Why Were The SPARTAN IV's Created?

Note: Whenever I talk about the SPARTAN IV program, I am referring to the current UNSC version. Not the failed ONI project.

I’ve always asked myself this question, though not to others. Thought I’d try asking my way out, mix things up a little.

From a lore standpoint, what was the thought process behind making SPARTAN IV’s? Correct me if i’m wrong—but If I remember correctly, when the UNSC was still developing this new SPARTAN program, its main purpose was to serve as an upgrade for SPARTAN II’s and III’s…right? Better gear, new abilities, etc. (I may be completely wrong here. But that’s what I gathered.) So if the original goal of SPARTAN IV was pretty much to be an effectiveness boost for previous SPARTAN’s, where did the idea of recruiting already high-quality soldiers come from?

Don’t get me wrong, it makes sense! It is objectively a more morally ethical SPARTAN program than you know, kidnapping children (SII) or manipulating/taking advantage of a recently traumatized child (SIII.) As such, the new edition of SPARTAN’s had a much larger variety of competent soldiers to choose from…without the risk of augmentations killing the majority of them like before. I’m just wondering: where did they get the idea?

Yeah, it sounds like a stupid question. But I personally never understood why for 1 reason. They were made during a fairly peaceful time. After the Covenant, and before the Prometheans. So what drove them to do it?

Following the Covenant War humanity went on a major remilitarisation effort for a range of reasons, but primarily due to galactic instability from various Covenant splinter groups, ONI’s wish to secure Forerunner artefacts, Securing any surviving colonies (both inner and outer which may include insurrectionist elements).

Started running out of IIs and IIIs. Needed more heroes.

Same reasons the previous generations existed (suppress rebellions) plus the covenant and forerunner threats, none of the internal nor external threats were eliminated during the human-covenant war so it was obvious the need of a constant supply of the most efficient troops the UNSC have seen to date in case of any of these threats arise again

Spartans proved to be an invaluable resource during the Covenant War, and even before that, were highly effective against the Insurrection. The UNSC loved the results, but were understandably squeamish about abducting children. So with improved augmentation protocols, the UNSC was able to create a new program using adult volunteers. The PR benefit of hundreds or even thousands of Spartans would also be a highly motivating reason to have a new program.

The UNSC saw the necessity for having super-soldiers, as they saved humanity from the Insurrectionists and Covenant alike. They were able to fight and beat external threats of immense power, and were seen as heroes. They boosted morale and built upon the legacy of the past generations of Spartans. With a more ethical approach to the program, IV’s were not kept classified. The UNSC needed a powerful military to keep Insurrectionists down and retake the lost worlds of the Human-Covenant War, and to explore new ones.

> 2535473534441034;1:
> where did the idea of recruiting already high-quality soldiers come from?

Technically the Spartan Program was originally for adults, that was Project Orion. Originally a failure it was re-classived as Spartan-I after halsey’s success. The S-IV’s are just the program meeting its original goals.

> 2535473534441034;1:
> Yeah, it sounds like a stupid question. But I personally never understood why for 1 reason. They were made during a fairly peaceful time. After the Covenant, and before the Prometheans. So what drove them to do it?

The UNSC has suffered major military losses, they need to project and have power quickly to have an upper hand and avoid being seen as easy prey by covenant remnants and any other forces. One of those ways is effectively doing more with less. And since the technology is now cheaper and safer, they can do without any moral issues.

I’m sure if they had the money and resources they’d convert their entire armed forces into spartans.

Why settled for having an inferior armed force when you just had a 25+ year war that proved they weren’t effective enough?

The current Spartan-IV program was the brainchild of Musa-096, a Spartan-II who lost use of his legs from the augmentations. Musa saw the need for more super soldiers, but disagreed with the recruitment methods used for the Spartan-II and III programs. So Musa went to ONI with an idea for adult volunteers, and ONI agreed. Even thought the Human-Covenant War was over, Musa knew that hardships were still abundant and that more supersoldiers would be necessary for the continued defense of humanity. He was able to convince ONI and UNSC high command of this necessity.

So if you want to boil it down to 1 reason, it’s the idea of being prepared. Musa wanted humanity to be prepared for anything, and saw new Spartans as the best way to make that happen.

I read once that S-IV program also had an advantage in their conscription method because of the “legends” about the previous generations and their feats, so now any outstanding soldier had the chance to become one of those legendary soldiers, which in turn granted a “goal” for any soldier no matter the branch they belong to, as long as they exceed expectations they can become a spartan, that plus UNSC interest in spartans as a whole make the program highly successful.

Here is a question for your question. Why wouldn’t the UNSC continue making Spartans?

The galaxy is by no means peaceful after the Human-Covenant War and if there is anything the 27 year long war has taught us. It is this: many of those aliens are bigger and stronger than your average human. Brutes, Elites and Hunters can only be matched by a Spartan or a fireteam that is carrying heavy ordanance. It also helps that mjolnir armor beats out any UNSC BDU’s currently fielded by the UNSC.

> 2533274866586671;10:
> Here is a question for your question. Why wouldn’t the UNSC continue making Spartans?
>
> The galaxy is by no means peaceful after the Human-Covenant War and if there is anything the 27 year long war has taught us. It is this: many of those aliens are bigger and stronger than your average human. Brutes, Elites and Hunters can only be matched by a Spartan or a fireteam that is carrying heavy ordanance. It also helps that mjolnir armor beats out any UNSC BDU’s currently fielded by the UNSC.

Hah, fair enough

Is there spartan ix or x

> 2535426179250539;12:
> Is there spartan ix or x

You skipped about 4 iterations of Spartan. We just passed 4. 9 and 10 arent even THEORIZED yet.

> 2535473534441034;1:
> **Note: Whenever I talk about the SPARTAN IV program, I am referring to the current UNSC version. Not the failed ONI project.**I’ve always asked myself this question, though not to others. Thought I’d try asking my way out, mix things up a little. From a lore standpoint, what was the thought process behind making SPARTAN IV’s? Correct me if i’m wrong—but If I remember correctly, when the UNSC was still developing this new SPARTAN program, its main purpose was to serve as an upgrade for SPARTAN II’s and III’s…right? Better gear, new abilities, etc. (I may be completely wrong here. But that’s what I gathered.) So if the original goal of SPARTAN IV was pretty much to be an effectiveness boost for previous SPARTAN’s, where did the idea of recruiting already high-quality soldiers come from?
>
> Don’t get me wrong, it makes sense! It is objectively a more morally ethical SPARTAN program than you know, kidnapping children (SII) or manipulating/taking advantage of a recently traumatized child (SIII.) As such, the new edition of SPARTAN’s had a much larger variety of competent soldiers to choose from…without the risk of augmentations killing the majority of them like before. I’m just wondering: where did they get the idea?
>
> Yeah, it sounds like a stupid question. But I personally never understood why for 1 reason. They were made during a fairly peaceful time. After the Covenant, and before the Prometheans. So what drove them to do it?