Will this game be M-rated or T?

I’m curious since Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 were rated Teen even though their predecessors were M-rated before. Was it just a business decision to try to appeal to a broader audience or will Halo finally go back to its M-rated roots?

Might be M if the Flood return.

> 2533274933538004;2:
> Might be M if the Flood return.

I hope they do return. Halo Reach was even M-rated and it had no flood in it whatsoever.

halo 4 was m as well it might be if flood returns

> 2533274867591496;4:
> halo 4 was m as well it might be if flood returns

yeah but I don’t play that game, imo, it’s one of the weakest installments in the franchise along with Halo 5. But yeah, I’m starting to think MS decided to change it to Teen rated to try to make it more accessible to the casual audience.

> 2535437136592539;5:
> > 2533274867591496;4:
> > halo 4 was m as well it might be if flood returns
>
> yeah but I don’t play that game, imo, it’s one of the weakest installments in the franchise along with Halo 5. But yeah, I’m starting to think MS decided to change it to Teen rated to try to make it more accessible to the casual audience.

makes sense 4 had a way better story than 5

The first Halo Wars was also rated T.

Honesty all this talk about 343i purposefully making Halo 5 T to attract a wider audience sounds like confirmation bias. You see the T rating and it makes the game seem more tame. In actuality, there were very specific bits of content that made Halo CE-4 rated M: the Flood in the first trilogy, and the Composer scene in Halo 4. Take those things away and you have the very same content that Halo 5 has.

Besides, Microsoft doesn’t decide on the rating; the ESRB does. And when you look at how much time has passed between games, it stands to reason that different people reviewed those games. Different people have different ideas of what constitutes T vs M ratings. Ask the ESRB from 15 years ago to review Halo 5, and they might have given it an M too.

Make halo bloody again

I have a feeling its gonna be T and i think its not 343-s decision that Halo is now rated T.When i look at those Sony exclusives they dont give a damn about rating there.I just want Halo to be realistic and with no boundaries to its presentation.

They’re probably gonna try to stick to the T rating. Which would be unfortunate but understandable. Halo ran out of the goodwill that CE bought for it, and now Microsoft’s trying to find a way to reconcile what it was with what it needs to be to reach the same popularity it had then. And while a T rating is a choice that grinds against what Halo was, it’s definitely a step towards the mass market appeal they’re looking for.

For what it’s worth, the parts of Halo that earn those M ratings have never been huge or overwrought by any means. But I still consider those elements memorable and defining accents. Take them away and you have a duller experience. However, the hope is that they don’t arrive at a T rating through subtraction – but instead by effective substitution. Memorable aspects don’t have to be M-rated.

> 2533274817408735;7:
> The first Halo Wars was also rated T.
>
> Honesty all this talk about 343i purposefully making Halo 5 T to attract a wider audience sounds like confirmation bias. You see the T rating and it makes the game seem more tame. In actuality, there were very specific bits of content that made Halo CE-4 rated M: the Flood in the first trilogy, and the Composer scene in Halo 4. Take those things away and you have the very same content that Halo 5 has.
>
> Besides, Microsoft doesn’t decide on the rating; the ESRB does. And when you look at how much time has passed between games, it stands to reason that different people reviewed those games. Different people have different ideas of what constitutes T vs M ratings. Ask the ESRB from 15 years ago to review Halo 5, and they might have given it an M too.

Ordinarily, I’d agree, but I think you could argue that 343 and Microsoft are targeting a younger audience. It’s likely not a coincidence that the novel Halo: Battle Born and the Official Spartan Field Manuel are being published under a deal with Scholastic. Yes, we still have Bad Blood and Silent Storm being published by Gallery Books, but how deep will the deal with Scholastic go?

You’re spot on with the ESRB ultimately deciding which rating any future Halo games will receive.

> 2535437136592539;1:
> I’m curious since Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 were rated Teen even though their predecessors were M-rated before. Was it just a business decision to try to appeal to a broader audience or will Halo finally go back to its M-rated roots?

M with flood, t without the flood

> 2533274830166194;12:
> > 2535437136592539;1:
> > I’m curious since Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 were rated Teen even though their predecessors were M-rated before. Was it just a business decision to try to appeal to a broader audience or will Halo finally go back to its M-rated roots?
>
> M with flood, t without the flood

And what about Reach and ODST?

> 2533274991067213;13:
> > 2533274830166194;12:
> > > 2535437136592539;1:
> > > I’m curious since Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 were rated Teen even though their predecessors were M-rated before. Was it just a business decision to try to appeal to a broader audience or will Halo finally go back to its M-rated roots?
> >
> > M with flood, t without the flood
>
> And what about Reach and ODST?

Reach had a dude getting impaled through the chest and a woman getting sniped mid sentence.Odst I’ll give you,but ratings were more excessive 9 years ago compared to now

If the Flood, blood and gore return, then it’ll probably be rated M.

Yeah, making it rated T was a mistake imo. It just hurts the content of the game. Asuming young people nor parents couln’t care less about ratings while buying some games. It’s silly

> 2533274817408735;7:
> The first Halo Wars was also rated T.
>
> Honesty all this talk about 343i purposefully making Halo 5 T to attract a wider audience sounds like confirmation bias. You see the T rating and it makes the game seem more tame. In actuality, there were very specific bits of content that made Halo CE-4 rated M: the Flood in the first trilogy, and the Composer scene in Halo 4. Take those things away and you have the very same content that Halo 5 has.
>
> Besides, Microsoft doesn’t decide on the rating; the ESRB does. And when you look at how much time has passed between games, it stands to reason that different people reviewed those games. Different people have different ideas of what constitutes T vs M ratings. Ask the ESRB from 15 years ago to review Halo 5, and they might have given it an M too.

The flood will most likely return considering every Installation has a flood scontainiment center. If they cheese down the gore for them, I’ll be severely disappointed.

> 2533274830166194;14:
> > 2533274991067213;13:
> > > 2533274830166194;12:
> > > > 2535437136592539;1:
> > > > I’m curious since Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 were rated Teen even though their predecessors were M-rated before. Was it just a business decision to try to appeal to a broader audience or will Halo finally go back to its M-rated roots?
>
> Reach had a dude getting impaled through the chest and a woman getting sniped mid sentence.Odst I’ll give you,but ratings were more excessive 9 years ago compared to now

Emile being impaled doesn’t seem beyond the boundaries of a T-rating, you can even do that in Halo 5 assassinations. I think what was involved with Reach being M were three primary details - the bloody marines being hung by rusty pegs in Winter Contingency, the copious amount of dead civilians seen in Exodus, and the corridors in certain missions like New Alexandria, where there are marine corpses with an extreme amount of blood painted in the floor, the walls, and even imprinted by squirming hands and the feet of Jackals.

Fun fact: when I went to buy a copy of Reach from Gamestop, the employees seemed surprised when they found out Halo used to be rated M.

On topic, I have to agree with Chimera. Halo 5 isn’t really all that different from the other Halo games. Video game ratings have just tended to be more lenient over time. For instance: SSB Brawl is rated Teen, while Sm4sh is rated E10+. Looking at the two games, there’s not really much difference. It’s just that reviewers became slightly more lenient.

> 2535437136592539;1:
> I’m curious since Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 were rated Teen even though their predecessors were M-rated before. Was it just a business decision to try to appeal to a broader audience or will Halo finally go back to its M-rated roots?

Halo Wars 1, Spartan Assault, and Spartan Strike were also Rated T. Also Halo 5 Forge on the PC, if you count that one as a separate game. As for this game, I kinda hope it gets the M-rating back. But if it doesn’t, at least the story and gameplay should be really good.