Will Crouch Jumping Return?

It’s been in every Halo FPS from CE to Guardians where you hold crouch mid-jump to give you an added boost in height to land on higher platforms. But with Halo Infinite being developed on a new engine, I really hope 343 doesn’t forget about this.

Crouch jumping is in Halo 5? Along with other tricks such as making use of stabilize and ground pound to reach farther platforms? To be honest, I think those things are a bit silly. I’m not a fan of having so many movement mechanics that it becomes necessary to perform obscure tricks to reach higher/farther ledges. Why not just make every normal jump have the extra height of a crouch jump already built in, and remove the need to do any tricks to jump higher? Wouldn’t that be better and more simple? I don’t see the benefit of having a crouch jumping mechanic :thinking:

I didn’t think crouch jumping was a thing in Halo 5. I assumed it was kinda phased out with the addition of the “auto climb ledges” feature. I’m not sure if that’s the correct name lol but I think you understand what I’m referring to.

> 2533274813118219;3:
> I didn’t think crouch jumping was a thing in Halo 5. I assumed it was kinda phased out with the addition of the “auto climb ledges” feature. I’m not sure if that’s the correct name lol but I think you understand what I’m referring to.

I think it’s called “clamor”, as in clamoring up a cliff. With enhanced mobility, I really don’t see a benefit to having it, so if Infinite ditches the enhanced mobility then I’d like to see it return. Though with it we would also need the ability to actually break out of the map instead of being killed for not “returning to battlefield”.

Crouch jumping never left, it’s still there in Halo 5 - and I don’t mean clamber, you can actualy crouch jump in Halo 5. I don’t / can’t see that being removed in future games

> 2535435902217648;4:
> > 2533274813118219;3:
> > I didn’t think crouch jumping was a thing in Halo 5. I assumed it was kinda phased out with the addition of the “auto climb ledges” feature. I’m not sure if that’s the correct name lol but I think you understand what I’m referring to.
>
> I think it’s called “clamor”, as in clamoring up a cliff. With enhanced mobility, I really don’t see a benefit to having it, so if Infinite ditches the enhanced mobility then I’d like to see it return. Though with it we would also need the ability to actually break out of the map instead of being killed for not “returning to battlefield”.

“Clamor” is a loud noise.

What you are referring to is ‘clamber’ which is to climb something.

I’m sure there’ll at least be a little bit like in H5. If H5 with all its movement options had it, I think Infinite will.

No, Halo Infinite will be the first Halo to not allow the player to crouch. Players in Halo Infinite will also not be able to run forwards.

> 2533274904158628;2:
> Crouch jumping is in Halo 5? Along with other tricks such as making use of stabilize and ground pound to reach farther platforms? To be honest, I think those things are a bit silly. I’m not a fan of having so many movement mechanics that it becomes necessary to perform obscure tricks to reach higher/farther ledges. Why not just make every normal jump have the extra height of a crouch jump already built in, and remove the need to do any tricks to jump higher? Wouldn’t that be better and more simple? I don’t see the benefit of having a crouch jumping mechanic :thinking:

“Why not just make every normal jump have the extra height of a crouch jump already built in, and remove the need to do any tricks to jump higher?”
What are you, a heretic?

> 2533274904158628;2:
> Crouch jumping is in Halo 5? Along with other tricks such as making use of stabilize and ground pound to reach farther platforms? To be honest, I think those things are a bit silly. I’m not a fan of having so many movement mechanics that it becomes necessary to perform obscure tricks to reach higher/farther ledges. Why not just make every normal jump have the extra height of a crouch jump already built in, and remove the need to do any tricks to jump higher? Wouldn’t that be better and more simple? I don’t see the benefit of having a crouch jumping mechanic :thinking:

Crouch jumping is sort of a given mechanic for 3d fps games. You cannot call it obscure it is classic.

> 2533274820921157;10:
> Crouch jumping is sort of a given mechanic for 3d fps games. You cannot call it obscure it is classic.

ok, but I called it obscure because Halo is the only 3D FPS game I play, so I wouldn’t know if it’s in other ones, and I wouldn’t have known it’s even in Halo if it wasn’t for forum posts like this one, because it’s not like it tells you how to crouch jump anywhere in-game. Maybe “obscure” wasn’t the best word to use, I was thinking more like “hidden” or “advanced”

I doubt it gets forgotten about. Crouching in the air to adjust leg height and clear certain walls easier and make certain jumps even possible is a tool for traversing many multiplayer maps effectively.

Not just that, but I even still use it a ton in Halo 5. There’s plenty of times where a crouch is needed to make a jump otherwise I’d need to clamber into the opening, but sometimes I’m so hurt that clambering can and has stopped me from getting out of the line of fire in time. Ever since I’ve chosen to use crouch jumps again it literally can save you from dying in a lot of “through the window” situations.

> 2533274881560701;6:
> > 2535435902217648;4:
> > > 2533274813118219;3:
> > > I didn’t think crouch jumping was a thing in Halo 5. I assumed it was kinda phased out with the addition of the “auto climb ledges” feature. I’m not sure if that’s the correct name lol but I think you understand what I’m referring to.
> >
> > I think it’s called “clamor”, as in clamoring up a cliff. With enhanced mobility, I really don’t see a benefit to having it, so if Infinite ditches the enhanced mobility then I’d like to see it return. Though with it we would also need the ability to actually break out of the map instead of being killed for not “returning to battlefield”.
>
> “Clamor” is a loud noise.
>
> What you are referring to is ‘clamber’ which is to climb something.

A gotcha thank you, that’s what I was thinking of, My high school English teacher will be sorely disappointed lol

> 2533274825830455;8:
> No, Halo Infinite will be the first Halo to not allow the player to crouch. Players in Halo Infinite will also not be able to run forwards.

Pre-ordered! I love the sound of those new innovative mechanics!
Running forwards has been done to death…

> 2533274825830455;8:
> No, Halo Infinite will be the first Halo to not allow the player to crouch. Players in Halo Infinite will also not be able to run forwards.

Actual link to source interview

> 2535424777392951;1:
> It’s been in every Halo FPS from CE to Guardians where you hold crouch mid-jump to give you an added boost in height to land on higher platforms. But with Halo Infinite being developed on a new engine, I really hope 343 doesn’t forget about this.

I’ll keep an eye on this one for you :slight_smile:

> 2533274904158628;2:

These tricks to reach higher/further ledges increase the skill gap within the game. Not every player will know the tricks so players are able to traverse the map quicker and more efficiently if they know the complete ins and outs of the map. Crouch jumping in the past help with this as more knowledgeable players will know what they are able to do. Halo 5 also had stabilisation spa, spring jumping, super jumping, etc. The movement in 5 has a HUGE skill gap that rewards players if they know how to pull these tricks off consistently, that’s just one reason why I love 5 but in short, no, Infinite will NOT remove crouch jumping

Man, crouch jumping is fun and im mad at all yall bashing it. Hahaha

Crouch jumping is and has been in all Halos. I crouch jump in Halo 5 all the time instead of using mobility abilities. Infact id go as far as to say that I a lot of times find it better to use than clamber.

This isn’t even a diss to clamber, I don’t mind it in the game. I know some people don’t like it but it’s never bothered me.

All this to say, crouch jumping has always been here, why would it go? I feel like there would be more effort to remove it than to leave it how it is. Like think how weird it would be if you couldn’t crouch whilst jumping when we have been allowed to for the last 21 years? Lol I’m confused by some of this convo.

I’m rambling, crouch jumps ftw

> 2533274949158966;17:
> These tricks to reach higher/further ledges increase the skill gap within the game. Not every player will know the tricks so players are able to traverse the map quicker and more efficiently if they know the complete ins and outs of the map. Crouch jumping in the past help with this as more knowledgeable players will know what they are able to do. Halo 5 also had stabilisation spa, spring jumping, super jumping, etc. The movement in 5 has a HUGE skill gap that rewards players if they know how to pull these tricks off consistently, that’s just one reason why I love 5 but in short, no, Infinite will NOT remove crouch jumping

I’ve got nothing against the idea of a skill gap, at least when it comes to gunplay and map memorization. It’s certainly better when players are rewarded for skill in aiming, strafing, knowing powerup/weapon/vehicle spawns etc. But there’s a fine line between game mechanics that widen the skill gap, and game mechanics that do nothing except make things more difficult for newer players who haven’t heard about them.

Here’s a hypothetical scenario for you to consider: let’s say Halo Infinite turns out to be a great game, but whenever you start a match in it, you have to input the Konami Code on your controller before you can shoot. Suppose further that it never tells you about this anywhere in-game, so people have to learn it from external websites and forums. Technically, such a situation would increase the skill gap between players with this knowledge and players without it, but is that always a good thing?

Here’s a real example: Halo 5 introduced a mechanic where you can increase the red reticle range of your energy sword by holding the Smart-link button and “zooming in”. It’s my understanding that this was somewhat controversial, because it didn’t add much depth to the actual gameplay, and accomplished pretty much nothing besides punishing newer players for not knowing about it.

Personally I’m on the fence about that one. It is fun once you learn you can do that with energy swords, but I also felt like it was perfectly fine when everyone’s swords always had the same RRR, too. Ideally, less well-known mechanics such as that one would get an explanation in campaign or something. Maybe when you pick up an energy sword in campaign, some NPC could tell you to hold the Smart-link button to zoom for longer lunge range, or even just have an on-screen dialog box saying so.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but as far as I can remember, there’s no such information given to the player about this mechanic for energy swords within Halo 5. And I’m sure the same is true of crouch jumping to reach taller ledges. If a movement mechanic is going to be in the game, I feel like it should #1 have an explanation somewhere in-game about how and why to perform it, and #2 add something to deepen the gameplay beyond making things that should be easy difficult.

As far as I know, crouch jumping currently doesn’t meet the first condition, and I’d say it’s debatable whether it meets the second one. I see no downside to designing maps and movement mechanics that make getting around the map smooth and easy, so players can focus on the actual gun duels instead of worrying about whether they can reach ledges. Making it harder to get around the map without esoteric knowledge of some hidden mechanic like crouch jumping seems a lot like artificial difficulty to me. Make Halo easy to learn, hard to master. Just my opinion.

> 2533274904158628;19:
> > 2533274949158966;17:
> > These tricks to reach higher/further ledges increase the skill gap within the game. Not every player will know the tricks so players are able to traverse the map quicker and more efficiently if they know the complete ins and outs of the map. Crouch jumping in the past help with this as more knowledgeable players will know what they are able to do. Halo 5 also had stabilisation spa, spring jumping, super jumping, etc. The movement in 5 has a HUGE skill gap that rewards players if they know how to pull these tricks off consistently, that’s just one reason why I love 5 but in short, no, Infinite will NOT remove crouch jumping
>
> I’ve got nothing against the idea of a skill gap, at least when it comes to gunplay and map memorization. It’s certainly better when players are rewarded for skill in aiming, strafing, knowing powerup/weapon/vehicle spawns etc. But there’s a fine line between game mechanics that widen the skill gap, and game mechanics that do nothing except make things more difficult for newer players who haven’t heard about them.
>
> Here’s a hypothetical scenario for you to consider: let’s say Halo Infinite turns out to be a great game, but whenever you start a match in it, you have to input the Konami Code on your controller before you can shoot. Suppose further that it never tells you about this anywhere in-game, so people have to learn it from external websites and forums. Technically, such a situation would increase the skill gap between players with this knowledge and players without it, but is that always a good thing?
>
> Here’s a real example: Halo 5 introduced a mechanic where you can increase the red reticle range of your energy sword by holding the Smart-link button and “zooming in”. It’s my understanding that this was somewhat controversial, because it didn’t add much depth to the actual gameplay, and accomplished pretty much nothing besides punishing newer players for not knowing about it.
>
> Personally I’m on the fence about that one. It is fun once you learn you can do that with energy swords, but I also felt like it was perfectly fine when everyone’s swords always had the same RRR, too. Ideally, less well-known mechanics such as that one would get an explanation in campaign or something. Maybe when you pick up an energy sword in campaign, some NPC could tell you to hold the Smart-link button to zoom for longer lunge range, or even just have an on-screen dialog box saying so.
>
> Please correct me if I’m wrong, but as far as I can remember, there’s no such information given to the player about this mechanic for energy swords within Halo 5. And I’m sure the same is true of crouch jumping to reach taller ledges. If a movement mechanic is going to be in the game, I feel like it should #1 have an explanation somewhere in-game about how and why to perform it, and #2 add something to deepen the gameplay beyond making things that should be easy difficult.
>
> As far as I know, crouch jumping currently doesn’t meet the first condition, and I’d say it’s debatable whether it meets the second one. I see no downside to designing maps and movement mechanics that make getting around the map smooth and easy, so players can focus on the actual gun duels instead of worrying about whether they can reach ledges. Making it harder to get around the map without esoteric knowledge of some hidden mechanic like crouch jumping seems a lot like artificial difficulty to me. Make Halo easy to learn, hard to master. Just my opinion.

It is easy to learn and hard to master, that’s the point…
Players can get around the map easily with normal jumps and clamber, but a more experienced player knows how to get to the same place a couple of seconds faster. If you have better gun skill than the person with better map knowledge then chances are you’re still going to beat them in a 1v1 situation. Look at guardian in Halo 3 at gold lift. You can use the lift to get to the floor above and make a bunch of noise and be stuck in the lifts arc until it puts you down on the floor OR you can use the map geomentary on the right side of the lift which is intended for players to drop back down, to get up making less noise and just that little bit faster

Here’s a video for context - Halo 3 Guardian Gold 1 to Gold 2 Useful Jump Tutorial - YouTube