Will there be a final chapter for Master Chief?

Hello, I have a question. Let’s say if 343 Industries continue doing more Halo video games, could we see them start planning on how to finish telling Master Chief’s story in the Halo Universe especially if there is a sequel to Halo Infinite? And, do you see both 343 Industries and Steve Downes follow in a similar way like how Hugh Jackman was able to finish telling Wolverine’s story in Logan? Maybe we can see the Halo Infinite sequel going in a style of Logan? Do you see that happened?

There’s a burial ceremony for him in 2590 though the coffin is empty. He has to die eventually though.

I would love to see him retire as an old man and raise a family, and then he dies from an old-age heart attack. His family mourns him and then the covenant tries to infiltrate Switzerland (Where he retired) and steal his body for his juicy genes. His family then spends an entire campaign defending his body and finding a safe place for it. That’s quality story telling, I think. That should be Halo 12.

> 2535434101253033;1:
> Hello, I have a question. Let’s say if 343 Industries continue doing more Halo video games, could we see them start planning on how to finish telling Master Chief’s story in the Halo Universe especially if there is a sequel to Halo Infinite? And, do you see both 343 Industries and Steve Downes follow in a similar way like how Hugh Jackman was able to finish telling Wolverine’s story in Logan? Maybe we can see the Halo Infinite sequel going in a style of Logan? Do you see that happened?

I don’t know about an ending to Chief’s story, but I know bringing in more mainline characters into the Halo universe will lessen our dependence on the Chief. I am not saying replace Chief in Infinite or the next main Halo game, but I am saying make another Halo shooter with a different protagonist. There is a huge universe to explore and Bungie did it with Halo: Reach. They should make another ODST or Spartan shooter to tell a story besides the Chief’s.

I have wanted this for a while and I think it may happen, considering how large 343 is. It is one of the largest studios out there. We know they have people working on MCC and Halo Infinite. What else could they be working on? Give us something different before we say goodbye to the chief. I say we have Infinite and at least two more games with Chief.

> 2533274817390757;4:
> > 2535434101253033;1:
> > Hello, I have a question. Let’s say if 343 Industries continue doing more Halo video games, could we see them start planning on how to finish telling Master Chief’s story in the Halo Universe especially if there is a sequel to Halo Infinite? And, do you see both 343 Industries and Steve Downes follow in a similar way like how Hugh Jackman was able to finish telling Wolverine’s story in Logan? Maybe we can see the Halo Infinite sequel going in a style of Logan? Do you see that happened?
>
> I don’t know about an ending to Chief’s story, but I know bringing in more mainline characters into the Halo universe will lessen our dependence on the Chief. I am not saying replace Chief in Infinite or the next main Halo game, but I am saying make another Halo shooter with a different protagonist. There is a huge universe to explore and Bungie did it with Halo: Reach. They should make another ODST or Spartan shooter to tell a story besides the Chief’s.
>
> I have wanted this for a while and I think it may happen, considering how large 343 is. It is one of the largest studios out there. We know they have people working on MCC and Halo Infinite. What else could they be working on? Give us something different before we say goodbye to the chief. I say we have Infinite and at least two more games with Chief.

Jerome-092 is the perfect replacement for Master Chief. It will be great to see Jerome-092 getting a series or a trilogy of Halo first person shooter video games where he is the main character.

At the same time, I would love to see another Halo ODST video game. I have been wanting to see a Halo video game where ODST Troopers are the main characters again. I can see a new Halo ODST video game that is set during the events from Halo Wars 1 and Halo Reach. I also would love to see a Halo spin off video game where Arbiter and the Sword of Sanghelios are the main characters.

> 2535434101253033;5:
> > 2533274817390757;4:
> > > 2535434101253033;1:
> > > Hello, I have a question. Let’s say if 343 Industries continue doing more Halo video games, could we see them start planning on how to finish telling Master Chief’s story in the Halo Universe especially if there is a sequel to Halo Infinite? And, do you see both 343 Industries and Steve Downes follow in a similar way like how Hugh Jackman was able to finish telling Wolverine’s story in Logan? Maybe we can see the Halo Infinite sequel going in a style of Logan? Do you see that happened?
> >
> > I don’t know about an ending to Chief’s story, but I know bringing in more mainline characters into the Halo universe will lessen our dependence on the Chief. I am not saying replace Chief in Infinite or the next main Halo game, but I am saying make another Halo shooter with a different protagonist. There is a huge universe to explore and Bungie did it with Halo: Reach. They should make another ODST or Spartan shooter to tell a story besides the Chief’s.
> >
> > I have wanted this for a while and I think it may happen, considering how large 343 is. It is one of the largest studios out there. We know they have people working on MCC and Halo Infinite. What else could they be working on? Give us something different before we say goodbye to the chief. I say we have Infinite and at least two more games with Chief.
>
> Jerome-092 is the perfect replacement for Master Chief. It will be great to see Jerome-092 getting a series or a trilogy of Halo first person shooter video games where he is the main character.
>
> At the same time, I would love to see another Halo ODST video game. I have been wanting to see a Halo video game where ODST Troopers are the main characters again. I can see a new Halo ODST video game that is set during the events from Halo Wars 1 and Halo Reach. I also would love to see a Halo spin off video game where Arbiter and the Sword of Sanghelios are the main characters.

I agree, if we lose Chief Jerome would be the lad!

I think we’ve seen 343i attempt to “phase out” John once already in Halo 5. Not by killing him off, but by attempting to shift our interest and focus onto Locke and Fireteam Osiris. I believe it was very much intended to be a passing of the baton from Chief to Locke as our main series protagonist. Needless to elaborate, but people in general didn’t go for it.

Chief is an odd duck in the world of video game characters in that he exists somewhere between a faceless FPS player character and an iconic platform mascot. Platform mascots are forever, while faceless FPS player character fodder rarely get more than one game in the grand scheme of things. Chief as a character loses some credibility by lasting too long in a universe that’s always changing around him, but he’s also so iconic that most fans don’t want to experience that universe without him.

ODST and Reach were good examples of how to at least begin to break away from Chief; don’t invite a direct comparison to him by having him present in the game, because most players will side with John in any comparison. The Rookie and Noble Six existed in entirely different contexts and couldn’t be directly held up against Chief- and most players ended up taking to them pretty well. Locke was directly, purposefully pitted against John as a beat of the H5 campaign. Of course it was a lot to expect that any, let alone most of us would choose the new guy over our beloved Chief.

Infinite is recentering on Chief, and I expect that he’ll remain the focus for another handful of years anyhow given the backlash from H5 (343i has explicitly expressed an understanding that fans want to see stories about John). When the time does come to shift the focus away from him again, I think trying to recreate the anthology approach that ODST and Reach took would be the best bet. But again, I’d say that’s years off yet.

As a story teller myself I can see the difficulty of changing characters. Reach was the best Halo game I’ve played so far am done of my favorite games in general. Instead of just killing chief 343 would need to add to the universe instead of subtract. Add a new threat, not Covenant or Forerunner perhaps. I believe Halo Wars 2 would be a good example, Chief was mentioned however we get an entire new cast of characters. This is what would be needed for the time being, adding before you subtract. Give the fans more characters to love and as many have said before me we would rely on chief less making a new hero a possibility in the future.

The master chief does not need to die, they can simply keep telling new stories for him. If they want to bring someone new in, spinoff games have been really good for buck and noble team.

Chief retiring and going off into the sunset with a happy ending just doesn’t sound like a “Chief” ending. I understand the good intentions associated with this desire (giving him a happy ending) but I don’t think that kind of happy ending is fitting.

Remember this guy was plucked from normal life at a very early age and was brought up and trained to do one thing: be a soldier. It’s uncharacteristic for him to want to do anything else. I can’t imagine he has any desire for starting a family at home with a white picket fence and dog playing in the lawn.

If 343 decides to phase him out at some point in the future, I think they’ll need to do one of two things. First, either give him some kind of bombastic finale with an open ending (not with the intent of having the optionality of bringing him back, but with the notion of “Spartans never die. They’re just MIA”). Alternatively, give his story some level of firmer finality that makes sense for his character. Maybe at some point down the line he retires from field combat but stays employed by the UNSC by doing something like heading up training for a next-gen Spartan program. This I could partially see working for his character. He knows his best days are behind him and that he can do more for the cause by training others vs. putting his own life at risk out in the field. I definitely don’t want them to pull a Gears 4+ move on us though where there is a new ensemble of core characters (JD, Kait, Del) while the original protagonist (Marcus) is still with you constantly as a “tag-along”. If Chief is in the game, he needs to be front and center. Don’t have him reduced to playing second or third fiddle while you make room for a new protagonist.

In the wonderful world of “hey our fictional universe has cryosleep!”, the Chief can always be sidelined for a game or two before returning to the forefront.

> 2737009059272856;10:
> I definitely don’t want them to pull a Gears 4+ move on us though where there is a new ensemble of core characters (JD, Kait, Del) while the original protagonist (Marcus) is still with you constantly as a “tag-along”. If Chief is in the game, he needs to be front and center. Don’t have him reduced to playing second or third fiddle while you make room for a new protagonist.

Agree with this completely. Having a classic character tag along with your new character(s) will always lead to the newcomer(s) being overshadowed and robbed from a proper chance to develop. Heck we already kind of had this with the Fireteam Osiris/Blue Team dynamic in Halo 5. Even as someone who likes all of Fireteam Osiris’s members, I always caught myself being more hyped for the Blue Team missions as I’ve been familiar with these characters for more than a decade.

I’m sure at some point they’ll retire his character. But I have my doubts Halo Infinite will be the game to do it since the Reclaimer saga doesn’t seem to be ending soon.