Will DLC ever be free in Halo 3?

im just wondering cause people in the Reach area are saying its DLC should be free

The only DLC for Halo 3 that is free is the Heroic map pack and the Cold Storage stand alone map. The reason the others aren’t free is due to Microsoft’s DLC policy which makes it so that DLC that has tied achievements (adds new achievements to the game) cannot be free. This is why, even with how old the game is, the Legendary and Mythic I/II map packs still need to be paid for. The are some games that are exempt from this, such as Gears of War 1 (all its DLC is free) but these games either had their DLC made free before the policy took effect or the developer/pulishers came to some sort of agreement beforehand with Microsoft/Xbox Live.

It’s kind of sad that these older games let their DLC rot.

I can understand it not being free, but why not reduce the price to something more reasonable?

I guess at least they haven’t gone the way of Forza 3 and just removed it from the store. :frowning:

If you want all of the Halo 3 DLC free, you can go buy Halo 3: ODST (runs for around $15 at Best Buy). You get a great campaign, awesome firefight, and every Halo 3 map.

Have any games ever made all their DLC go free just because they stopped paying attention to them? I mean, it’d be nice to get all the Halo 3 DLC for free, because the multiplayer disk that came with my ODST doesn’t work for some reason, but I don’t really see it happening.

I don’t think there is DLC for Halo 3 ODST. There is some map packs for Halo 3 though

I know. I was referring to the multiplayer disk that comes with the boxed version, which is all the Halo 3 DLC and whatnot.

There’s the Johnson DLC for ODST, but I don’t know if you can actually get that anymore or not.

On the Xbox store, no. Only other way of getting it semi-free is to buy ODST with multiplayer which you can find used.

As stated above, just get a copy of Halo 3: ODST. You can find it for super cheap (USED COPY) on Amazon.

Even better, use Bing search for a month or two (average ~$5 a month when you reach Gold Status). Then convert the points you acquire to Amazon credits: FREE GAME! You can save up more and do the same for other stuff on Amazon, or convert to MS credits and get Halo: Spartan Strike when it eventually comes out.

Microsoft it just wanting to make money, but it is quite unfortunate for the DLC’s not to be free because people such as yourself are interested in the Halo 3 DLC’s. Free DLC’s would better promote older games, plus anyway I doubt Microsoft has been making high sales numbers off of Halo 3 and Reach DLC’s. The only time I could ever see the DLC’s becoming free is right before Microsoft shuts down Xbox Live for the Xbox 360.

> 2533274932408033;10:
> Microsoft it just wanting to make money, but it is quite unfortunate for the DLC’s not to be free because people such as yourself are interested in the Halo 3 DLC’s. Free DLC’s would better promote older games, plus anyway I doubt Microsoft has been making high sales numbers off of Halo 3 and Reach DLC’s. The only time I could ever see the DLC’s becoming free is right before Microsoft shuts down Xbox Live for the Xbox 360.

I wish they were free

I don’t know why they aren’t free yet. I wouldn’t mind playing sidewinder with new weapons and graphics but the other maps in the pack are already implemented into the game so why isn’t it free?

The DLC prices may go down later on, but I doubt many of the ones with achievements will ever be free.

> 2535405329517046;12:
> I don’t know why they aren’t free yet. I wouldn’t mind playing sidewinder with new weapons and graphics but the other maps in the pack are already implemented into the game so why isn’t it free?

I already explained in the 2nd comment in this thread why the DLC wont be made free. Please make sure to read all comments. Also the DLC maps are integrated into every playlist in the game, but aren’t available unless you own the DLC.

It should be at this point imo

> 2533274942290421;15:
> It should be at this point imo

Not only has Phil stated twice why they aren’t or will never be free, but if you don’t already have the dlc by this point there is no point in getting it. The only two playlists on that game that still have population don’t use dlc maps.

Though it would be pretty great if the DLC became free I wouldn’t get my hopes up. However Halo ODST which comes with a multi player disc with all of the Halo DLC on it. A few weeks ago I saw a used copy at gamestop on sale for four dollars.

> 2533274823890156;16:
> > 2533274942290421;15:
> > It should be at this point imo
>
>
> Not only has Phil stated twice why they aren’t or will never be free, but if you don’t already have the dlc by this point there is no point in getting it. The only two playlists on that game that still have population don’t use dlc maps.

Although most playlists in Halo 3 require DLC to play them, the DLC maps are integrated into all playlists, but everybody needs the DLC in order for them to show in the none DLC required playlists. This is how Bungie purposely implemented them, same with Halo Reach when Bungie had control of the Halo franchise. Yet I still see people bad mouthing 343 for doing the same thing in Halo 4. It honestly boggles my mind sometimes. People complain they can’t play the DLC maps in Halo 4, but it makes you wonder how many people would complain if 343 made most playlists DLC required to play.

The 300+ players left on the server, should all be rewarded with free DLC. I’d love to know the number of sales, they’ve had for H3’s DLC in the last year? ROFL!

Please don’t revive old topics thanks