, or it’ll be a toggle. I just can’t imagine them advertising “This is the EXACT game you remember, simply with new graphics!” and then changing something; anything about it, while publicly maintaining the no-change facade. That would draw massive criticism from some of the closer-minded people (no flak intended for them, however). Bottom line, the original experience has to be there, completely intact; good features and bad, as the default setting. That is not disputable.

That said, I will still adamantly maintain that customization to a big extent should be the name of the game here. That’s a little odd, granted, as campaign customization has never gone beyond skulls and meta-scoring before. But I think we could break some ground in re-releasing a ten-year-old game, ironically, and pave the way for some even bigger progress in Halo 4 somehow. For instance, I’d appreciate a Wraith that I can drive. That said, I would also appreciate playing through the campaign without that sometimes. I’d also appreciate that out of the Energy Sword and Fuel Rod Gun, but again, the original experience is still important to me. The simple solution is to somehow make these into toggles (hopefully the skulls wouldn’t be the outlet for all of these toggles, however, as that would clutter our selection and step on the toes of the Mythic community).

The toggles we would see in Anniversary would be odd. In digging up a game from ten years ago and trying to modernize it without actually adding any modern features, 343 Industries has opened up the way for odd toggles. To people who haven’t played Combat Evolved but are familiar with any following Halo FPS, it would be weird to discover the customization options and see the drivable Wraiths and player-wielded Energy Swords and Fuel Rod Guns as toggles. More to the point, it would be weird for them to see these switched off by default. But that’s just the nature of resurrecting a game while trying not to “ruin” it.

I honestly don’t know what else about our campaign could be customizable, besides these few weapons/vehicles. That said, it’s not my job to come up with such things; it’s 343 Industries’ job. Here’s hoping that they can successfully do it. I sure wouldn’t like to see the Wraith, Energy Sword, and Fuel Rod Gun locked out of the possibilities for campaigning.

>

I skimmed through your post but I think I get what you’re saying. So how about making the Wraith seen on AotCR at Rolling Thunder (I believe it’s the fourth Wraith encountered on that level) drivable as an easter egg (while the other Wraiths remain undrivable even if the driver is flipped out )? After all, it is possible to snipe the Elite that runs for it.

And here’s the video I promised:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2YKubkLGY4#t=7s The Wraith is, as I mentioned, horrible. But it would present a new approach, new strategies, potential for challenges (i.e. complete the level using only Covey vehicles, complete the level but with no vehicles other than the Wraith).

I mean both the sword and fuel rod gun had failsafes. The Wraith did not. Chief could drive a Ghost, drive a Banshee. Why not the Wraith?
As for the sword and fuel rod gun, the sword could be a potential candidate for usability, but the fuel rod gun is way too overpowered. Anyways, my concern is with the Wraith. The sword and fuel rod gun are both op.

As for your toggle idea, I think that would, unfortunately, take two separate campaigns.

A little off topic (it does pertain to CEA easter eggs though)… back in a ‘create a skull’ thread on bnet, I had an idea for a feature where all campaign levels that take place during the day instead take place at night, and vice versa. That only affects graphics, not gameplay, so as long as they’re creating new skins I think that would be pretty interesting.

> The only level in which you could flip them (and you could even get an unmanned Wraith) was AotCR. On Two Betrayals, there were a bunch of piloted Wraiths, but could you flip them with the Banshee without taking any damage?

This is not true. Check out this speed run of Two Betrayals by Insidi0us. At the 1:50 mark, he decks the Elite pilot of the Wraith with the Sniper Rifle before he is able to fully get in it. Leaving the Wraith unmanned and completely undamaged.

> > I don’t see why not. The Wraith doesn’t affect the AI. They are extremely cautious about making changes to AI as seen in the Grunt funeral info.
> >
> > But making the Wraith usable would only add a new option, nothing more (I mean come on, AotCR is supposed to be the ultimate vehicle level of Halo. Even Banshees were usable).
> >
> > It cannot negatively impact the game because it is balanced (Wraith mortars don’t do much damage, Wraith is very slow, it’s hard to aim with it and use it on closer enemies, although this actually makes using it require a great deal of skill, and it’s health is comparable to the Ghost’s and Banshee’s) and it only appears on a few (very few) levels (Truth and Reconciliation doesn’t count, because those weren’t vehicles. Those were scenery items. Wraiths exist on that level, but they didn’t spawn).
> >
> > The only level in which you could flip them (and you could even get an unmanned Wraith) was AotCR. On Two Betrayals, there were a bunch of piloted Wraiths, but could you flip them with the Banshee without taking any damage? I think not.
> >
> > Making the Wraith usable is the same thing as adding terminals.
> >
> > Tell you what. I’ll upload a video showing all my claims to be true.
>
> This. But in respect to the original campaign, I think it’ll still be disabled by default. I’d imagine there being an easter egg or something - like on the last level of ODST in four-player cooperative mode on Legendary with Iron on; the near-infinite Rocket Launchers and Mongooses - where a Wraith will be hidden somewhere, or it’ll be a toggle. I just can’t imagine them advertising “This is the EXACT game you remember, simply with new graphics!” and then changing something; anything about it, while publicly maintaining the no-change facade. That would draw massive criticism from some of the closer-minded people (no flak intended for them, however). Bottom line, the original experience has to be there, completely intact; good features and bad, as the default setting. That is not disputable.
>
> That said, I will still adamantly maintain that customization to a big extent should be the name of the game here. That’s a little odd, granted, as campaign customization has never gone beyond skulls and meta-scoring before. But I think we could break some ground in re-releasing a ten-year-old game, ironically, and pave the way for some even bigger progress in Halo 4 somehow. For instance, I’d appreciate a Wraith that I can drive. That said, I would also appreciate playing through the campaign without that sometimes. I’d also appreciate that out of the Energy Sword and Fuel Rod Gun, but again, the original experience is still important to me. The simple solution is to somehow make these into toggles (hopefully the skulls wouldn’t be the outlet for all of these toggles, however, as that would clutter our selection and step on the toes of the Mythic community).
>
> The toggles we would see in Anniversary would be odd. In digging up a game from ten years ago and trying to modernize it without actually adding any modern features, 343 Industries has opened up the way for odd toggles. To people who haven’t played Combat Evolved but are familiar with any following Halo FPS, it would be weird to discover the customization options and see the drivable Wraiths and player-wielded Energy Swords and Fuel Rod Guns as toggles. More to the point, it would be weird for them to see these switched off by default. But that’s just the nature of resurrecting a game while trying not to “ruin” it.
>
> I honestly don’t know what else about our campaign could be customizable, besides these few weapons/vehicles. That said, it’s not my job to come up with such things; it’s 343 Industries’ job. Here’s hoping that they can successfully do it. I sure wouldn’t like to see the Wraith, Energy Sword, and Fuel Rod Gun locked out of the possibilities for campaigning.

Awesome post and I 100% agree. While undoubtedly there will be the need for the original game in it’s entirety, I also would be much like to see options that could be toggled like that. If that’s included an option for people like myself that would like to see some added “special edition” features (so to speak) and 343 caters for those main passionate people that want a 1:1 copy of the exact original, then IMO it can be a win-win.

Worst case scenario - people dislike those options and don’t use them, instead falling back on the available default settings. Ideal situation - the option exists for a somewhat retconned experience adding to the overall features of the game and giving it even more replay value. If that could be pulled off even if just to a certain extent then I would be that much happier myself. As it stands now, i’m not as excited as I first was when I heard about this; at the prospect of only having the EXACT same experience (more or less).

There are fan-made sourceports on the web for older games such as Doom that throw in nice toggle-able (is that a word?) options that really help to make experience those games refreshing yet still feeling very much like the original versions (and can be made as such through gameplay/compatibility options.

> > The only level in which you could flip them (and you could even get an unmanned Wraith) was AotCR. On Two Betrayals, there were a bunch of piloted Wraiths, but could you flip them with the Banshee without taking any damage?
>
> This is not true. Check out this speed run of Two Betrayals by Insidi0us. At the 1:50 mark, he decks the Elite pilot of the Wraith with the Sniper Rifle before he is able to fully get in it. Leaving the Wraith unmanned and completely undamaged.

Hey give me a break. It’s a long time since I’ve played Two Betrayals.

But still, thanks for pointing that out. I remember now and I have edited my post.

I have also adjusted my position: make Wraiths that spawn unmanned usable and make Wraiths that do not get destroyed after being overturned (or just leave them unchanged, although that will take away the realism).

> Awesome post and I 100% agree. While undoubtedly there will be the need for the original game in it’s entirety, I also would be much like to see options that could be toggled like that. If that’s included an option for people like myself that would like to see some added “special edition” features (so to speak) and 343 caters for those main passionate people that want a 1:1 copy of the exact original, then IMO it can be a win-win.
>
> Worst case scenario - people dislike those options and don’t use them, instead falling back on the available default settings. Ideal situation - the option exists for a somewhat retconned experience adding to the overall features of the game and giving it even more replay value. If that could be pulled off even if just to a certain extent then I would be that much happier myself. As it stands now, i’m not as excited as I first was when I heard about this; at the prospect of only having the EXACT same experience (more or less).
>
> There are fan-made sourceports on the web for older games such as Doom that throw in nice toggle-able (is that a word?) options that really help to make experience those games refreshing yet still feeling very much like the original versions (and can be made as such through gameplay/compatibility options.

It would be a very good compromise. Thanks for reading! Yeah, I was also disappointed.