Will Halo 4 Have Less Cutscene Content?

Most Halo games usually follow a pattern when it comes to cutscenes:

Start off with a long cutscene.

Then each level usually contains one at the beginning, a short one in the middle, and one at the end.

The game finishes with a long cutscene.

I feel as each Halo game is released the shorter the total amount of cutscene time is (excluding Reach.)

Halo 1 had many cutscenes. Mostly 3 per level.
Halo 2 also had many cutscenes, very long ones like the storm.
Halo 3 didn’t have as many cutscenes. Sometimes there wasn’t even a cutscene to begin a mission let alone during a mission!
Halo 3 odst had very short levels, but had many small snippets of cutscenes (rookie finding things) but in total didn’t compare to the previous games.

Now Halo 4 is coming out. However, it only has 8 missions in total? I highly doubt the length of each cutscene has been increased to match that of the level. Will this mean that we won’t be seeing too much of cutscenes. If so thats a shame. Nevertheless I think this game will be awesome anyway!

It’s been stated that the missions in Halo 4 will be longer than previous games, including changing environments completely in the course of one level, so I’m sure our eyes will be exploded with many cutscene’s.

That doesn’t sound too bad to me. It might be refreshing to have more of the story told through the gameplay and terminals, while only having cutscenes when necessary. I mean, we don’t require a cutscene to witness Chief being dropped off by a pelican or something, right? Cutscenes should be reserved for very important parts of the game.

This is the most story driven Halo story yet, so yes it will have plenty of cutscenes.

Given that there are only eight missions, they’d better have plenty of cutscenes and even more gameplay.

I think it will be about the same or more. I don’t thing they would give us less cutscenes.

> It’s been stated that the missions in Halo 4 will be longer than previous games, including changing environments completely in the course of one level, so I’m sure <mark>our eyes will be exploded with many cutscene’s.</mark>

Eyes exploding from many cutscenes, that is a lot of cutscenes O_O

But this will be the most dynamic Halo campaign yet so I’m not too worried.

With 8 of the longest missions ever, I expect to see several cutscenes, to give my hands a break.

> Halo 3 didn’t have as many cutscenes. Sometimes there wasn’t even a cutscene to begin a mission let alone during a mission!

Only 2 missions had no cutscenes at the beginning: Tsavo Highway and Floodgate

It’s not really a big deal since some people (like me) like getting straight to the action.

CE’s openings were often annoying long with no way to skip it (T&R, SC, AotCR, 343 GS, Keyes) but some missions (Halo, The Library, Two Betrayals, The Maw) let you skip the cutscene immediately, without waiting for the level to load (a la H3 and Reach).

I for one do not want another Reach (LNoS had the longest, unskippable, most tedious and unbearable cutscenes I have ever seen in a Halo game).

Yet I don’t want 100% Halo 3. I felt that H3 cutscenes deprived me of some great moments (i.e. seeing Installation 04B in all it’s glory, going up the elevator ready to fight Truth’s forces at their last stand, following Cortana after escaping the Flood).

> Cutscenes should be reserved for very important parts of the game.

This. Else they become teases (TotS opening, Scarabs in Reach) or overdone (Chief destroying Scarab in H2, Chief destroying AA gun in H3, Noble Six destroying Spire, Gravemind tentacles in H3).

> This is the most story driven Halo story yet, so yes it will have plenty of cutscenes.

> It’s been stated that the missions in Halo 4 will be longer than previous games, including changing environments completely in the course of one level, so I’m sure our eyes will be exploded with many cutscene’s.

I heard it was just going to be the same length, can you add a link as to where you read this?

> It’s been stated that the missions in Halo 4 will be longer than previous games, including changing environments completely in the course of one level, so I’m sure our eyes will be exploded with many cutscene’s.

Yeah. The campaign missions will be long. The names of the missions are really generic, which even hints at the missions being long. I mean in previous Halo games, the titles of the missions were very specific, where the names of the missions in Halo 4 are so generic. For example, for all we know (even when playing the campaign for the first time) “Midnight” could be a level about Chief sleeping at midnight to an Elite having a midnight snack.

when i found out there was 8 missions i did think there would be more/longer cutscenes

Is this all just based on speculation, or are there actual links where people at 343i say that it is longer or something along those lines.