Why were HUD Map Callouts removed?

This is an issue that I really haven’t seen brought up.

Perhaps I have been mistaken, or perhaps it was just held from the early build, but I have yet to see any of the Map Callouts on the HUD. Callouts are a MUST for successful team play, and I think that Reach really did a good thing by including them on the HUD. Not only did it let players who were unfamiliar with the map have a way of calling out enemies, but it also established a global callout between players.

In H2 and H3, aside from what was coined by MLG, many players had their own callouts for different areas, which was pretty dang confusing if you go in with random teammates.

I really would like to know why it was omitted from Halo 4.

I have never once used the built-in callouts. Always came up with my own.

The built in ones are bad and no one uses them. Also forged maps didn’t work with it.

wtf are u talking bout callouts??? ive played every hlo game and i dont see wtf could be used s a callout dude

Ever stopped to think that it just wasn’t present in the build yet. Game’s not finished…

I never used the callouts. I just make up ones.

> I have never once used the built-in callouts. <mark>Always came up with my own.</mark>

This. Between playing in-game chat with MLG playlists, and just generalizing areas, I never bothered to learn built in callouts.

> I have never once used the built-in callouts. Always came up with my own.

I bet at least some of your callouts stemmed from the default callouts.

> The built in ones are bad and no one uses them. Also forged maps didn’t work with it.

A lot of people use them. I highly doubt you’ve played Powerhouse and have not heard “Office, PH2, Dormitories”.

> Ever stopped to think that it just wasn’t present in the build yet. Game’s not finished…

Which was why I said:

> perhaps it was just held from the early build

> The built in ones are bad and no one uses them.

Where are your facts to back up this claim? I used callouts often. I believe they were essential and actually promoted teamwork.

> Also forged maps didn’t work with it.

Perhaps adding “Callout Zones” to Forge would address this issue.

It’s really not that big of a deal. The first three didn’t have them and it was fine, and there’s really no need for them. It pretty much came from Shadowrun, except it worked better in that game.

> It’s really not that big of a deal. The first three didn’t have them and it was fine, and there’s really no need for them. It pretty much came from Shadowrun, except it worked better in that game.

I agree that everything worked out fine for the previous Halo games, I just can’t see how it was beneficial to take it out. It only helped.

> > The built in ones are bad and no one uses them. Also forged maps didn’t work with it.
>
> A lot of people use them. I highly doubt you’ve played Powerhouse and have not heard “Office, PH2, Dormitories”.

Powerhouse is one of my favourite maps and I have absolutely no idea what these callouts are referring to.

Bungie had a good idea to place the callouts on the maps but the text seemed so small and unnoticeable that many people never payed attention to them. Plus no one memorized the callout names so it was just easier to describe the place in general terms.

The built in callouts were useless because the best time to use a callout was when you died, and once you died the callout vanished from the HUD. This leaves the player to say “one shot on my X”… again.

I thought on map callouts were a fantastic idea, but they just weren’t useful or short enough. I wouldnt mind seeing them return if they were more useful and less cumbersome. 2 syllables or less is the rule of thumb.

Most people just use Power Weapon locations as their callouts so most people just didn’t take the time to learn the real ones in Reach when they were so used to what they had been doing since Halo 1. However, with the new weapon drop system being implemented in Halo 4 this may be a problem.

I personally liked them. People who didn’t use them don’t know how to play the game.
Sometimes I’d make up my own name, but I liked the option to see what each area was called.
Also, I wish in you could give a callout name to specific pieces in forge.

I never really noticed them and never really used them, just as I never used the compass on the top of my HUD in Reach. I probably used the compass on the AR more than the one above the health and shield indicator. However, if they do put them in, since they aren’t in the beta builds and could possibly be in the final build, feel free to use them as you please. Lord knows I might not notice them enough to use them.

Most of Reach’s callouts were overcomplicated and vague.

For instance, on Countdown, the stairwell on both sides was just “Stairwell”, and most areas didn’t say what floor they were on.

So most people ignored the in-game room names, and just used their own callouts anyway, like “Red lift” in Swordbase. Especially on Forge Maps, where the entire map would usually have the same callout.

Honestly- Callouts were great. Saying “Yeah, I’m pinned down in Alaska”, is better than “Hey, I’m pinned down in that one plateau-like area closest to the waterfalls, across from the island and ba- never mind, they already killed me”.

They’re almost never used. But they could be in the final build.