Will 343 ever address the playercount removal?

Greetings Spartans.

It it has been around 3-4 weeks since the player count in Halo Reach was removed from the game. 343 have not formally addressed us on the situation or had any feedback to whether it will ever come back in future but assuming it was taken out in the last patch, it is most likely gone forever.

A lot of us rely on the playercount system because of the amount of unused playlists in the game and it is illogical to remove it after five years of working perfectly fine. There is a lot of speculation that 343 has removed this feature because the player numbers on Reach were higher than Halo 5 and we have seen evidence of this in Halo 5 comparisons in the top 25 played which links to a strong reason to why the feature was removed.

I find it very disrespectful that they will not address this issue with the community as it still has many hundreds of thousands of active users. To remove a feature is one thing but to not address it with your users is another.

I have left a poll to see how many others feel the same.

EDIT:

Affected timespan [June 23 2016 - July 20 2016]

As of June 21st 2016 the population counter is now working again. If this happens again in future I will refer to an updated thread.

I would like to thank everyone for their input and helping to get the issue addressed.

I don’t think there were more people on Reach than 5. But I do miss the player count-- it was a lot of help knowing what times to play in my favorite playlists, which often were some of the less popular ones.

I agree fully, I tend to play alot in the early morning and there are usually not many other players online. It is useful to know whether I will be wasting my time waiting for a game or not.

They should bring it back. I don’t think it matters how many players one game has over another. Plus, they need to start listening to the players, because they always assume they know what we want/need and don’t want/need.

I only go on playlists at certain times from memory as to what the population count showed previously before it got taken off. It is always useful to know what playlists are dead and what ones are worth going on to.

I want to see this come back, because I don’t want to waste time waiting for a match when there is no one on the playlist

I don’t really know if it was an actually decision they made to remove it. I think it was more of a Microsoft decision to stop displaying server count. I could be wrong but usually its the publisher who usually pays for the servers. Since it’s an old game and not as may users play it as much as the newer editions of the franchise. Microsoft probably saw that rather then pay extra amounts of money for security and maintenance to keep these servers running to cut back on it a bit. No harm really, you still get to play online which is nice.

Again I’m not entirely sure on the whole publisher thing I just know its a money issue.

XO

> 2533274856626311;7:
> I don’t really know if it was an actually decision they made to remove it. I think it was more of a Microsoft decision to stop displaying server count. I could be wrong but usually its the publisher who usually pays for the servers. Since it’s an old game and not as may users play it as much as the newer editions of the franchise. Microsoft probably saw that rather then pay extra amounts of money for security and maintenance to keep these servers running to cut back on it a bit. No harm really, you still get to play online which is nice.
>
> Again I’m not entirely sure on the whole publisher thing I just know its a money issue.
>
> XO

Reach still has a large player base it was the game that kept the series alive after Halo 4 failed to keep a community and MCC was just broken and abandoned. The player count on Halo 3 still works and it’s a game from 2007 and is barley alive.

The thing that gets me is how shady 343 are going about implementing this they have no respect by telling the community what is going on. Under thier patch notes for when the removal was implemented they only mention improvements to the game even though features have been removed meanwhile boasting about monthly active users on Halo 5 when the statistic is does not represent the active player count. I just find it dishonest.

> 2533274894523479;8:
> > 2533274856626311;7:
> > I don’t really know if it was an actually decision they made to remove it. I think it was more of a Microsoft decision to stop displaying server count. I could be wrong but usually its the publisher who usually pays for the servers. Since it’s an old game and not as may users play it as much as the newer editions of the franchise. Microsoft probably saw that rather then pay extra amounts of money for security and maintenance to keep these servers running to cut back on it a bit. No harm really, you still get to play online which is nice.
> >
> > Again I’m not entirely sure on the whole publisher thing I just know its a money issue.
> >
> > XO
>
>
> Reach still has a large player base it was the game that kept the series alive after Halo 4 failed to keep a community and MCC was just broken and abandoned. The player count on Halo 3 still works and it’s a game from 2007 and is barley alive.
>
> The thing that gets me is how shady 343 are going about implementing this they have no respect by telling the community what is going on. Under thier patch notes for when the removal was implemented they only mention improvements to the game even though features have been removed meanwhile boasting about monthly active users on Halo 5 when the statistic is does not represent the active player count. I just find it dishonest.

I apologize for making you think I was going against your remarks. It could also just be a bug in the system that they didn’t notice when applying the patch. Who knows they haven’t seen anyone’s remarks about it visually with their own eyes yet either and that could be the reason that its not fixed. The world may never know!

XO

It’s a player count, not really important, especially when there are many other games doing better than reach and they too don’t have a player count. It’s always gotta be “343s scared that older games are doing better than their game” or “they’re embarrassed by their numbers and therefore don’t show it”. Should I believe overwhatch or doom are doing good if they too don’t show a player count? Hell, I don’t think even Bo3 has one but I haven’t played it so long to remember precisely.

343 needs to, but they probably don’t have the urgency to due to the fact we arn’t makeing a huge stink out of it.

We should though, we deserve to know what happened.

> 2533274847563380;11:
> 343 needs to, but they probably don’t have the urgency to due to the fact we arn’t makeing a huge stink out of it.
>
> We should though, we deserve to know what happened.

I know a lot of people who think the game is dead because of the playercount and in the long term it will be a decline in the community. Reach has a massive amount of playlists many more than the others in the series. The survival of BTB and Multiteam probably won’t last as players no longer know how long or if ever they will find a match as a few people here in the thread have already said.

This is should be something talked about from people with influence like the larger Halo YouTube channels. Reach is a game I and many hundreds of thousands still play and enjoy so they deserve some respect like you said.

Player count shows up for me as of now

> 2533274937003153;13:
> Player count shows up for me as of now

same,I think they re added it

> 2533274923986823;14:
> > 2533274937003153;13:
> > Player count shows up for me as of now
>
>
> same,I think they re added it

I will check this tonight

> 2533274923986823;14:
> > 2533274937003153;13:
> > Player count shows up for me as of now
>
>
> same,I think they re added it

I don’t believe it was ever intentionally removed, more likely there has been an issue with some of the server or databases that run the population counter.

When you are looking for a game, look at the blue grid (Auntie Dot) , with a lot of players the grid shine and squares appears everywhere…

When nothing happen, don’t expect one too much.

Happy to update that the population counter appears to be functioning again. Hopefully this will now be up for the rest of the lifespan Reach has.

I will close the poll a week following to ensure the problem does not come back in the next few days. If it does get taken down again in the significant future I won’t report it on this thread.

I would like to point out that during this time 343 has not addressed us in any capacity which I think they need to improve on.

Thanks to everyone for posting and bringing up your concerns, I’m confident that it did help the problem get fixed.

> 2533274894523479;8:
> > 2533274856626311;7:
> > I don’t really know if it was an actually decision they made to remove it. I think it was more of a Microsoft decision to stop displaying server count. I could be wrong but usually its the publisher who usually pays for the servers. Since it’s an old game and not as may users play it as much as the newer editions of the franchise. Microsoft probably saw that rather then pay extra amounts of money for security and maintenance to keep these servers running to cut back on it a bit. No harm really, you still get to play online which is nice.
> >
> > Again I’m not entirely sure on the whole publisher thing I just know its a money issue.
> >
> > XO
>
>
> Reach still has a large player base it was the game that kept the series alive after Halo 4 failed to keep a community and MCC was just broken and abandoned. The player count on Halo 3 still works and it’s a game from 2007 and is barley alive.
>
> The thing that gets me is how shady 343 are going about implementing this they have no respect by telling the community what is going on. Under thier patch notes for when the removal was implemented they only mention improvements to the game even though features have been removed meanwhile boasting about monthly active users on Halo 5 when the statistic is does not represent the active player count. I just find it dishonest.

I agree with what you said about the Reach playlists being better than Halo 4’s and the game keeping fans from abandoning the franchise altogether. It’s almost like Bungie anticipated a potential failure, so they made a game that would be loved over and over again

> 2535462239370647;19:
> > 2533274894523479;8:
> > > 2533274856626311;7:
> > > I don’t really know if it was an actually decision they made to remove it. I think it was more of a Microsoft decision to stop displaying server count. I could be wrong but usually its the publisher who usually pays for the servers. Since it’s an old game and not as may users play it as much as the newer editions of the franchise. Microsoft probably saw that rather then pay extra amounts of money for security and maintenance to keep these servers running to cut back on it a bit. No harm really, you still get to play online which is nice.
> > >
> > > Again I’m not entirely sure on the whole publisher thing I just know its a money issue.
> > >
> > > XO
> >
> >
> > Reach still has a large player base it was the game that kept the series alive after Halo 4 failed to keep a community and MCC was just broken and abandoned. The player count on Halo 3 still works and it’s a game from 2007 and is barley alive.
> >
> > The thing that gets me is how shady 343 are going about implementing this they have no respect by telling the community what is going on. Under thier patch notes for when the removal was implemented they only mention improvements to the game even though features have been removed meanwhile boasting about monthly active users on Halo 5 when the statistic is does not represent the active player count. I just find it dishonest.
>
>
> I agree with what you said about the Reach playlists being better than Halo 4’s and the game keeping fans from abandoning the franchise altogether. It’s almost like Bungie anticipated a potential failure, so they made a game that would be loved over and over again

“Anticipated a potential failure”, they were the failure lol, 343 just continued it cuz why not right? If the creators see the need to destroy something, may as well follow. Reach has an average pop of 15k a day, I just wonder where this “hundreds of thousands still play” come from. That’s just as bad as those whom say h5 has “500k players”.