Why you should hold off on the Champion DLC

Now I know many of you are just aching for all the perks included in this new dlc bundle. However, I’d ask you to keep your money in your pocket and wait a while in the hopes that 343 might actually listen to what’s ever left of the fan-base.

-Main Argument-
What’s the point of buying this DLC or any of their downloadable content in the future? None of the past DlC is a requirement, so all that money that you spent for previous installments is a complete waste. The maps show up for a few months in a special playlist that quickly dwindles after everyone gets the achievements. 343 will never make the maps a requirement because that might repel the casual players which will never purchase the map packs to begin with.

-What about “The Pit” that alone should warrant the purchase-
I know everyone wants this map pack primarily for this map, but again what’s the point if you can’t enjoy it in the regular map rotation? Not to mention that you don’t know what changes that were put in place. 343 had to consider the new game modifications such as jet pack when adding this map.

-The armor permutations-
This is a cheap ploy developers are using now, trading a digital aesthetic for real money. However, in the case of 343 studios its even worse since they rather suppress individuality and talent so that everyone feels equivalent and no one’s feelings get hurt. What I mean to say is look at the armor in the game. All the permutations look so similar and all the colors in the game are so muted that it makes almost no difference what your spartan looks like. The only thing that stands out on a spartan is the color of his visor.

-Closing-
So there you go I presented a few reasons that I hope you take into consideration, but I know the majority of you won’t. There are only a few people who visit these boards now and I know how hard it is to resist new flashy things, and I know it’s entirely your choice and your money. I just hope that if your reading this you’ve thought about it to some extent.

-Miscellaneous Thoughts-
I wish 343 would really listen to the fans instead of just crushing our hopes because it’s making it really hard to stick with the franchise that I love. So many of my friends are gone and probably won’t return to the game. 343 went after the casual fans who dropped Halo 4 after a few months. I understand that what was the core is not the entire fan-base and they don’t speak for everyone. However, I believe that the things we want the most would bring Halo out of its slump. None of the great people or things in life got to where they were by mimicking others. I wish halo would return to its previous self with the newer modifications. It would be so easy to bring the ranks(yes I am saying what a million people cry for and there’s a reason)back and visible to everyone. Having a ranked playlist with the old halo settings sprint included, would solve so many problems. You could have the classic halo and put all your new inventions into the social playlist. You could make the ranked require that the map packs are purchased. It would bring competition back into the fold and give players a reason to return to the game. Stop trying to mute everything so everyone’s the same, because we’re not. As human beings we are all individuals. We want to express ourselves and have fun, believe it or not competition is completely healthy and is fun to some people. I truthfully believe that if 343 keeps going in the direction of the casual player Halo will die. They don’t care about the franchise they just buy what seems in at the time then drop it after a few months. Your community complains and pleas with you for future changes don’t let it fall on deaf ears.

I haven’t bought a single map pack to this game but as soon as 343 make the majority of the playlists ALL DLC REQUIRED I’m buying them. I see no point in buying them now except for achievements (but I’m not really the achievement hunter type of gamer).

I think they ARE listening. People were asking for a classic map remake and classic armors. We got a map and two armors.

You made a wise choice anyway since the majority are big team and at a design point of view aren’t really all that different from one another.

I get DLC maps in regular rotation so I don’t see it as a complete waste. Are they as frequent as I’d like? No, but they do come up. If more people would by the DLC they would come up more often.

> I get DLC maps in regular rotation so I don’t see it as a complete waste. Are they as frequent as I’d like? No, but they do come up. If more people would by the DLC they would come up more often.

This.

I’m also a sucker for the cool weapon skins, stances, the new maps, and the armor (especially ODST). Halo 4 is also a game I play regularly and want to get 100% completion on.

So while I get where you’re coming from OP, but spending several hundred Microsoft points on Champions isn’t that bad of a deal to me.

Nah, I’m buying it, and I’m going to love it too.

> If more people would by the DLC they would come up more often.

Honestly, OP, your call to arms would actually do the opposite of want you intend. DLC doesn’t show up because people don’t buy it. If major playlists would require DLC, people would still refuse to buy it and the populations of those playlists would plummet. You’d basically be trading good connections for DLC maps.

The better solution would be to encourage people to buy it. The more people who have DLC, the more likely it is to appear as a voting option.

> None of the past DlC is a requirement, <mark>so all that money that you spent for previous installments is a complete waste.</mark>

All my hours of having fun playing DLC maps with friends would disagree with that highlighted statement. So far, every DLC has been worth it to me. Again, this is just my experience and opinion.

> I know everyone wants this map pack primarily for this map, but again what’s the point if you can’t enjoy it in the regular map rotation?

They seems to come up fairly regularly for me. Of course, most of my friends all have the DLC. When you search with friends who have the DLC, it increases your chances greatly of getting those maps.

> What’s the point of buying this DLC or any of their downloadable content in the future? None of the past DlC is a requirement, so all that money that you spent for previous installments is a complete waste. The maps show up for a few months in a special playlist that quickly dwindles after everyone gets the achievements.

This is sorta one of those ‘shoot yourself in the foot’ type statements

you’re reasoning behind wanting people not to buy DLC is because not enough people have it? surely then the solution is to try to encourage people (which, with the price of this one and the stuff involved… encourages me plently)

> This is a cheap ploy developers are using now, trading a digital aesthetic for real money. However, in the case of 343 studios its even worse since they rather suppress individuality and talent so that everyone feels equivalent and no one’s feelings get hurt. What I mean to say is look at the armor in the game. All the permutations look so similar and all the colors in the game are so muted that it makes almost no difference what your spartan looks like. The only thing that stands out on a spartan is the color of his visor.

Ok fine, not everybody is customization lover like me, i get that, but i’d hardly say its a ‘cheap ploy’ they DID go through the effort of making FULL armor sets designed nearly exactly like the Mark V from CEA, and the ODST from… ODST, Prefect is all new, so is ricochet, that did take effort… its not like CoD where they slap a color on a gun for 160msp…

> They seems to come up fairly regularly for me. Of course, most of my friends all have the DLC. When you search with friends who have the DLC, it increases your chances greatly of getting those maps.

I’ve only got two friends myself that still regularly play Halo 4 AND have the DLC maps :frowning:
For the first time ever we got to play Dominion on Outcast a few days ago. I’ve never played or even seen Dominion on DLC maps before, so it was very exciting.

> This is sorta one of those ‘shoot yourself in the foot’ type statements
>
> you’re reasoning behind wanting people not to buy DLC is because not enough people have it? surely then the solution is to try to encourage people (which, with the price of this one and the stuff involved… encourages me plently)

Agreed definitely. Saying “Don’t buy the DLC / I’m not going to buy the DLC” because not enough people have it will just make things worse.
The less people with the DLC the less the maps will show up. Telling people not to buy it will just make things worse.

It’d be nice if the Castle, Crimson, and Majestic packs could be bundled for a discount. It might make it more appealing (Though the “Not many people have it, so why bother” argument I see a lot may throw some people off…)

We all decide which DLC to buy. The Champions Bundle is a great deal. We get more things rather than just maps. It’s not like 343 is out to get us and punish us with overpricing DLC’s. This is their first project. Maybe they will do better in Halo 5.

Saying Halo 4 is bad is like all the waiting for 4 years was all for nothing. Sure alot of fans are disappointed with what Halo has taken in terms of direction. But 343 will do better in the future.

Yeeeeeah, I’m going to be getting it day one for sure.

More Halo 4 is something I want, I enjoy the game, I support the developers and the franchise, not to mention most of what is in this DLC is stuff that the community wanted.

As for the armors, what you said has nothing to do with the new sets. You don’t like the vanilla armors, you don’t like the colors, how does that make releasing heavily requested armors as DLC? Totally not worth bagging on 343 for giving us what we asked for… More is better, if you don’t like what they offer, don’t purchase it.

I’ve had every DLC for every Halo game and I have enjoyed them all thoroughly. If you want to sit on the sidelines and pout while I’m rocking my Mark V armor and dominating a game of Ricochet that’s your decision, personally I’d rather enjoy the game.

Op, from what I’m trying to get your driving us away from the bundle. If the more people buy it the more the maps will come up and the bundle is very cheap from what other companies would have charged.

P.S. The game itself isn’t fun you got to make it fun by things that you can try to enjoy or get use to.

I absolutely have to get the shark assault rifle skin and the odst armor.

> I get DLC maps in regular rotation so I don’t see it as a complete waste. Are they as frequent as I’d like? No, but they do come up. If more people would by the DLC they would come up more often.

^This^

I’m buying the whole pack the day it comes out. I love me some Mk. V and I love me some Pit too.

> -The armor permutations-
> This is a cheap ploy developers are using now, trading a digital aesthetic for real money. However, in the case of 343 studios its even worse since they rather suppress individuality and talent so that everyone feels equivalent and no one’s feelings get hurt. <mark>What I mean to say is look at the armor in the game. All the permutations look so similar and all the colors in the game are so muted that it makes almost no difference what your spartan looks like. The only thing that stands out on a spartan is the color of his visor.</mark>

This may only be me, but I notice what armours my enemies and teammates have.

> Nah, I’m buying it, and I’m going to love it too.

Well, new armor, new stances, new skins, new maps and more achievments for 10$. So yeah im still buying it.

My god, OP comes up with his opinion, backed up by his experience with matchmaking, and people here try to nullify his point, WHICH STANDS, by trying to force THEIR experiences on him?
What the?
Did no one understand?

He says DLC doesn’t show up as often as it could, because there’s no requirement and the play list is empty. Valid point. I don’t know what game you’re playing, but I can’t recall seeing DLC, neither. Some of my money IS wasted, because it doesn’t get a use often.
Is forcing the DLC on the customers a solution? That is the question here, not your experience. I actually have to disagree, there has to be a third which neither forces you to buy it or lets your money go to waste.

Btw, Mr. Monitor, playing with my DLC friends is not a proper solution. They already left the franchise. It is not my task as a paying customer to fix a broken game by convincing my friends into buying something. Think about that, friend.

Secondly, you’re so playing into 343’s hands buy buying it because of perks and skins. Why are they so late with it? Why has never anyone commented on whether armor DLC is possible? I’m not having problems with optional skin and armor DLC, I’m also buying the pack because of this. I’m having a problem with the developers not informing us of that possibilty and being late with it, despite HUGE demand. Why not make one armor for every season pass DLC, huh? I sense another cash source for H5’s construction here. Especially since ODST and Mark V should have been in the game since launch.
The message here is: GIVE THE CONSUMERS WHAT THEY WANT. 100% sure, if Mark V had been in a previous DLC, we’d see those maps more often in matchmaking.

Summary (tl, dr):
By buying ODST, Mark V, The Pit and all that maps you know you’re not using nearly as often as you could, you silently agree with 343’s business politics. I think it would be good to set a mark here to demonstrate how they should take care of their customers’ wishes.
Examples: Weapon tweaks earlier, not after the ship already sunk, popular armor from the beginning, actually caring about how people can make use of DLC, TALKING TO THE COMMUNITY, and so on.
I know all of you would like that, and this would be a chance to let 343 know.