Will Sword Block Return?

I had a dream last night. I was playing something… and then Frankie was there in the game, and I could ask him all these questions about Halo 4. Obviously, I was pretty excited. But now all I remember was asking these stupid, random questions…

But I do remember one!

In most likelihoods the energy sword will be in Halo 4. It is quite iconic to the Halo franchise. Anyhoo, if the Sword is in, would Sword Block be in as well? I really hope not, but seeing as Sprint is a default ability now, I’m not sure? I’m hoping Sword Block doesn’t make the cut, anyway.

Your thoughts?

No. Just no.

> In most likelihoods the energy sword will be in Halo 4.
>
> Your thoughts?

The GI article has the Chief facing off with an Elite with an Energy Sword as one of your first few moments in campaign.

If they would bother to model, animate and do everything else for the weapon but not add it to MP, it would astound me.

Sword Block needs to stay dead.

> I had a dream last night. I was playing something… and then Frankie was there in the game, and I could ask him all these questions about Halo 4. Obviously, I was pretty excited. But now all I remember was asking these stupid, random questions…
>
> But I do remember one!
>
> In most likelihoods the energy sword will be in Halo 4. It is quite iconic to the Halo franchise. Anyhoo, if the Sword is in, would Sword Block be in as well? I really hope not, but seeing as Sprint is a default ability now, I’m not sure? I’m hoping Sword Block doesn’t make the cut, anyway.
>
> Your thoughts?

I definitely don’t want this in any game type except possibly for infection (if it comes back)

Which it most likely will.

Bring Sword Dueling back from Halo 3. That was epic in Rumble Pit. (Except for the grenades)

Halo 3 sword battles: YES!!! Halo reach blocking sword with melee: NO!!!

Hopefully not, the sword block system was extremely random and host dependent, even worse then bloom, and hence should stay out. It was a decent idea, but it removed the “power” from a power weapon (sniper block?) and didn’t work as intended :confused:

Hopefully it will return only against other swords ala H3. Against anything else though? Please no.

In a way I’d like to see it return, especially if both player had swords. I remember sword duels to be pretty fun. Good players facing off could counter each other several times till either one screwed up or a player was aided by a teammate.

But I’d like to see sword-less players to be able to counter a sword as well, at least the first strike. In Reach, a sprinter with a sword can dominate several people very quickly. I think if you have shields you should be able to counter/deflect a sword strike if timed right, but at the cost of the deflecting players shields, meaning they couldn’t block a second strike. If the sword player lunged, the defensive player would have a small window to choose to attack or retreat, but if it was a quick strike the defending player would only slightly delay the attacker unless they were terrible.