Why We Need a Custom Games Matchmaking

I think it is safe to assume Halo 5 has the best forge of all time. It may not be that user friendly but at least for me I gladly sacrifice this for the potential of this forge system. Where forge clearly excels at is custom games. Especially now that infection is out, the possibilities are actually endless for what creative, fun, and interesting types of custom games can be made.

Hell, all you have to do is go on youtube and just check out what has been made and you will be in awe. But the main problem is that the general Halo 5 playerbase does not really have a good access to playing such games. Yes you can easily download them now, but I am talking about getting a lobby for custom games.

Before I go any further I just want to stop and say that, believe it or not, people on the forums do not actually represent the entire Halo community. There are plenty of casual players who don’t look at forums of videogames. Because of this, their ability to access the incredible amounts of fun experiences is severely limited. You guys may have plenty of friends or a spartan company that you can play with, but thats not true for many other players.

I believe these casual players need to be able to experience Halo 5 custom games at its best. An Action Sack playlist would definitely be a step in the right direction, but even then I feel like Action Sack gamemodes never really portrayed what made Halo custom games great. Come to think of it, did action sack ever implement custom infection games? Adding a plethora of gamemodes that don’t always have to be team based would surely be the right way to implement a CG matchmaking.

Another idea I had, and many have suggested before, is a way to join a custom games lobby through halo matchmaking. What this means is that a player can search for a lobby (be it random or selecting from a list?) and join someone who has started to set up a custom game and has the publicity to “open.”

I think this implementation would be one of the biggest and most innovative things a Halo game has ever done for its custom games scene. As we see the incredible games emerge, we really do need a better way to allow everyone with Halo 5 to experience them, and I think this is the perfect way.

I completely agree with you. Custom games in halo reach was the best time I’ve ever had in any game. A system like this in halo 5 wouldn’t be all that bad.

Matchmaking in Custom Games would make this Halo the best Halo by far, not sure how they could do it though.

> 2533274816174599;1:
> I think it is safe to assume Halo 5 has the best forge of all time. It may not be that user friendly but at least for me I gladly sacrifice this for the potential of this forge system. Where forge clearly excels at is custom games. Especially now that infection is out, the possibilities are actually endless for what creative, fun, and interesting types of custom games can be made.
>
> Hell, all you have to do is go on youtube and just check out what has been made and you will be in awe. But the main problem is that the general Halo 5 playerbase does not really have a good access to playing such games. Yes you can easily download them now, but I am talking about getting a lobby for custom games.
>
> Before I go any further I just want to stop and say that, believe it or not, people on the forums do not actually represent the entire Halo community. There are plenty of casual players who don’t look at forums of videogames. Because of this, their ability to access the incredible amounts of fun experiences is severely limited. You guys may have plenty of friends or a spartan company that you can play with, but thats not true for many other players.
>
> I believe these casual players need to be able to experience Halo 5 custom games at its best. An Action Sack playlist would definitely be a step in the right direction, but even then I feel like Action Sack gamemodes never really portrayed what made Halo custom games great. Come to think of it, did action sack ever implement custom infection games? Adding a plethora of gamemodes that don’t always have to be team based would surely be the right way to implement a CG matchmaking.
>
> Another idea I had, and many have suggested before, is a way to join a custom games lobby through halo matchmaking. What this means is that a player can search for a lobby (be it random or selecting from a list?) and join someone who has started to set up a custom game and has the publicity to “open.”
>
> I think this implementation would be one of the biggest and most innovative things a Halo game has ever done for its custom games scene. As we see the incredible games emerge, we really do need a better way to allow everyone with Halo 5 to experience them, and I think this is the perfect way.

What a great idea. Thanks for taking the time to explain :slight_smile:

I agree, if they put effort in they could make it work. It doesn’t need a ranking system or anything either. It would definately make this not only one of the most interesting Halos yet, but one of the most interesting FPS as well. When younger I used to play WarCraft III and StarCraft alot, and they have been popular for over a decade after release because of the ability for the players to create their own games, with their own maps and game styles. Essentialy giving near limitless possibilities for games, while requiring minimal effort on the part of the games creators.

Action Sack FTW

Using words like Matchmaking and Playlists will scare 343 away. They don’t want anything like this to compete with Warzone/Arena. A Custom Games Lobby Browser is what we need, and is less likely to scare 343 away. Ideally the host would have an option to make his session Public, and indicate what type of lobby it is (competitive, minigame, race, variety, etc.). Then people could look for hosts playing the type of lobby they are interested in, and make a choice based on player count and what not. Obviously a lot of thought would have to go into it to work well, but that’s the basic premise that most people want I think. Something like that would barely compete with actual matchmaking playlists.

> 2535436108997217;3:
> Matchmaking in Custom Games would make this Halo the best Halo by far, not sure how they could do it though.

Its pretty simple. You just select some “find a custom game” or “join a custom game” option and it will search for someone hosting a custom game. If you don’t prefer what the host is setting up, you can simply back out, or even just set up your own lobby.

Another potential idea if this was matchmaking and not just joining someone’s lobby would be having the server alternate who is the “party leader” so you take turns picking a game you want to play.

Either way this gives the players hands on experience on just how fun Halo 5’s custom games are.

> 2533274818508074;5:
> I agree, if they put effort in they could make it work. It doesn’t need a ranking system or anything either. It would definately make this not only one of the most interesting Halos yet, but one of the most interesting FPS as well. When younger I used to play WarCraft III and StarCraft alot, and they have been popular for over a decade after release because of the ability for the players to create their own games, with their own maps and game styles. Essentialy giving near limitless possibilities for games, while requiring minimal effort on the part of the games creators.

This right here. Warcraft III custom games were the -Yoink-, and it always made me want to try new games that people were creating. I feel like the same would be true of Halo and they could implement a basic system like WC3 or Counter-strike to where you can search keywords/gametype etc.

> 2533274821761464;9:
> > 2533274818508074;5:
> > I agree, if they put effort in they could make it work. It doesn’t need a ranking system or anything either. It would definately make this not only one of the most interesting Halos yet, but one of the most interesting FPS as well. When younger I used to play WarCraft III and StarCraft alot, and they have been popular for over a decade after release because of the ability for the players to create their own games, with their own maps and game styles. Essentialy giving near limitless possibilities for games, while requiring minimal effort on the part of the games creators.
>
>
> This right here. Warcraft III custom games were the -Yoink-, and it always made me want to try new games that people were creating. I feel like the same would be true of Halo and they could implement a basic system like WC3 or Counter-strike to where you can search keywords/gametype etc.

Its something every Halo has failed to do. So many people praise Halo for its custom games, but the access to these modes with full lobbies is virtually impossible for anyone without friends. You can get lucky and invite recent players, but we all know how unsuccessful that really is.

> 2533274816174599;10:
> > 2533274821761464;9:
> > > 2533274818508074;5:
> > > I agree, if they put effort in they could make it work. It doesn’t need a ranking system or anything either. It would definately make this not only one of the most interesting Halos yet, but one of the most interesting FPS as well. When younger I used to play WarCraft III and StarCraft alot, and they have been popular for over a decade after release because of the ability for the players to create their own games, with their own maps and game styles. Essentialy giving near limitless possibilities for games, while requiring minimal effort on the part of the games creators.
> >
> >
> > This right here. Warcraft III custom games were the -Yoink-, and it always made me want to try new games that people were creating. I feel like the same would be true of Halo and they could implement a basic system like WC3 or Counter-strike to where you can search keywords/gametype etc.
>
>
> Its something every Halo has failed to do. So many people praise Halo for its custom games, but the access to these modes with full lobbies is virtually impossible for anyone without friends. You can get lucky and invite recent players, but we all know how unsuccessful that really is.

The Xbox One update this summer is supposed to include a Looking For Group feature of some sort I think, so maybe that will make it easier to find/host custom game lobbies.

I think that they should make a customs game playlist/lobby where people can host custom games. You could see how many players are required and whatever, set up by a host. They should do this once they stop doing active updates to Halo 5. Like once they start working on the next Halo, make this custom games lobby to appease people while they turn the majority of their resources to making the next volume of halo the best. That’d be awesome!

Another reason we need this badly especially for Halo 5 is because Arena multiplayer is just designed too much for ranked competitive games. I am not talking about gameplay at all here by the way. I am talking about the lobbies. You are unable to see the names of any players in your matchmade lobby before arena or warzone games. this is a very good design for a ranked mode, but it takes away from any social feel. you cant look at players’ profiles, their armor, or most importantly files.

Custom game lobbies are different though. You can do all of this already! Honestly implementing this would eventually make social arena not all that important and i bet 343 would prefer to focus on their competitive playlists anyway.

Its perfect. Let the community dictate their social games and their fun modes, while 343 sets up their ranked modes where players test their true skill.

> 2533274816174599;13:
> Another reason we need this badly especially for Halo 5 is because Arena multiplayer is just designed too much for ranked competitive games. I am not talking about gameplay at all here by the way. I am talking about the lobbies. You are unable to see the names of any players in your matchmade lobby before arena or warzone maps. this is a very good design for a ranked mode, but it takes away from any social feel. you cant look at players’ profiles, their armor, or most importantly files.
>
> Custom game lobbies are different though. You can do all of this already! Honestly implementing this would eventually make social arena not all that important and i bet 343 would prefer to focus on their competitive playlists anyway.
>
> Its perfect. Let the community dictate their social games and their fun modes, while 343 sets up their ranked modes where players test their true skill.

I agree, if they added a custom game browser there would be no need for social playlists. They can keep the arena playlists competitive.

I think a custom game browser is a great idea.

> 2533274873954403;14:
> > 2533274816174599;13:
> > Another reason we need this badly especially for Halo 5 is because Arena multiplayer is just designed too much for ranked competitive games. I am not talking about gameplay at all here by the way. I am talking about the lobbies. You are unable to see the names of any players in your matchmade lobby before arena or warzone maps. this is a very good design for a ranked mode, but it takes away from any social feel. you cant look at players’ profiles, their armor, or most importantly files.
> >
> > Custom game lobbies are different though. You can do all of this already! Honestly implementing this would eventually make social arena not all that important and i bet 343 would prefer to focus on their competitive playlists anyway.
> >
> > Its perfect. Let the community dictate their social games and their fun modes, while 343 sets up their ranked modes where players test their true skill.
>
>
> I agree, if they added a custom game browser there would be no need for social playlists. They can keep the arena playlists competitive.
>
> I think a custom game browser is a great idea.

Then please spread this message around! I think it is something that will actually put Halo back on top.

Their custom games look so fun. But want to know the truth? I have yet to play a single custom game. I have no friends on xbox one unfortunately with Halo 5, no spartan company, and recent players is not a reliable way to get people to join a lobby.

We seriously need this.

I’m bumping this thread because it deserves it and I agree with it.

I agree with abom. in this

> 2533274794242693;11:
> > 2533274816174599;10:
> > > 2533274821761464;9:
> > > > 2533274818508074;5:
> > > > I agree, if they put effort in they could make it work. It doesn’t need a ranking system or anything either. It would definately make this not only one of the most interesting Halos yet, but one of the most interesting FPS as well. When younger I used to play WarCraft III and StarCraft alot, and they have been popular for over a decade after release because of the ability for the players to create their own games, with their own maps and game styles. Essentialy giving near limitless possibilities for games, while requiring minimal effort on the part of the games creators.
> > >
> > >
> > > This right here. Warcraft III custom games were the -Yoink-, and it always made me want to try new games that people were creating. I feel like the same would be true of Halo and they could implement a basic system like WC3 or Counter-strike to where you can search keywords/gametype etc.
> >
> >
> > Its something every Halo has failed to do. So many people praise Halo for its custom games, but the access to these modes with full lobbies is virtually impossible for anyone without friends. You can get lucky and invite recent players, but we all know how unsuccessful that really is.
>
>
> The Xbox One update this summer is supposed to include a Looking For Group feature of some sort I think, so maybe that will make it easier to find/host custom game lobbies.

do you have any more info on this? Something like this would actually be really cool, as it can be used for more than just halo which sounds even better

> 2533274816174599;18:
> > 2533274794242693;11:
> > > 2533274816174599;10:
> > > > 2533274821761464;9:
> > > > > 2533274818508074;5:
> > > > > I agree, if they put effort in they could make it work. It doesn’t need a ranking system or anything either. It would definately make this not only one of the most interesting Halos yet, but one of the most interesting FPS as well. When younger I used to play WarCraft III and StarCraft alot, and they have been popular for over a decade after release because of the ability for the players to create their own games, with their own maps and game styles. Essentialy giving near limitless possibilities for games, while requiring minimal effort on the part of the games creators.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > This right here. Warcraft III custom games were the -Yoink-, and it always made me want to try new games that people were creating. I feel like the same would be true of Halo and they could implement a basic system like WC3 or Counter-strike to where you can search keywords/gametype etc.
> > >
> > >
> > > Its something every Halo has failed to do. So many people praise Halo for its custom games, but the access to these modes with full lobbies is virtually impossible for anyone without friends. You can get lucky and invite recent players, but we all know how unsuccessful that really is.
> >
> >
> > The Xbox One update this summer is supposed to include a Looking For Group feature of some sort I think, so maybe that will make it easier to find/host custom game lobbies.
>
>
> do you have any more info on this? Something like this would actually be really cool, as it can be used for more than just halo which sounds even better

http://news.xbox.com/2016/06/13/xbox-e3-2016-briefing-news-recap/
Looking for Group on Xbox Live. Like a “want ad” for multiplayer, Looking for Group on Xbox Live is the easiest way to seek out players who are available — and qualified — to jump into your multiplayer match right now.

How would a system like this work? What if you don’t want other players joining your game? If there was a system implemented, it would need to be optional.