Will Master Chief ever be commissioned?

Will Master Chief ever be commissioned as an officer? The reason he wasn’t commissioned out of the SPARTAN-II program is because he was quiet and didn’t have the leadership qualities of an officer. I think if all of the remaining SPARTAN-IIs join the SPARTAN-IV program they would be commissioned (with the exception of Fred-104 of course) so they could be put in charge of all of the SPARTAN-IVs including Sarah Palmer.

I was wondering more or less the same thing.

Spartans are very rarely commissioned as officers. Yes there was Fred and Kurt, but Kurt was kidnapped from active duty to train the S-IIIs and Fred was promoted as the leader of the remaining S-IIs and IIIs on Onyx.

Spartans are meant to be commanded by the higher ups yet lead lower ranked soldiers.

He DOES have leadership qualities, he was the leader of the S-IIs at the very least as well as the highest ranked of them. He’s only quiet in the games because the powers that be decided against giving the player the ability to order other troops around. He is quite the leader for his fellow Spartans in the early novels.

As for the lack of an officer’s commission? Probably didn’t attend officer training school or prefers not to accept that kind of promotion.

none of the spartan 2 ever received a commission other than ambrose, and generally speaking, a nco would not recive a comission because theirs no reason to it after a certain point, by the time someone is a senior nco, giving them a commission would be a kick in the teeth, also, senior nco are put in charge of units ALL the time.

also, whats with the assumption that because john is quiet and not leadership materia he didn’t receive a comission because no spartan two did, however john was a spartan team leader, and was the highest ranking spartan 2 outside of kurt.

Good question. I don’t think so, I don’t think anyone really trusted the Spartan II’s… too much power, too much training, too much augmentation. “Sociopathic Tendencies” and all that. I do think that the implied undertone of the Halo 4 story is that they were trying to replace the Master Chief with Sarah Palmer, but weren’t entirely happy with the results.

> I do think that the implied undertone of the Halo 4 story is that they were trying to replace the Master Chief with Sarah Palmer, but weren’t entirely happy with the results.

I wouldn’t be, either.

Well First he isn’t just a Basic Master Chief,
He is the one and only Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy there is only one man at this rank at a time in real military and i’m sure that halo would follow this. If it didn’t it would make the rank pointless and not unique. In Reach the Protagonists where almost all officers Carter was a Commander, Kat was a Lt. Commander, and you your character was an LT (Lieutenant)
they used navy ranks which IMO how spartans should be ranked since they are a section of the naval’s special operations.

> He DOES have leadership qualities, he was the leader of the S-IIs at the very least as well as the highest ranked of them. He’s only quiet in the games because the powers that be decided against giving the player the ability to order other troops around. He is quite the leader for his fellow Spartans in the early novels.
>
> As for the lack of an officer’s commission? Probably didn’t attend officer training school or prefers not to accept that kind of promotion.

> none of the spartan 2 ever received a commission other than ambrose, and generally speaking, a nco would not recive a comission because theirs no reason to it after a certain point, by the time someone is a senior nco, giving them a commission would be a kick in the teeth, also, senior nco are put in charge of units ALL the time.
>
>
> also, whats with the assumption that because john is quiet and not leadership materia he didn’t receive a comission because no spartan two did, however john was a spartan team leader, and was the highest ranking spartan 2 outside of kurt.

He wasn’t the highest ranked. Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy is the highest enlisted rank but it’s still an enlisted rank. Technically an Ensign (Naval version of a 2nd Lieutenant) is higher ranking than him. Fred and Kurt were both commissioned officers so therefore he was not the leader of all the SPARTAN-IIs. And yes usually there is no point in commissioning a senior NCO but Master Chief could be commissioned directly to O-5 or O-6 to give him true command over the SPARTAN-IVs.

> Well First he isn’t just a Basic Master Chief,
> He is the one and only Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy there is only one man at this rank at a time in real military and i’m sure that halo would follow this. If it didn’t it would make the rank pointless and not unique. In Reach the Protagonists where almost all officers Carter was a Commander, Kat was a Lt. Commander, and you your character was an LT (Lieutenant)
> they used navy ranks which IMO how spartans should be ranked since they are a section of the naval’s special operations.

The UNSC is hardly the real military and a real MCPON, though highly repected, is more administrative than a soldier like a spartan-II. My opinion would be that he retains his rank of Master Chief instead of having to climb up the ranks all over again as a lowly ensign or 1st lieutenant. Being a Master Chief commands the respect even from a Navy Captain or Army Colonel.

In terms of respect a ‘promotion’ to anything less then Commander would be a downgrade.

He’s good how he is.

He should be promoted to “Chief Badass of Humanity.”

> He should be promoted to “Chief Badass of Humanity.”

I agree to this with one little tweak " Master Chief Badass of Humanity."

> He wasn’t the highest ranked.

Among the original Spartans (IIs) yes he was. As of the Battle of Reach Fred was still a Chief or Senior Chief.

> Technically an Ensign (Naval version of a 2nd Lieutenant) is higher ranking than him.

Purely hierarchy-wise yes, experience-wise probably not. A Naval captain is more likely to listen to a suggestion from a Master Chief Petty Officer than an Ensign.

> Fred and Kurt were both commissioned officers so therefore he was not the leader of all the SPARTAN-IIs.

Yet the novels disagree with you, at least the first three. I never got around to reading the rest but I keep up with the summaries. Halopedia also helps.
In no situation did Fred ever order the Chief around, rather it was the opposite with Chief having overall command and leading Blue Team with Fred acting as a second and leading Red Team.

> Master Chief could be commissioned directly to O-5 or O-6 to give him true command over the SPARTAN-IVs.

After what he’s done they could probably promote him to Emperor of Mankind.

Or they could just give him operational command regardless of rank, a special exception to the standard rule…because of his accomplishments.

All very good points.

’Emperor of Mankind’ has a nice ring to it.