Will Flood evolve to the point....

they can infect even mechanical beings? I mean Gravemind did corrupt Cortana and Mendicant Bias via pursuading. Could this be hint toward possible adaptation against synthetic?
Next Halo could go like this.
Flood evolve to the point that Promethean Knights become obsolete as even they can be infected. So the galaxy has to rely on Halos once more.

> they can infect even mechanical beings? I mean Gravemind did corrupt Cortana and Mendicant Bias via pursuading. Could this be hint toward possible adaptation against synthetic?
> Next Halo could go like this.
> Flood evolve to the point that Promethean Knights become obsolete as even they can be infected. So the galaxy has to rely on Halos once more.

If they did then even Hunters would not be safe from infection.

The Flood feast on organic matter. They consume what thinks with neural patterns, not anything that thinks. The only reason they corrupted Mendicant Bias was because he listened to them and understood them- he got their purpose and realized that the Flood is the only way to truly establish the Mantle and stop war between rival species- by uniting all entities under one body and one mind (the Gravemind) there can’t be any conflict and there will be eternal peace and prosperity.

Long live the Flood.

The Flood would have to work out some way to interact with AIs long-term. It could be that once they consumed the galaxy they would just use them like the Forerunners/Humans do.

> The Flood feast on organic matter. They consume what thinks with neural patterns, not anything that thinks. The only reason they corrupted Mendicant Bias was because he listened to them and understood them- he got their purpose and realized that the Flood is the only way to truly establish the Mantle and stop war between rival species- by uniting all entities under one body and one mind (the Gravemind) there can’t be any conflict and there will be eternal peace and prosperity.
>
> Long live the Flood.

In short, no. They can corrupt AI’s, like Cortana and Mendicant Bias, but they cannot assimilate them into the Flood.

> > The Flood feast on organic matter. They consume what thinks with neural patterns, not anything that thinks. The only reason they corrupted Mendicant Bias was because he listened to them and understood them- he got their purpose and realized that the Flood is the only way to truly establish the Mantle and stop war between rival species- by uniting all entities under one body and one mind (the Gravemind) there can’t be any conflict and there will be eternal peace and prosperity.
> >
> > Long live the Flood.
>
> In short, no. They can corrupt AI’s, like Cortana and Mendicant Bias, but they cannot assimilate them into the Flood.

That’s what he was saying, no?

It’s possible they could hack mechanical tech. As previously stated, flood can corrupt AI’s, possibly hack them. Which includes the Promethean knights, which seem to follow people with special waves of the hand.

When you think about it, there might be some flood on the other side of the galaxy who have already consumed it. We wouldn’t know until it was too late. Just a thought.

@Most everyone before me: The question was whether they might be able to evolve to infect machines, not whether they could in the past.

I think that the answer may be yes. The Halo rings were the only reason the Flood was stopped, and it did not kill mechanical beings. I wouldn’t rule out, actually it might be likely to happen, that the Precursors have refined the Flood and given them the ability to infect AIs and such. If something is self aware then it is sentient, so the AIs we know would most definitely qualify.

If the Flood have evolved to do such things, Humanity is going to have a tough time defeating them. Imagine an infect Promethean Knight.

I’m not sure if he corrupted Cortana or was simply at the right place at the right time, i.e. her first steps into rampancy in which Gravemind certainly didn’t help matters.

Lets just hope the Flood never get to the point they were at in the war they had with the Forerunners. There’s no way humanity would be able to stop them if they were almost their peak.

> > they can infect even mechanical beings? I mean Gravemind did corrupt Cortana and Mendicant Bias via pursuading. Could this be hint toward possible adaptation against synthetic?
> > Next Halo could go like this.
> > Flood evolve to the point that Promethean Knights become obsolete as even they can be infected. So the galaxy has to rely on Halos once more.
>
> If they did then even Hunters would not be safe from infection.

Flood couldn’t convert Hunters into combat form, but they could still use their corpses for biomass -> pure form.

I guess if they get strong enough they could breakdown metal, and adapt. Although I don’t know how fast the Flood can produce an organ to do such a thing.

I think they could grow over something, for example a Ghost, and use the mass to control the object. Bungie had a concept art on this.
And no, Hunters could not be infected by the Flood we know, but in Primordium it is said that the Flood can decide whether to infect or not, so maybe the Flood currently does not care about the Hunters.

> I think they could grow over something, for example a Ghost, and use the mass to control the object. Bungie had a concept art on this.
> And no, Hunters could not be infected by the Flood we know, but in Primordium it is said that the Flood can decide whether to infect or not, so maybe the Flood currently does not care about the Hunters.

The Lekgolo in general do not work with the Flood. Imagine having to infect every single worm in a Hunter, it just isn’t feasible. Efforts are better focused on things that can actually be infected.

> > I think they could grow over something, for example a Ghost, and use the mass to control the object. Bungie had a concept art on this.
> > And no, Hunters could not be infected by the Flood we know, but in Primordium it is said that the Flood can decide whether to infect or not, so maybe the Flood currently does not care about the Hunters.
>
> The Lekgolo in general do not work with the Flood. Imagine having to infect every single worm in a Hunter, it just isn’t feasible. Efforts are better focused on things that can actually be infected.

This is more far-fetched but a Gravemind might actually approve of the lekgolo. They are hivemind creatures as well, after all.